Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Ac compressor going out, what should I replace while I'm in there... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296612-ac-compressor-going-out-what-should-i-replace-while-im-there.html)

CWccw 04-13-2021 01:00 PM

Ac compressor going out, what should I replace while I'm in there...

The ac compressor is freezing up and am wondering what I should replace since the system will be apart.

98 5vz 291k

toverturf 04-13-2021 02:13 PM

I replaced my entire A/C system last year. It wasn't working so I figured i'd just replace everything that way I wouldn't have to worry about replacing anything on it for a while. I also flushed all the lines and got new orings. Works great now. If you don't want to replace everything i'd at least replace the drier as that should be replaced if you're opening the system. This thread helped a lot: DIY Complete AC Replacement on 2000 T4R Limited

azrex 04-13-2021 03:13 PM

If it's a keeper, replace the compressor, drier, expansion valve, evaporator (if it shows signs of leaking or can't be cleaned of debris), the condenser if it has signs of leaking or is beat up from rocks and replace all the o-rings while you've got it apart.

photoleif 04-13-2021 03:51 PM

there's those little clips for the A/C lines that are kinda brittle; perhaps see if they're available to replace. also because you may choose to remove the PS reservoir for better access, this could be a good time to clean it out (see video by @mtbtim ). also change out three belts if they haven't been changed recently. if you're going all out like @azrex suggests, great time to clean out bugs and crap from the condenser and radiator.

Bad Luck 04-13-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWccw (Post 3627140)
The ac compressor is freezing up and am wondering what I should replace since the system will be apart.

98 5vz 291k

What do you mean freezing up? As in locking up?

3bears 04-14-2021 12:22 PM

there is also an AC belt idler pulley that can get noisy. Add that to your list.