Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   6th Gen Must be Coming Out of Japan (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/296479-6th-gen-must-coming-out-japan.html)

RichinRidgewood 04-08-2021 01:04 PM

6th Gen Must be Coming Out of Japan

Here is what I think

We have heard NOTHING about it. Media, Construction, Engineering, Assemblers, Suppliers haven’t said a thing and thats rare. The vehicle would have to go through crash, emissions etc. and there would be leaks if it was happening in the US

I read that the Japanese Market is getting the “Hilux Surf” again aka (4Runner). It’s right hand drive. There are different frames for RHD and LHD vehicles and if you are planning to do both a single frame would be the best way to go. We dont need a RHD in the US.

Japanese dont like vehicles manufactured in the US. Ford has tried, and other US manufactures too, for decades to sell US models in Japan and have not been successful. Ford pulled out of Japan a few years ago after “being” there for a long time.

SAND619 04-08-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3625451)
Here is what I think

We have heard NOTHING about it. Media, Construction, Engineering, Assemblers, Suppliers haven’t said a thing and thats rare. The vehicle would have to go through crash, emissions etc. and there would be leaks if it was happening in the US

I read that the Japanese Market is getting the “Hilux Surf” again aka (4Runner). It’s right hand drive. There are different frames for RHD and LHD vehicles and if you are planning to do both a single frame would be the best way to go. We dont need a RHD in the US.

Japanese dont like vehicles manufactured in the US. Ford has tried, and other US manufactures too, for decades to sell US models in Japan and have not been successful. Ford pulled out of Japan a few years ago after “being” there for a long time.

I agree. If it were to be built in the U.S., I'm pretty sure we would've seen prototypes being driven near Toyota's HQ in Texas by now (like the Tundra). This is a good sign in my opinion. Looks like they will stick with building the Land Cruiser, Prado, GX, and 4Runner at the same Tahara plant in Japan. This means it will remain BOF and likely share engines with the Prado/GX.

thennen 04-08-2021 04:21 PM

Yeah, all 4Runners have been made in Japan forever. I don't see them changing that. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, Consumer Reports called the 4Runner the most reliable vehicle you could buy, period. I can't imagine Toyota would jeopardize that reputation - the Japanese as a society value quality and a job well done very highly. So you don't have to teach your employees that mindset. I'm on my third 4Runner, and my experience agrees with Consumer Reports.

Maybe they want to avoid the media crush that the Bronco has received. While that can be a good thing, it's gone on a very long time in the case of the Bronco, and people's expectations may have risen to larger-than-life levels that the Bronco ultimately doesn't live up to. Additionally, if the 4Runner ends up being a direct competitor, look at all the time Toyota has had to dissect and analyze the Bronco so far, including buyer acceptance of whatever features it offers.

My 2 cents.

Swipter 04-08-2021 07:23 PM

I would not buy a US built 4runner, as bad as that sounds.

nimby 04-10-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3625451)
Here is what I think

I typically don't keep track of these sorts of timelines, but you think spy shots would come out 1.5 years before the new gen was to be released? That seems early to me.

RichinRidgewood 04-11-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimby (Post 3626290)
I typically don't keep track of these sorts of timelines, but you think spy shots would come out 1.5 years before the new gen was to be released? That seems early to me.

IMHO If it’s 2022 model year there should have been some thing by now, less but at least some information if it was a 2023.

As an example, I was considering purchasing a non-automotive product, when I was speaking to the manufacture about the current model they showed me a picture of the prototype for the new model. I knew about it before the distributors did. ... a leak

nimby 04-12-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3626356)
IMHO If it’s 2022 model year there should have been some thing by now, less but at least some information if it was a 2023.

As an example, I was considering purchasing a non-automotive product, when I was speaking to the manufacture about the current model they showed me a picture of the prototype for the new model. I knew about it before the distributors did. ... a leak

All reliable info points to a 2023 model year for the 6th gen, not 2022. That's why there aren't any spy shots......they probably aren't even road testing the thing yet.

RichinRidgewood 04-12-2021 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimby (Post 3626841)
All reliable info points to a 2023 model year for the 6th gen, not 2022. That's why there aren't any spy shots......they probably aren't even road testing the thing yet.

Ok if thats what you think.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 04-13-2021 05:21 AM

the 4Runner/Hilux Surf and Prado are also built in the Hino Plant in Hamura, Japan. Also, the differences in the ladder frames between LHD and RHD is minimal. It's in the body that has the bigger difference

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAND619 (Post 3625517)
I agree. If it were to be built in the U.S., I'm pretty sure we would've seen prototypes being driven near Toyota's HQ in Texas by now (like the Tundra). This is a good sign in my opinion. Looks like they will stick with building the Land Cruiser, Prado, GX, and 4Runner at the same Tahara plant in Japan. This means it will remain BOF and likely share engines with the Prado/GX.

RichinRidgewood 04-13-2021 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3627014)
... the differences in the ladder frames between LHD and RHD is minimal.....

After having experience with adding the RHD option to a LHD vehicle on a couple projects while working at Ford Motor Company I can say that is not true.
It effects, steering, parking brake, brake, interior, HVAC just to name a few systems.

RichinRidgewood 04-13-2021 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3627029)
After having experience with adding the RHD option to a LHD vehicle on a couple projects while working at Ford Motor Company I can say that is not true.
It effects, steering, parking brake, brake, interior, HVAC just to name a few systems.

Windshield, wipers, headlights, transmission shifter, airbags, ...

nimby 04-13-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3626972)
Ok if thats what you think.

I'll admit, it is all a guessing game.

But there is this to support my claim.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...3363b30d_z.jpg

This is the most credible leak in my book.

nimby 04-13-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beedee (Post 3627301)
Great pic, I noticed each other model has a time of year in accordance to the year (Fall, Fall, Summer, Q3, etc...). but the Sequoia and 4Runner don't, it only says 2022. Could they maybe be looking at Q4 since they didn't specify a time frame?

To me, it makes the most sense to look at what Toyota historically does.

Typically they release new 4Runners in Q3. So my best guess is that we're looking at Sept 2022 for the release of the 6th gen as a 2023 Model Year.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 04-14-2021 06:58 AM

except for the brakes, those parts that you mentioned are in the body, not the ladder frame.
That's why i said in my post that the bigger difference is in the body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3627029)

RichinRidgewood 04-14-2021 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3627389)
except for the brakes, those parts that you mentioned are in the body, not the ladder frame.
That's why i said in my post that the bigger difference is in the body.

To what do you think many of those parts connect?

It’s not a trivial project and useless you plan on building a lot of them it isnt normally done.