Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   130k miles 4Runner suspension replacement? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296361-130k-miles-4runner-suspension-replacement.html)

Rpede 04-04-2021 02:54 AM

130k miles 4Runner suspension replacement?

First time 4Runner owner. My 4Runner has all original stock OEM suspension parts. There is little to no rust on suspension and underneath. Does it make sense to replace the old suspension parts preemptively? What should I look out for that may soon need replacement at this mileage? Read some reports of coils being worn down at this mileage or less responsive.

I’m almost positive that struts/shocks front back need replacement as well as my upper control arms. I want to keep things stock (no lift)...has anyone tried the BillStein 4160 (yellow/blue) struts/shocks? If I don’t go with the 4160s I may just get OEM unless if someone has a recommendation. For stock OEM fit type upper control arms there doesn’t seem to be many options other than moog and ax delco.

Any other maintenance tips at this mileage I should concern myself with? Water pump and radiator are original...expecting these to go bad soon but maybe they last longer on Toyota’s? Replaced my spark plugs, belt, 3 idler pulleys and PCV valve last week. All fluids have been changed. I’m expecting something like a wheel bearing being needed soon at this type of mileage.

Chubbypanda 04-04-2021 04:11 AM

So far you are on the right track...preemptive maintenance is always best.

I think you meant bilstien 4600 and this are good replacement over stock but for a bit more you can get the 5100 and adjust your front end slightly higher to level.

Have you greased your drive shaft? New wiper blades? Replaced cabin air filter? Brake pads and rotors!

djeepin 04-04-2021 03:35 PM

I think nothing better than original made in Japan components. Their steel production quality only surpassed by Swiss. All rubber components however deteriorating by that mileage, tear and wear, lubrications out - dirt in, and you have wear out components. Replacing all boots and seals will be cheaper and suffice. Unless someone in a shopping spree, only parts need replacing that bad already and need to be replaced.

MAD 69 04-04-2021 05:35 PM

Only 130K? I have 280K and all original suspension on my 3rd Gen, don't plan on needing a new one for my new 5th Gen til sometimes in the 2040's.
I would think it all depends on how hard you were riding off road.

4FL 04-04-2021 07:07 PM

Unless you are doing some extreme driving, there is no reason to replace any of that.

130k is not a lot at all.

Why you expect the water pump or radiator to go bad? Why you replace your idler pulleys?

Rpede 04-05-2021 12:26 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses this is helpful. I replaced my idler bearings because of hearing about so many of them going bad around my mileage. The water pump I was thinking of replacing only because of my experience with a Honda which the water pump went out almost every 100k...maybe I should hold off on this and I’m getting too paranoid about something going bad. I don’t see any signs of leaks around and on the water pump yet. This is my first Toyota ever and I’m not certain of what typically goes bad after 130k in mileage. I know the prior owner did some towing which worries me, I did drop the pan and changed the filter and cleaned the magnets. I expected way more debris on the magnets than what I saw, perhaps I am used to the Honda automatics which always seem to shed a lot and the magnet would be saturated. I can’t believe the price of used 4runners with mileage as high as mine which held me back for the longest time in buying this beautiful machine. I couldn’t hold back and finely decided to get one and am praying nothing major creeps up on me. Changing my oil every 5k and doing a drain and fill every year on the trans fluid, diffs/tc, and engine coolant. Probably overkill but it helps me sleep better lol. Still debating which oil filter to consistently use: the OEM or the OEM TRD. Some say the TRD oil filter is too restrictive but I would think Toyota would have already tested this possibility?

Jivewalker 04-05-2021 12:21 PM

I replaced all four of my shocks at around 140k. One of the fronts was starting to mist some oil on the housing. I researched the Billsteins and almost went with the 4160's, then I thought to myself, my stocks lasted 140k and I drive on some pretty rough washboard roads here and there. So, I went with the stock Tokico shocks. Think I paid around $150 or so and replaced them myself in the driveway. There is a way to do it without a spring compressor if you search around on here. Wasn't to bad, fronts took a little work and I could have used a helper but I got it done. Search on here for user SP8ball posts and you'll find the method I'm referencing.

Nuke 04-05-2021 01:03 PM

Preemptive is one thing. Premature is another.

I've owned 4 T4Rs (still have an '08 and '19), all high mileage with over 200,000 miles except the '19, and never replaced OE suspension components.

Muskrat14 04-05-2021 01:13 PM

I’m at 115K and know that my shocks and struts are due for replacement.

The handling is bad n she wanders all over.

As far as stock control arms and other suspension components, they all will stay. Nothing wrong with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rpede 04-05-2021 11:23 PM

@Jivewalker how have the 4160s been? Too firm or better than OEM?

1000MPH 04-05-2021 11:27 PM

My left front factory shock below at 86k. The rest were well worn. But I do a lot of desert off-road miles. My bushings still look good.

Jeremy556 04-05-2021 11:56 PM

That's not a lot of miles. Are your shocks leaking? if you rock the body and let go, does the motion stop in 1 cycle?

My first stock suspension part to fail was a front LCA bushing at about 260k miles, and my use is atypical. I think it probably would have lasted at least 50% longer under normal use.

Jivewalker 04-06-2021 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rpede (Post 3624496)
@Jivewalker how have the 4160s been? Too firm or better than OEM?

I decided against them and went with stocks (Tokico). Couldn't justify the Billstein price after getting 140k on my stocks. I'm at 218k now on the new set with no complaints.

Mudballz 04-06-2021 09:07 AM

You can have my stock shocks 1800 miles on them just pay shipping and boxing fees lmk
Mike