Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Emergency parking brake noise (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/296435-emergency-parking-brake-noise.html)

rwh963 04-06-2021 07:27 PM

Emergency parking brake noise

so, i put my runner up on ramps to check out a few things. i put the e-brake on (first time used in a long time). went out for a drive after, and started to hear thunking noises and could feel resistance. i pulled over, worked the e-brake a couple of times, drove quiet for a short distance, then the issue came back. it has to be the e-brake. anyone encounter this, and any quick fix?

rdruss 04-06-2021 07:57 PM

Just happen to be inspecting mine this week, only done pass side so far but when I do it I pull the wheel, caliper and rotor and take a good look. Sounds like you should do the same. My pass side was good, still good pad left and springs were not rusted up (amazing). I sanded the pads a little and the inside of rotor, blew all off with brake cleaner and reassembled.
If the brake assembly is trashed it looks like a job to replace, have to pull the axle(?).

meonard 04-07-2021 08:44 PM

There’s a real possibility that the parking brake cables are sticking. This happened on my 2011, it’s from a rusty climate and they both froze. Had to replace the cables to correct it.

As an aside I would suggest that the PB should not be used as it might not release and could cause a severe overheating problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwh963 04-08-2021 06:31 PM

update: issue has backed off, for now. almost certainly from using the e-brake that time. the shoe mechanism must have backed off the rotor hat enough to not
cause the issue. not gonna use the brake again (unless i absolutely have to). if the rears get done, then i'll have them looked at an adjusted, etc.

Mike07SE 04-09-2021 08:50 AM

I had an issue once that eluded me to the point I removed the whole parking brake. I've since got it resolved and did so only by noticing the issue by accident.

Double check the backside of the hub flange (where the wheel studs pass through). For whatever reason there's a plate riveted onto the backside of the flange. If it's bent or distorted, it has the potential to kick the parking brake shoe during rotation just enough to create issues / noises.