Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid Plate Recessed Bolt Issue (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296464-skid-plate-recessed-bolt-issue.html)

TX4Running 04-07-2021 06:52 PM

Skid Plate Recessed Bolt Issue

I bought my original 2001 SR5 4WD back from the guy I had sold it to 7 years ago. Trying to drop the skid plate and the final 12 mm recessed bolt is starting to strip. I've sprayed it with PB Blaster. Any other suggestions?

I'm trying to change the oil and I know it's possible to do it without dropping it, but eventually it has to come down anyways. Thanks.

alumarine 04-07-2021 08:24 PM

Is the bolt head stripped or the the bolt itself?

If it's the bolt, try and pry it out while turning it.

Devbot 04-07-2021 08:32 PM

you know what time it is :flamethrwoer2::flamethrwoer2::flamethrwoer2:

TX4Running 04-07-2021 09:02 PM

The bolt head is stripping. Not quite done but my 12 mm socket won't grab it. I ordered a 12 mm bolt extractor socket.

Devbot 04-07-2021 09:25 PM

If you're trying to finish today you should be able to pick them up at any Lowes/Home Depot/etc, if you're talking about these suckers. I believe some auto parts stores even carry them, think I saw some in o'reillys. They're a life saver for sure

TX4Running 04-07-2021 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3625258)
If you're trying to finish today you should be able to pick them up at any Lowes/Home Depot/etc, if you're talking about these suckers. I believe some auto parts stores even carry them, think I saw some in o'reillys. They're a life saver for sure

Yes sir. Ordered a 12 mm of those. Hope it does the trick. Fortunately, I can let the truck sit in my garage for a few days. Will hit it with PB Blaster each day and when the bolt extractor arrives on Saturday, I will try to get it out. Thanks.

Vansnxtweek 04-08-2021 05:21 AM

Don’t underestimate the power of vise grips if the socket doesn’t work. I’d get a screwdriver in there to pry like someone said to help it and get the vise grips as tight as possible and she should come on out. Good luck, ain’t nothing more aggravating than one stinking bolt taking up all your time. Those skid plate bolts drive me insane. I’ve had my battles with them for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vansnxtweek 04-08-2021 05:22 AM

After I typed this I saw you said “recessed”

My bad, vise grips ain’t gonna work there. Fingers crossed for the socket!

TX4Running 04-08-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansnxtweek (Post 3625341)
After I typed this I saw you said “recessed”

My bad, vise grips ain’t gonna work there. Fingers crossed for the socket!

No problem. Anyone know part numbers to replace the skid plate bolts? Or size to buy some new ones? Thanks.

Vansnxtweek 04-08-2021 08:49 AM

These look like it to me.

GENUINE TOYOTA UNDER COVER SPLASH SHIELD SKID PLATE BOLT 90080-11373 | eBay

Was trying to find the skid plate/bolts on the OEM parts diagram but still searching.

Finally found the skid plate in the diagram but it doesn't show the bolts, haha. Radiator Support for 2001 Toyota 4Runner | Camelback Toyota Parts

I have a strong feeling those bolts in the ebay auction are it.

P/N 90080-11373

You could just go to your local hardware store and take a good bolt and match it up. I'd replace them all and put anti-seize on them when you install them. They either have to be 8 or 10mm thread bolts.

cl4Rk 04-08-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TX4Running (Post 3625364)
No problem. Anyone know part numbers to replace the skid plate bolts? Or size to buy some new ones? Thanks.

I believe the skid plate bolts are M8-1.25 x 25mm flange bolts. You can get them in stainless steel. And as @Vansnxtweek said, coat them with some anti-seize.

phattyduck 04-08-2021 04:29 PM

Also, always use 6-point sockets when working on a vehicle... Though likely the bolt was damaged before you got to it.

-Charlie

Endlessblockades 04-08-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cl4Rk (Post 3625367)
I believe the skid plate bolts are M8-1.25 x 25mm flange bolts. You can get them in stainless steel. And as @Vansnxtweek said, coat them with some anti-seize.

Yep - I upgrade any fastener I can with a higher grade/stronger material. There are lotsa online bolt distros with every damn thing you can imagine (if your local HW store or big box doesn't have it). My last order came from the boltdepot.com because high-grade metric bolts and nuts in a 1.25 TP aren't always easy to find on the fly.

Also, it's a good idea to hit a pick-n-pull for a vast assortment of Japanese fasteners for your Magic Bucket. You do have a Magic Bucket,.......right? LOL

turnstylz 04-10-2021 01:45 AM

For those that stumble on this tread and want oem, can confirm original part number 90119-08A33, replaced by 90080-11373

Zoom-a-Loom 04-10-2021 05:10 AM

I use allen head stainless, never a problem & can use a vice grip on the head if needed