Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   OEM steering rack bushings (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296408-oem-steering-rack-bushings.html)

Arn24 04-05-2021 07:13 PM

OEM steering rack bushings

Does anyone know if you can even buy the OEM bushings from Toyota? The only PN I've been able to find is for the bushing that goes around the entire rack on the passenger side, PN 4551735010, but I've been unable to find the other two (they're not even shown on the exploded diagram). Looking to replace the poly ones that I put on there (the worst 'upgrade' I've done IMO).

Thanks!

wao2000 04-05-2021 08:40 PM

Rack bushings

Toyota does not sell service parts for the driver's side rack mounting bushings. I have been told it is because the way it is manufactured "you" can not reinstall the bushings to factory specs. I have seen replacement bushings through other sources but have never tried to install them. We have a couple of 2000 4Runners in the family. On one of them the bushings were worn out and
the boots were cracked / torn and leaking so I just the replaced the rack and the power steering hose line assy. with brand new Toyota parts. It was pricey but I figured after twenty years it doesn't owe me anything and I won't have to mess with it again.

spartacus 04-05-2021 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arn24 (Post 3624395)
Does anyone know if you can even buy the OEM bushings from Toyota? The only PN I've been able to find is for the bushing that goes around the entire rack on the passenger side, PN 4551735010, but I've been unable to find the other two (they're not even shown on the exploded diagram). Looking to replace the poly ones that I put on there (the worst 'upgrade' I've done IMO).

Thanks!

I dont think you can find oem on line .Best bet is to call a local dealer and see if they can get em.

Skulking 04-05-2021 09:22 PM

When I replaced my rack about 18 months ago I installed energy suspension bushings on the new rack. I just dug through a box and found what I believe to be the new OEM bushings that I pressed out of the new rack. The tall one has a part number on it 45522-35040 which doesn't come back to anything available through a dealer, but seems to come up as the steering gear bushing available from China. The shorter one doesn't have any identifying information on it. If you want them, they are yours for the cost of shipping. PM me if you are interested.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...eb743bb7_b.jpg

2001 Limited 285K 04-05-2021 10:13 PM

Had a similar problem back in January so I am under the impression that the answer is "no." The same shop that installed my SafeTCap installed new Moog rack bushings for me. I guess they're okay but TBH I can't tell the difference between the old worn out bushings and the new Moogs. (The "stiff steering" problem that I had on cold mornings was ultimately traced to a lack of Power Steering (ATF) fluid, not the rack bushings.)

whyzee125 04-05-2021 10:20 PM

Just get the Dorman ones or similar from Rock Auto.

I'm curious what happened with your poly ones however.

I have 2 4Runners at the moment and one has new Dorman and one has new Energy Suspension Poly and they both feel great. Zero NVH and you wouldn't know it's not stock. Very tight steering with no vibrations.

cl4Rk 04-05-2021 10:26 PM

OEM steering rack bushings

Quote:

the worst 'upgrade' I've done IMO

Not to hijack the thread, but why did you dislike the poly bushings?

T4R2014 04-06-2021 01:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

The long bushing mentioned below is on Amayama for $60, but that's still not a complete set.

Somehow I think your problem is bigger. Poly shouldn't feel that awful. I installed poly bushings because it was the best option short of replacing the rack, which I didn't want to do just yet. I'm pretty anti poly bushing but in this application I really can't see how they are worse than worn originals.

I think the new poly bushings have uncovered another bad part in your suspension. Could be control arm bushings, column play, or even play within the rack. It's hard to fix this without replacing everything, since everything gets worn to piss after 25 years.

Vansnxtweek 04-06-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl4Rk (Post 3624483)
Not to hijack the thread, but why did you dislike the poly bushings?

I'd like to know the same thing. Wondering if you may be blaming them for a different problem?

I've had them on two different vehicles and been nothing but satisfied.

Arn24 04-06-2021 08:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

The current issue with the poly bushings is that they are making noise, I believe. With the exception of tbe UCA bushings, all front suspension components have been replaced within the last 25k miles. But I knew from the day I installed the poly bushings (installed while chasing down what ended up being a tire issue) that I would regret it. Suddenly every bump, crack, or rock in the road was being felt in the steering wheel. I prefer to be isolated from what's going on underneath.

Thanks again!

Vansnxtweek 04-06-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arn24 (Post 3624587)
Thanks for all the replies!

The current issue with the poly bushings is that they are making noise, I believe. With the exception of tbe UCA bushings, all front suspension components have been replaced within the last 25k miles. But I knew from the day I installed the poly bushings (installed while chasing down what ended up being a tire issue) that I would regret it. Suddenly every bump, crack, or rock in the road was being felt in the steering wheel. I prefer to be isolated from what's going on underneath.

Thanks again!

I hear ya man. I just installed poly everywhere in my front suspension and I could be imagining it but I do feel like some NVH could be present. The ride is hugely improved and I still need to fix my slip joint but I do notice some wheel feedback. Hope you get it sorted out.

Arn24 04-07-2021 10:20 PM

I'll be going back to the OEM rack bushings shortly, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Vansnxtweek 04-08-2021 05:19 AM

Thanks man, I’ll be looking for a report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk