Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Short lived lower ball joint (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296535-short-lived-lower-ball-joint.html)

TucsonMike 04-10-2021 07:47 PM

Short lived lower ball joint

About 60k miles ago when I upgraded my suspension I replaced my LBJ as they had 212k on them. Today when doing routine maintenance I checked the LBJs and passenger side has play ( up and down movement). When I replaced them I did use genuine toyota parts and my lift is only about 1.5" from stock. I was surprised the LBJ didnt last very long. I do 4 wheel but nothing extreme. Perhaps the lift caused the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Thanks

MikeM

Fiffa 04-10-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TucsonMike (Post 3626228)
About 60k miles ago when I upgraded my suspension I replaced my LBJ as they had 212k on them. Today when doing routine maintenance I checked the LBJs and passenger side has play ( up and down movement). When I replaced them I did use genuine toyota parts and my lift is only about 1.5" from stock. I was surprised the LBJ didnt last very long. I do 4 wheel but nothing extreme. Perhaps the lift caused the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar situation.

Thanks

MikeM

Would this happen to be the Mike that built my badass storage system???? :wave:

I noticed the same on my LBJ's that the previous owner replaced roughly 55k miles prior. They definitely weren't shot, but they were pretty floppy when I checked during the LCA bushing change. I put new ones in to be safe, but I'm a little concerned that I'll be doing this in another 50k miles.

TucsonMike 04-10-2021 08:27 PM

Wrong Mike, but thanks for reply

RedSled 04-10-2021 08:52 PM

When you say oem, is that from the dealership, or elsewhere? Just curious because of the knockoffs.

TucsonMike 04-10-2021 08:54 PM

I ordered them online from Toyota dealer.

nissanh 04-10-2021 09:56 PM

Can you let u know who the dealer was? Directly from dealer's website?

FD7683 04-11-2021 06:48 PM

Mcgeorge Toyota had them the cheapest at $230 for both ball joints and 8 bolts. It's more expensive now.

Anyone have the # number for both lower ball joints as a kit? I forgot to write the part # down and were $20 cheaper for the pair.

2001 Limited 285K 04-12-2021 11:55 AM

I've gotten about 140K miles out of the set on mine right now but it's definitely time for a new pair. Went to my local stealer this morning to place the order for OEMs and found that they're back-ordered two to three weeks. One of them, the right side I think, doesn't have stock anywhere in the entire United States. According to the parts guy's computer there are 393 of them "in transit." I guess that means on a ship somewhere between the U.S. and Japan but who knows.

I pre-paid and placed the order because these seem pretty hard to get. My installer at Japanese Auto City says $176 for the install each side. So $352 in labor for both. Total cost works out to be $716.98: $364.98 for the OEM joints and bolts, plus the labor.

Considering the catastrophe that could occur by letting them go, it's well worth it IMO.

JZiggy 04-12-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD7683 (Post 3626508)
Mcgeorge Toyota had them the cheapest at $230 for both ball joints and 8 bolts. It's more expensive now.

Anyone have the # number for both lower ball joints as a kit? I forgot to write the part # down and were $20 cheaper for the pair.

04005-02235

I ordered this and got a pair of balljoints and some cotter pins.

MStudt 04-12-2021 12:54 PM

I change my out every 25k like clock work regardless of the condition. I've had both OEM and Napa wear extremely quick, and my solution was just to change them out more often.

Mike

TonyB66 04-12-2021 01:00 PM

Might there be an aftermkt solution of better design, something more stout that lasts longer?

Black798 04-12-2021 01:05 PM

Unfortunately this seems to be the new norm. The last 3 sets of lbjs I have gotten came direct from the toyota dealership and they barely made it 10k before they had slop. The OEM quality doesn't seem to be what it used to be. I know I am hard on parts but the first set of oems lasted about 50k before they had slop so the lifespan has definitely gone done. At this point I am just checking and replacing as needed every 5k. I do know there is a permanent cure in the works from a new company, saw this the other day and it looks pretty enticing. Lower Ball Joint Cure —

cl4Rk 04-12-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black798 (Post 3626750)
permanent cure in the works from a new company, saw this the other day and it looks pretty enticing. Lower Ball Joint Cure —

Pretty sure if they figure this out, almost everyone here would eventually buy them...

TucsonMike 04-12-2021 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. That sucks if the quality has indeed gone down hill and the life expectancy off the joints have been reduced. Luckily it's not too bad of a job but replacing them under 50k is unacceptable to me as they should last longer.

rkntoy 04-12-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MStudt (Post 3626744)
I change my out every 25k like clock work regardless of the condition. I've had both OEM and Napa wear extremely quick, and my solution was just to change them out more often.

Mike

This is what I do. But I also wheel mine.