Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering wheel shakes on highway (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296600-steering-wheel-shakes-highway.html)

Gouranga 04-13-2021 01:28 AM

Steering wheel shakes on highway

Brand new 21 venture. I can't tell if it's just because it's windy usually on the highway and stock tires 265s
The steering wheel shakes just a lil left and right but constantly is this normal?

Would getting a lil bigger tires like 275s will help being more stable with wind? Unless it's! Not the wind that's causing this?

thirteen 04-13-2021 06:29 AM

Get your wheels balanced. If that doesn't fix it, you have another problem. The car is brand new, so the dealer should fix the issue for free.

tm965 04-13-2021 09:08 AM

you need to have your tires road force balanced by a competent shop. make sure the smart balance feature is turned off. if that doesnt fix it the junk stock tires are the issue. if you want to get bigger tires, just go ahead and do it and have those RF balanced as well.

ahtoxa11 04-13-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tm965 (Post 3627047)
you need to have your tires road force balanced by a competent shop. make sure the smart balance feature is turned off. if that doesnt fix it the junk stock tires are the issue. if you want to get bigger tires, just go ahead and do it and have those RF balanced as well.

FYI, it's called "Smart Weight" rather than smart balance, at least on Hunter machines that are commonly used. I wouldn't say junk the tires immediately, though. There are so many things in play here, that sometimes it takes some time to get right. 4runners have very sensitive steering geometry and even a little imbalance can be felt. Even alignment can contribute to this to some extent, though it wouldn't be the first thing I'd be looking at for sure.

But yes, balance and road force. Make sure the dealer is using adaptor plate to balance. If they are not, find a Discount Tire that does. Sure, it will cost you to balance, but it's worth the time wasted at dealers, finding the dealers, driving and then waiting.

Gouranga 04-13-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tm965 (Post 3627047)

this is a brand new venture with stock rims and tires from the factory
they only shake on highway but not on streets where im going 100km
hence why thought its highway wind

chubbena 04-13-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouranga (Post 3627161)

If they shake at a specific speed then likely tire balancing. Should take it back to dealership since it's new.

ahtoxa11 04-13-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouranga (Post 3627161)

My '19 shook slightly from new. When I went to balance the tires, I was told the tires and wheels were never balanced when they were installed. At all. Could be your case, too.

Hans Moleman 04-13-2021 06:40 PM

Could be bad tires (high probability with Dunlop AT20) and no amount of balancing will fix it.

Gouranga 04-13-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Moleman (Post 3627273)
Could be bad tires (high probability with Dunlop AT20) and no amount of balancing will fix it.

i have 2021 venture they came with BRIDGESTONE - DUELER H/T D684

so no way wind would make the car shake the steering wheel a little ?

BobWheelerJr 04-13-2021 10:07 PM

Slim chance, but possible...

If you have (or had) a nail or other similar object in your tire, or hit something hard enough to create a problem, and it caused a tear in a steel belt in the tire, that can happen. What happens is that when you're tooling around town your tires are not really hot. After a little while at 60+ MPH the tire heats up and the steel belt starts to separate and get out of kilter. It causes a lump in the tire, and that makes the steering wheel shake like hell. It feels like your tie-rods are jacked up.

If nothing else is the answer, pull over and run your hands over your tires to feel for a bump after you've been on the highway a while.

Gouranga 04-13-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobWheelerJr (Post 3627321)
If you have (or had) a nail or other similar object in your tire, or hit something hard enough to create a problem, and it caused a tear in a steel belt in the tire, that can happen. What happens is that when you're tooling around town your tires are not really hot. After a little while at 60+ MPH the tire heats up and the steel belt starts to separate and get out of kilter. It causes a lump in the tire, and that makes the steering wheel shake like hell. It feels like your tie-rods are jacked up.

If nothing else is the answer, pull over and run your hands over your tires to feel for a bump after you've been on the highway a while.

i have 140km on the ODO....

Gouranga 04-15-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbena (Post 3627196)
If they shake at a specific speed then likely tire balancing. Should take it back to dealership since it's new.

so turns out i was right.. this shaking that i feel in the steering wheel is from the wind........ (PS: i have the venture with the basket so maybe thats why)

today i drove down same highway but no wind and zero vibrations
i believe the wind + basket+ Duelers tires = shakes the car left and right as you drive making you feel the steering wheel shaking slightly left and right

ahtoxa11 04-15-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouranga (Post 3627908)
so turns out i was right.. this shaking that i feel in the steering wheel is from the wind........ (PS: i have the venture with the basket so maybe thats why)

i believe the wind + basket+ Duelers tires = shakes the car left and right as you drive making you feel the steering wheel shaking slightly left and right

The wind cannot cause you steering wheel to shake. It can cause your truck to wander in the lane and want to pull to either side if the wind is sustained.

The steering shake is very likely a balance issue and even on the same route it's not always apparent. I have noticed that even outside temperature differences can cause the symptoms to either show or not at all.

It will likely present itself again, and when it does take your truck to the dealer for tire balance. I'd put money that you'll notice it again. It's a common thing with these, and mine did the same when new. I had to rebalance.

Gouranga 04-15-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahtoxa11 (Post 3627977)
The wind cannot cause you steering wheel to shake. It can cause your truck to wander in the lane and want to pull to either side if the wind is sustained.

The steering shake is very likely a balance issue and even on the same route it's not always apparent. I have noticed that even outside temperature differences can cause the symptoms to either show or not at all.

It will likely present itself again, and when it does take your truck to the dealer for tire balance. I'd put money that you'll notice it again. It's a common thing with these, and mine did the same when new. I had to rebalance.

im pretty sure wind can do that... the car is being tilted.... its not a matter of side to side but the fact its being pushed by wind to the left while on a highway would tilt the car left raising the right of the car ever so slightly including the tires... then drop back down causing the steering to shift ever so lightly then back and forth .. i can see it

i drove all day today was a non windy day and zero issues.. lets if it happens again with no wind.. and if it only happens again next when again its a really windy day here then ill know

CutthroatSlam 04-16-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouranga (Post 3627908)

My money says you will be back with the same steering wheel shake complaint on a windless day.