Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rust protection advice needed - CRC over fluid film ? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296557-rust-protection-advice-needed-crc-over-fluid-film.html)

skag1T 04-11-2021 07:52 PM

Rust protection advice needed - CRC over fluid film ?

Last year i undercoated my 4R with fluid film.

I used spray cans and it was really messy, the can nozzles were clogging up, etc. but i did the best i could and sprayed that stuff everywhere i could reach, including in every hole that I could see.

Now I did more research and it seems CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor could be a better product, at least it's a one time deal, to my understanding.

I am trying to avoid having to fluid film every year ....

So how do I spray CRC over fluid fild now ? Is it possible ? Last I checked underneath, it's all a bit oily but not too bad.

I don't have a lift and fluid film was a pain to apply, if CRC can be applied one time (2 coats and giving it 12 hours for each coat to cure) I would totally go for that.

Seattle area is not really bad for rust but I still want to overcoat my 4runner.

Any thoughts appreciated.

RichinRidgewood 04-11-2021 07:57 PM

Just pay a shop that does Fluid Film full time to do the job right. Take down your spare and skid plates and rinse off the undercarriage a few days early so its dry when you take it there.

Srt4runner 04-11-2021 10:07 PM

I have an air compressor and bought a fluid film kit that has a spray gun with different nozzles. It works great for applying it. I've been using fluid film on my 5th gen since new in lovely salty illinois and don't have any rust. I do one thick coating in the fall when I put my winter wheels on. I would put down a large tarp and put it on jackstands. I just spray over what was on there before. I have no apparent rust and it seems to work great so I'm not sure going to something "better" is worth it. The fluid film does get coated in small rocks and dirt by the spring time. Works well enough for me.

ruff4runner 04-11-2021 10:36 PM

Have you looked at 3m cavity wax plus? It's used at a lot of bodyshops when they do repairs and replace panels. They also sell a wand to get inside frames as well.

lewdog998 04-12-2021 02:42 AM

Check out Project Farm on youtube...he did a test on both the crc and fluid film...
Just search project farm rust.

As I recall the crc is cosmoline(sp?) ...same stuff they put on guns for super l ong term storage.

lewdog998 04-12-2021 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruff4runner (Post 3626569)
Have you looked at 3m cavity wax plus? It's used at a lot of bodyshops when they do repairs and replace panels. They also sell a wand to get inside frames as well.

Nothing better than a freshly waxed cavity...

_JT_ 04-12-2021 10:28 AM

Now that's funny...

skag1T 04-12-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srt4runner (Post 3626561)
I have an air compressor and bought a fluid film kit that has a spray gun with different nozzles. It works great for applying it. I've been using fluid film on my 5th gen since new in lovely salty illinois and don't have any rust. I do one thick coating in the fall when I put my winter wheels on. I would put down a large tarp and put it on jackstands. I just spray over what was on there before. I have no apparent rust and it seems to work great so I'm not sure going to something "better" is worth it. The fluid film does get coated in small rocks and dirt by the spring time. Works well enough for me.

Srt4runner, do you clean the surfaces before you spray ? I'm thinking soap and water ? Or you just spray a new coat on top of the old one ?

I have a thin layer of grime on my underbody and it does not go away with water only.

skag1T 04-12-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog998 (Post 3626614)
Check out Project Farm on youtube...he did a test on both the crc and fluid film...
Just search project farm rust.

As I recall the crc is cosmoline(sp?) ...same stuff they put on guns for super l ong term storage.

I have watched that, and several more.

The appeal of CRC is that you only apply it once and that's it, no need to re-apply every year - as far as I understand.

Srt4runner 04-12-2021 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skag1T (Post 3626702)
Srt4runner, do you clean the surfaces before you spray ? I'm thinking soap and water ? Or you just spray a new coat on top of the old one ?

I have a thin layer of grime on my underbody and it does not go away with water only.

I've been just applying over everything every year. I figured having a coating of grime is better than a coating of rust. Keep in mind my 4runner is 95% on road. If I had layers of thick mud from off roading I would probably try to wash most of it off first.

ruff4runner 04-12-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog998 (Post 3626615)
Nothing better than a freshly waxed cavity...

I highly recommend the wand.

BigGy 04-13-2021 07:38 AM

Did cosmoline (RP342) and am very happy with the results. Cosmoline dries, fluid film, woolwax, etc, stays wet. YMMV, of course.

skag1T 04-13-2021 11:07 AM

Back to my original question:

- can I apply CRC over fluid film ? I have not found any instructions on what is the surface requirement for applying CRC.

SlickTRD 04-13-2021 11:30 AM

i think you can apply it over fluid film but if you want best results it will probably work better on a clean surface. so really its up to you to decide how much effort you want to put into this.

Mr_Bingley 04-13-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruff4runner (Post 3626569)
Have you looked at 3m cavity wax plus?

https://media.tenor.com/images/2b2f2...0766/tenor.gif