Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   best skid for cats (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296517-best-skid-cats.html)

orcking 04-10-2021 05:43 AM

best skid for cats

Who makes the best skid plates that cover both front and back cats and make it really hard for them to be stolen.?

85GT-79FJ40 04-10-2021 07:29 AM

I've been thinking the same thing.... Moving to a much more urban setting than I'm in now shortly with no garage.

NB17Limited 04-10-2021 08:29 AM

From the pictures on websites, C4 Fab looks like they cover the best. I wish they came in aluminum though. I too am moving from a garage to an unknown house in Southern California in the near future and have been looking for the same protection. I am probably going to get RCI aluminum and weld extra wings on to cover the cats better.

85GT-79FJ40 04-10-2021 08:35 AM

I have the RCI front skid and it's awesome. I'll probably do the rest of theirs eventually. The trans one looks like it has pretty good coverage for the subject at hand. Honestly I'm more concerned with leaving my motorcycle and my project Mustang out all the time. Might need to build a garage soon.

TRD PANTHER 04-10-2021 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NB17Limited (Post 3626057)
From the pictures on websites, C4 Fab looks like they cover the best. I wish they came in aluminum though. I too am moving from a garage to an unknown house in Southern California in the near future and have been looking for the same protection. I am probably going to get RCI aluminum and weld extra wings on to cover the cats better.

Yes, the new C4 skids looks to protect that area well. $379 for the rear that covers the transmission and transfer case and includes a strong support bracket. Steel only and no powder coating. 4Runner Rear Skid Plates / 5th Gen / 2010+ - C4 Fabrication
CBI has a similar design and they have an aluminum and powder coat option. $614
CBI Offroad Fab - Toyota 4Runner Rear Skid Plate | 2010-2020 -
Both of these links do not show the front skid plates to complete the skid package for non TRD Pros. $729 for the complete C4 package, steel only, no powder coating. $899 for the complete CBI package in steel no powder coating, $1099 for the complete package in aluminum powder coated.

RichinRidgewood 04-10-2021 09:04 AM

What about just taking the cat. off and putting it back on when you need it . You could use stainless bolts so if you need to do one of those stupid “inspections” in the state you reside you can easily put it back on for a couple days.

Charlievee 04-10-2021 09:07 AM

URD Off Road Y Pipe for 2010+ 4Runner V6 - Underdog Racing Development

Can't steal them if you don't have them.

RichinRidgewood 04-10-2021 09:47 AM

An individual stole the catalytic converter off my 4runner this morning. The good news is I never have to DEQ it any more so I just straight piped it and still left a information for the future tweaker << stunning | Anible

RichinRidgewood 04-10-2021 09:50 AM

The BDSM version of protecting your cat.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Converter-Lock

Old Tanker 04-10-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3626069)
The BDSM version of protecting your cat.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Converter-Lock

Not sure it makes sense to spend over $400 on the off chance that I could lose $1000. It might be worth it for video to see the reaction of thieves looking under the frame.

jawkdna 04-10-2021 07:56 PM

This thread cost me money.
This thread saved me money.

I pulled the trigger on the RCI transmission skid, I already have their engine skid plate and I love it.

Living in SF priuses are the prime target of cat thefts but I want to make my rig as hard a target as possible encouraging the thieves to move to a softer target.

$300 skid is cheaper than a Cat. And I wanted the protection anyways for adventuring.

NotTheMoose 04-11-2022 01:59 PM

Install

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawkdna (Post 3626231)

I pulled the trigger on the RCI transmission skid, I already have their engine skid plate and I love it.

Living in SF priuses are the prime target of cat thefts but I want to make my rig as hard a target as possible encouraging the thieves to move to a softer target.

$300 skid is cheaper than a Cat. And I wanted the protection anyways for adventuring.

How'd the install go on these? Does it require the front skid? I've seen your posts in the other CC protection thread -- it looks like these RCI skids install well, possibly more easily than the Talons Garage model. And I like the look of the ventilation.

NotTheMoose 04-11-2022 02:02 PM

RCI >> C4 or RSG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 85GT-79FJ40 (Post 3626058)
I have the RCI front skid and it's awesome. I'll probably do the rest of theirs eventually. The trans one looks like it has pretty good coverage for the subject at hand.

I'm in market for CC protection/skids. What do you like about RCI? And did you end up getting the Trans/CC skids? Did they install well?

flyrv9 04-11-2022 02:04 PM

I thought the computer would detect the absence of the cat from the downstream O2 sensor and post a fault; or create issues with fuel mixture settings based on loss of that O2 data.

TRDHULK 04-11-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawkdna (Post 3626231)

So the RCI skid protects the cat well?