Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering Rack Leak at Bushing?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296234-steering-rack-leak-bushing.html)

RumHam26 03-30-2021 05:29 PM

Steering Rack Leak at Bushing??

1 Attachment(s)
This is a photo of my main steering rack bushing. It seems to have a slow leak - a few drops on the ground over night. The location is interesting. I have heard these usually leak from the boots - this seems to by dripping right off the bushing/bushing bracket. I looked at it today (when fixing a coolant leak at tstat) and I could find anything driving from above. Has anyone seen a leak from this location before? Obviously I leave the bushing get really bad, so I'm wonder is the combo of rust and a beat bushing pit a hole in the rack. I didn't remove the bushing because I didn't have the time, and didn't want to leave my truck where it was parked in case I made it worse.

*Note the general wetness on the rack and everywhere is from fluid film I sprayed on it in the fall. The boots and the power steering line fitting looked dry.

Drew76 03-30-2021 08:31 PM

I got a used rack from the wreckers that had a leak exactly like that, pinhole under the bushing/clamp area from rust/corrosion. That bushing and clamp in the pic don't look too good.

MaineRunna 03-30-2021 08:54 PM

You need a new rack

RumHam26 03-31-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew76 (Post 3622219)
I got a used rack from the wreckers that had a leak exactly like that, pinhole under the bushing/clamp area from rust/corrosion. That bushing and clamp in the pic don't look too good.

Thanks - it helps to know it's been seen before

RumHam26 03-31-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaineRunna (Post 3622226)
You need a new rack

It was only a matter of time here in the Midwest. Glad I put off getting new inner tie rods a couple years back.

RumHam26 05-17-2021 09:53 AM

Well - I installed a new OEM rack. I took off the old one and sure enough, under the bushing the fluid was seeping right through the body of the rack. Crazy!

bob98sr5 05-24-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumHam26 (Post 3638125)
Well - I installed a new OEM rack. I took off the old one and sure enough, under the bushing the fluid was seeping right through the body of the rack. Crazy!

Good job and good decision on choosing OEM. I had to get a new one installed too after multiple fruitless attempts and sealing the leak. Was a waste of time.