Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rad Rubber splash guards for 3rd gen? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296378-rad-rubber-splash-guards-3rd-gen.html)

velomatt 04-04-2021 06:23 PM

Rad Rubber splash guards for 3rd gen?

I just received a set and the fitment is terrible.
Anyone have any luck with Rad Rubber or did I get a bad set?

calicojax 04-05-2021 01:18 AM

I got booted from the 3rd gen. Mafia for asking this same question.
My experience started when it took months to get them, zero customer service. Fitment was okay. Had to make some adjustments. Still wish they covered more area. However the materials seem to be top notch.
This would be a good one for the Durabump dudes to make.:gun6:

Spiker Engineering 04-05-2021 10:12 AM

I used their 1" BL set. I got it to work, but it was not nearly as good a fit as OEM. And the supplied cheap fasteners were horrible, I ended up using some old OEM fasteners I had laying around.

cblock406 04-05-2021 02:32 PM

I am using their extended ones for the 1 inch body lift. Honestly, I thought they were really nice for the money and mine fit fine, maybe you got a bad set? Although I'd think they would all be identical.

3bears 04-06-2021 01:22 AM

I need some too, I came across these last night. Have not ordered,know nothing about them as far as fitment or quality.
also are twice the price, so should be twice as good right :)

Ark Splash Guards - Safeguard Your Vehicle

calicojax 06-14-2021 11:37 PM

They didn't even last a year. Rubber is ripping along the edge. Not even near a mounting hole. These are a joke!

Spiker Engineering 06-15-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calicojax (Post 3647131)
They didn't even last a year. Rubber is ripping along the edge. Not even near a mounting hole. These are a joke!

Mine have also cracked at all the fastener locations. I did contact Eddie at Rad Rubber, he said that this is highly unusual and sent me free replacements, which I have not yet put on. To be honest, I'm skeptical, it looks like the same stuff. Interestingly, the new pads came with instructions recommending soaking them in some fluid film (IIRC) to keep them pliable.

I'm seeing the future, which will be me making my own splash pads :).

JZiggy 06-15-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiker Engineering (Post 3647232)
Mine have also cracked at all the fastener locations. I did contact Eddie at Rad Rubber, he said that this is highly unusual and sent me free replacements, which I have not yet put on. To be honest, I'm skeptical, it looks like the same stuff. Interestingly, the new pads came with instructions recommending soaking them in some fluid film (IIRC) to keep them pliable.

I'm seeing the future, which will be me making my own splash pads :).

Is this needed because your old splash pads broke? Or are these upgrades vs. OEM?

Spiker Engineering 06-15-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3647279)
Is this needed because your old splash pads broke? Or are these upgrades vs. OEM?

It's because of my 1" body lift :). The originals were still perfectly fine, but I couldn't find a clean way to make them work with the body lift. I preferred the material of the originals over the replacement rubber pads, and indeed they look fine after 24 years, while the replacements are falling apart after one.

WeakSauz 06-15-2021 01:45 PM

They look nice in your hands, but the hole spacing is all wonky, and after 1.5yrs, mine are all dry rotted and cracked along the edges. They become brittle with age.

Agreed with a previous poster- Durobumps or another mfg should make a quality set :)

JZiggy 06-15-2021 02:26 PM

I bet they are made of neoprene or similar. Need a set made with fiberglass reinforced plasticized PVC instead.

Spiker Engineering 06-15-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3647334)
I bet they are made of neoprene or similar. Need a set made with fiberglass reinforced plasticized PVC instead.

Yep, they say "neoprene rubber".

3bears 06-15-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiker Engineering (Post 3647338)
Yep, they say "neoprene rubber".

thats too bad they dont hold up, cause I can use some....maybe Ill just swing by the tire shop, get some old truck innertubes...cut to shape and use the pop in's to hold in place. Those will prob last a year :)

spartacus 06-15-2021 04:27 PM

Buy Heavy duty neoprene rubber sheets and cut them out to size. 4th Gen section has a good thread as a guide.
DIY Engine Splash Shields.

Spiker Engineering 06-15-2021 04:45 PM

The Rad Rubber shields are a lot thicker than OEM. I wonder if the thinner material is better, as it would be more flexible? I'll be the first to admit though that soft goods are not my engineering forte.