Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Newby question re: Starter (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296681-newby-question-re-starter.html)

Langcow1 04-16-2021 05:48 PM

Newby question re: Starter

I need to put in a new starter and I haven’t done it before. I also need new valve cover gaskets. Are these two jobs related enough that I should do both at once or does doing one not matter to doing the other a few weeks later? I mean, I need the starter now, but is it going to be more labor to hold off on the valve cover gaskets for a different weekend?

Devbot 04-16-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langcow1 (Post 3628314)
I need to put in a new starter and I haven’t done it before. I also need new valve cover gaskets. Are these two jobs related enough that I should do both at once or does doing one not matter to doing the other a few weeks later? I mean, I need the starter now, but is it going to be more labor to hold off on the valve cover gaskets for a different weekend?

Completely different jobs. Do the starter now if you need to.

T4topher 04-16-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Might want to think about rebuilding your starter instead of buying a whole new one. Get OEM toyota parts, watch the timmy the toolman video. He has a video on both the starter and the valve cover gaskets.

phattyduck 04-16-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3628324)
Might want to think about rebuilding your starter instead of buying a whole new one. Get OEM toyota parts, watch the timmy the toolman video. He has a video on both the starter and the valve cover gaskets.

I'd second this, or at least make sure you get a Denso or OEM starter.

The job is relatively easy with a 2WD, and a bit of a pain with a 4WD.

-Charlie

photoleif 04-16-2021 06:54 PM

Quote:

make sure you have extensions and a swivel for your impact gun.

Langcow1 04-16-2021 07:03 PM

I picked up a remanufactured one at NAPA. Am I going to regret that?

Devbot 04-16-2021 08:47 PM

Highly doubt it. I used a DB Electric starter I believe fwiw, definitely not OEM. Even had a random one from vatozone on my last truck and it lasted me 7-8 years until I sold it. Compare the noses to ensure the gearing is the same between the two before installing.
Don't forget to remove the upper half of the tranny fill tube to make the job 100x easier (disconnects just below the starter, one bolt up top and should pop right out)

photoleif 04-16-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3628324)

good suggestion. guy i knew who is a toyota-certified mechanic by day rebuilt my 1995 truck's starter for me and it has been doing great going on eight years now. that's 27 years for the bulk of it this november.

@Langcow1 it looks like you've gone aftermarket. once you get your OEM starter out, it'd be nice to have it around to rebuild and keep for that hypothetical day when the new one doesn't live up to expectations. i've got an alternator sitting around for that reason.

Langcow1 04-16-2021 09:53 PM

That’s a cool idea. I do have a core return but it’s only like $40. No reason I couldn’t keep it rather than return

photoleif 04-16-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langcow1 (Post 3628412)
That’s a cool idea. I do have a core return but it’s only like $40. No reason I couldn’t keep it rather than return

cool. unless it's severely damaged for some reason, it's worth rebuilding. several threads here point to their longevity in general, and also as you're seeing, their life after a rebuild.

19963.4lsr5 04-17-2021 09:57 PM

Any reman starter will be an OEM Denso. The starter from DB electric will be a knock off of a OEM Denso. You can roll the dice and see how long it lasts and put a OEM brush kit in it if it doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devbot 04-17-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3628751)
Any reman starter will be an OEM Denso. The starter from DB electric will be a knock off of a OEM Denso. You can roll the dice and see how long it lasts and put a OEM brush kit in it if it doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you think it's a knock off? I mean by that metric a Wix filter is just a knock off Toyota one
There was a DBE employee that browses this forum who seemed to stand behind their products, maybe I can find and tag them and they could better explain the differences if any