Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Factory JBL box with JL 8w3 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296660-factory-jbl-box-jl-8w3.html)

GX4SEVEND 04-15-2021 11:08 PM

Factory JBL box with JL 8w3

Just installed it and it sounds amazing. Running off a Rockford prime amp giving it about 300 watts. Put two lays of sound deadening behind the box.

The box comes from Toyota with the factory sub. Toyota lists it as only 2017-2020 I believe but it fits mine perfectly and I’ve got a 2014 SR5.

Also running the focal fronts with power bass rears. Using the factory deck but an Audio Control LCQ-1 and its way beyond what I expected. The focals are pointless in my opinion with out being amped. Using a JL amp giving 75x4 and its perfect

For anyone looking at upgrading the factory sub or adding one but want to keep cargo space this is the perfect mod. Worth every penny https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...46b7486398.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytonaviolet 04-15-2021 11:32 PM

Is the amp only for the sub or all the speakers? Did you install the bass knob too ?

I ran focals and jbl subs back In the day. They are awesome. I wonder how your setup would sound with the T10 HU ?

GX4SEVEND 04-16-2021 12:28 AM

I used two separate amps. Then used the audio control line out converter. The bass knob I already had before I added the amp for the door speakers and line out

The focal sound 10 times better amped vs just deck power. The line out has a built in EQ so between that and the factory deck there’s a ton of room for making it sound perfect.

My SR5 has a third row and the holes for the box are already pre drilled. I literally just bolted it in. Super easy

Forgot to add........the panel with the cubby is the exact one I have. You literally just remove the cubby. There’s clips on the back side of it.

97BlackAckCL 04-16-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 3628022)
How does this get trimmed out in a SR5? I have a 2015 TEP with cubby hole area and would gladly give up the space for this sub+enclosure. I am just unclear if you also have to swap out the trim panel.

I detailed all of this in my DIY threads which OP referenced for his install

Third row seat removal to access rear panel pocket, subwoofer install

97BlackAckCL 04-16-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 3628126)
I don’t have a third row... so I am guessing this is not an option. I am running Focals flax series in the doors and have the rear hatch omitted. Ran off the OEM headunit and then upgraded to a T9. Sounded much better with the EQ control and extra power.

Just got a T10 dropped at my door an hour ago and going to install it with a amp. Just trying to decide if I am going to need additional DSP control outside the headunit and how to handle the sub. Really wish I could do a stealthy install like this one.

There's a couple options for your setup depending on what size sub and enclosure you're looking to do.

Here's a couple options

2010-2018 Toyota 4Runner Custom Phantom Fit Subwoofer Enclosure

Toyota 4Runner Subwoofer Box Ported Fiberglass 12 inch - Taco Tunes - Toyota Audio Solutions

llDemonll 04-23-2021 06:04 PM

Is this the part number that you purchased: 86150-35080

jskeith111 09-17-2021 05:18 PM

Part number?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GX4SEVEND (Post 3628013)
Just installed it and it sounds amazing. Running off a Rockford prime amp giving it about 300 watts. Put two lays of sound deadening behind the box.

The box comes from Toyota with the factory sub. Toyota lists it as only 2017-2020 I believe but it fits mine perfectly and I’ve got a 2014 SR5.

Also running the focal fronts with power bass rears. Using the factory deck but an Audio Control LCQ-1 and its way beyond what I expected. The focals are pointless in my opinion with out being amped. Using a JL amp giving 75x4 and its perfect

For anyone looking at upgrading the factory sub or adding one but want to keep cargo space this is the perfect mod. Worth every penny https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...46b7486398.jpg

The Part #86150-0W120 shows it is for vehicles produced 08/2013-04/2017.
The Part #86150-35080 shows it is for vehicles produced 05/2017-08/2019.

If yours is a 2014 and you used the #86150-35080, you just proved that it'll work regardless of what Toyota says...which is great because the price difference between those parts is several hundred dollars.

Can you confirm the part number that you bought? I've been looking at doing this exact thing with my 03/2017 4runner and don't want to cough up the extra several hundred $$ to get the more expensive part if the cheaper one will work.

Also, did you get the bolts with it or did you have to order those separate?