Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Diesel Engine? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296619-diesel-engine.html)

dork0900 04-13-2021 07:05 PM

Diesel Engine?

I know people have the 1KD-FTV in their 3rd gens. Could the newer 1GD-FTV work in a 4R?

HiluxSurf SSR-G 04-14-2021 07:10 AM

the 1GD-FTV is a relatively new engine and there have been some hiccups (DPF & high oil consumption), although Toyota has made some improvements.
Also, you should be looking at those engines coming from Japan, not the ones from Thailand. The ones from Thailand do not have the counter-rotating balance shafts that reduce vibration and noise. Reason is to reduce costs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dork0900 (Post 3627280)
I know people have the 1KD-FTV in their 3rd gens. Could the newer 1GD-FTV work in a 4R?

19963.4lsr5 04-14-2021 10:07 AM

Diesel Engine?

What about the crate cummins “ they put the sh** in everything”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...31932c366b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_Raw 04-14-2021 01:07 PM

TDI is an option as well. There's a dude who lives near me that has it in his first gen and he likes it. He also enjoys brake boosting it on trails to hear that turbo spool up.

Endlessblockades 04-14-2021 01:21 PM

In my mind a turbo-diesel is the ultimate motor for an older Toyota 4x4. There is a dude who runs a 1st gen Taco that hauls the MTB shuttle up the hill for races in Blue Lake / Arcata CA area and it's the absolute TITS.

dork0900 04-14-2021 11:13 PM

Can any TDI engine be used or only specific years?

Bad Luck 04-15-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dork0900 (Post 3627677)
Can any TDI engine be used or only specific years?

Typically the 1.9L from early 2000's is the preferred tdi engine to swap in. Less electronics and still make pretty good power with different injectors and a larger turbo. There's not very many tdi to toyota transmission adapters though.

swapped_mini 04-15-2021 01:11 PM

I looked at this for a long time a few years ago for my 86 Toyota pickup. I researched TDI swaps for a couple years but ending up going for a 5vz swap and am happy with my choice. I think in a 4Runner you would be disappointed with power, a early 2000's TDI has very similar peak torque and horsepower specs to a 22r, the power just comes on lower in the RMP range obviously. A third gen 4runner is way heavier than these early trucks and would probably feel underpowered for highway use and the mileage might not be as good as one would hope. The newer Toyota 4 cyl diesels would be awesome, D4D etc., but are expensive to import and there is no parts network in North America that I am aware of.

The cummins option might be expensive but having a brand new motor with US support would be worth a lot. If you are serious about doing a diesel swap that is the direction I would suggest.

Brian. 04-15-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swapped_mini (Post 3627821)
I think in a 4Runner you would be disappointed with power, a early 2000's TDI has very similar peak torque and horsepower specs to a 22r,

That'd be the ALH (from the jetta/golf/new beetle), 90hp 150ft/lb torque in stock trim. Lovely engine, I put over 400k trouble-free miles on one in a 2001 Jetta. They can be Easily boosted into the ~130hp/200ft/lb range.

TDI swaps should really be with the Passat engine (BHW), through the v6 out of the Touareg would be fun too (though I'd worry about the emissions junk with the v6).

Endlessblockades 04-15-2021 03:25 PM

They guy I met with the Toyota TDI Taco had to import the motor from New Zealand, BTW.

dork0900 04-15-2021 07:46 PM

It would be nice to stick to Toyota Engines.

I noticed there is also a 1VD-FTV V8 Twin Turbo :dance:

HiluxSurf SSR-G 04-15-2021 08:10 PM

Your best bet would be the 1KD-FTV. Like the 1GD, you need to get the ones from Japan or those from Japan-made vehicles (Hilux Surf and Prado) because the ones from Thailand had the counter-rotating balance shaft removed. Also, oil consumption was a bit high in those vehicles from Thailand. But you'll have to be religious about maintenance, especially with the injectors (bit expensive). The 1KD is not as tolerant as the old diesel engines and one lapse could easily result in a cracked piston(s).

on the 1VD-FTV:
that's a pretty big and heavy engine. dunno how you're gonna fit that into the engine bay of the 4Runner.

Toyota had to modify the front frame of the LC70 to be able to make that engine fit. That resulted in a wider front track, but Toyota didn't change the rear so many aussies weren't happy about it. some have also transplanted that engine into the LC100 but dunno about the extent of modifications

Quote:

Originally Posted by dork0900 (Post 3627962)
It would be nice to stick to Toyota Engines.

I noticed there is also a 1VD-FTV V8 Twin Turbo :dance:

19963.4lsr5 04-15-2021 09:41 PM

That cummins was put in quite a few rigs in the off-road mags. If there isn’t an adapter plate to put it infront of a 340f I’m pretty sure there are plates to use the AX15 or AW4 from a cherokee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dork0900 04-16-2021 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3627967)
Your best bet would be the 1KD-FTV. Like on the 1VD-FTV:
that's a pretty big and heavy engine. dunno how you're gonna fit that into the engine bay of the 4Runner.

Toyota had to modify the front frame of the LC70 to be able to make that engine fit. That resulted in a wider front track

I wonder if a custom made chassis could handle it. Just thinking about long term plans for a vehicle that's never getting sold.

swapped_mini 04-16-2021 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dork0900 (Post 3628042)
I wonder if a custom made chassis could handle it. Just thinking about long term plans for a vehicle that's never getting sold.

I don't see why not if this can work.

cummins powered 4 door 4runner | Pirate 4x4