Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stock real world MPG trd offroqd premium vs limited (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296553-stock-real-world-mpg-trd-offroqd-premium-vs-limited.html)

Spielightdude 04-11-2021 04:57 PM

Stock real world MPG trd offroqd premium vs limited

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at a trd iffroad premium and a or a limited.
Looking for bone stock real world mpg. You guys get,
Thanks everyone

RichinRidgewood 04-11-2021 05:35 PM

Ha... funny I was thinking the same thing.

I can tell you that when I engage 4wd when it’s raining it takes awhile longer to get to 20 mpg on the current trip fuel economy gauge on my ‘20 SR5P.

We are supposed to engage 4wd every month for 10 miles so I use rainy day driving to do this.

Bossman 04-11-2021 06:48 PM

Real World MPG with 5th Gen?

fkheath 04-11-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3626497)
We are supposed to engage 4wd every month for 10 miles so I use rainy day driving to do this.

Not true. You do not need to use 4WD occasionally. That was the rules years and years ago, but with modern cars, it is not needed. Everything gets lubricated in 2WD in the 4Runner.

fkheath 04-11-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spielightdude (Post 3626483)
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at a trd iffroad premium and a or a limited.
Looking for bone stock real world mpg. You guys get,
Thanks everyone

The EPA gas mileage estimates shown on the window stickers are measured under ideal conditions. Thus you can expect slightly less in real world driving. On a trip to Vernal, Utah (Dinosaur National Park) during spring break, I got 20 MPG both ways with my SR5 Premium.

Tuco S. 04-12-2021 12:28 AM

Your mileage will depend on how you drive it. These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick. If you have a heavy foot and drive over 75mph on the highway, your mileage will probably suck.

Just for reference, I usually do 5 miles over the speed limit, and do a mix of city/highway miles. Mine was 19.5 mpg over the first 16500 miles, tracked on fuelly.

MAD 69 04-12-2021 04:07 AM

I have a little over 400 miles on my '21 ORP, I drive an hour to work on the Xpress way (no stop & go) and my readings are saying almost 23mpg - leaving the cruise control at 68mph. My 3rd Gen still gets over 21mpg with the same commute.

ElectroBoy 04-12-2021 04:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3626574)
Not true. You do not need to use 4WD occasionally. That was the rules years and years ago, but with modern cars, it is not needed. Everything gets lubricated in 2WD in the 4Runner.

Yes true. Read your owners manual.
The first pic is from a page in the 2018 manual. The second is from the 2021 model year. Nothing has changed.

Spielightdude 04-12-2021 05:52 AM

Thank you everyone,
I appreciate it.
Wondering how.much difference having a trd offrad premium with part time 4 wheel drove vs limited with full time 4 wheel drove would differ.
Either way sounds better than my current tundra that is stock on the highway that gets 16.5 highway.

lewdog998 04-12-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3626574)

I agree to a point, but would offer this info....

I don't think it matters to the actual t case, front diff etc....but it would help exercise the electronic t case actuator....maybe that is the line of thought.

I had a 4wd Tahoe a few years back, and if I did not put it 4wheel drive often, the actuator would seize....it was a common issue on these back in around 2006.

Just a thought.

kenwilliams0803 04-12-2021 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog998 (Post 3626650)
I agree to a point, but would offer this info....

I don't think it matters to the actual t case, front diff etc....but it would help exercise the electronic t case actuator....maybe that is the line of thought.

I had a 4wd Tahoe a few years back, and if I did not put it 4wheel drive often, the actuator would seize....it was a common issue on these back in around 2006.

Just a thought.

This was a common tundra/sequoia issue too.

Whenever I randomly end up on a dirt road traveling for work, I'll pop it into 4wd just for the sake of exercising it. But it's never for 10 full miles.

lewdog998 04-12-2021 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fwiw
.. 16.5 mpg
922 miles....cruise at about 73 to 75....heading due west i40 nashville to North tx.

2020 trd pro...no lift

Tires not stock....new goodyear duratracs 285s....spec out to be 33 inches according to goodyear. 285 od varies by manufacturer

Cndnmax 04-12-2021 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spielightdude (Post 3626628)
Thank you everyone,
I appreciate it.
Wondering how.much difference having a trd offrad premium with part time 4 wheel drove vs limited with full time 4 wheel drove would differ.
Either way sounds better than my current tundra that is stock on the highway that gets 16.5 highway.

There are way too many human factors that affect MPG. Unless you find someone that lives in your are and drives like you do, it’ll be different.
Generally speaking 2wd will get better MPG than Fulltime 4WD because of driveline losses. Toyota says you get a 1mpg loss on average during ideal conditions.

Nuke 04-12-2021 09:48 AM

I've been keeping strict fuel mileage records on every vehicle I've owned since the 1980's and ever since vehicles began including on-board calculations I've been comparing on-board vs hand calculated for nearly 20 years. With that said, there are many, many variables such that 2 identical vehicles with 2 different drivers could see average fuel mileage differences of 5-10 mpg.

I have both an '08 T4R Sport and a '19 T4R ORP. The '08 is my around town utility vehicle and sees more stop and go than my '19 as well as occasionally towing a bass boat. It averages 19 mpg hand calculated/21.5 per the on-board.

The '19 sees mostly trips of 20 miles or more with very little stop and go but still only gets about 22.5 hand calculated/24 per the on-board.

Spielightdude 04-13-2021 09:19 PM

Thank you everyone!