Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Replace ITREs/PS Bushings or entire rack? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296798-replace-itres-ps-bushings-entire-rack.html)

texadelphia 04-21-2021 02:35 PM

Replace ITREs/PS Bushings or entire rack?

I've started gathering parts to replace my power steering bushings and inner tie rod ends. I believe only one of my ITREs are bad but I was maybe just going to replace both while I'm in there. I started pricing things and new OEM ITREs are $160 each and the bushings I got were about $50. Out of curiosity I checked the price on a new OEM rack and it's just over $500. The rack is original to the truck as far as I know and I'm currently at 226K miles. I don't have any symptoms pointing to a new rack but it's my understanding that mine's getting long in the tooth.

It seems kind of silly to spend $370 on bushings and ITREs when I can get the rack with ITRE's and bushings installed for $550 with the extra bushing that isn't included.

What would you do?

spartacus 04-21-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3629964)
I've started gathering parts to replace my power steering bushings and inner tie rod ends. I believe only one of my ITREs are bad but I was maybe just going to replace both while I'm in there. I started pricing things and new OEM ITREs are $160 each and the bushings I got were about $50. Out of curiosity I checked the price on a new OEM rack and it's just over $500. The rack is original to the truck as far as I know and I'm currently at 226K miles. I don't have any symptoms pointing to a new rack but it's my understanding that mine's getting long in the tooth.

It seems kind of silly to spend $370 on bushings and ITREs when I can get the rack with ITRE's and bushings installed for $550 with the extra bushing that isn't included.

What would you do?

For what you are doing, a replacement of complete rack will be a better value option.

CT135 04-21-2021 03:06 PM

I'd go with a new OEM rack but still get poly steering rack bushings. A whole set of poly is cheaper than that single rubber OEM. At it makes steering tighter in my opinion.

texadelphia 04-21-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT135 (Post 3629972)
I'd go with a new OEM rack but still get poly steering rack bushings. A whole set of poly is cheaper than that single rubber OEM. At it makes steering tighter in my opinion.

The rack comes with the bushings pre-installed except for the large one that goes around the rack on the passenger side.

RumHam26 04-21-2021 03:22 PM

It seems some people have trouble disconnecting the PS lines without breaking them, so be prepared to deal with that if you need to. I'm getting ready to install a new rack myself, and I'm going to get a new set of lines to replace my rusty ones.

photoleif 04-21-2021 04:53 PM

the new rack sounds fiscally smart. fwiw i did bushings only on mine, and because getting OEM ITREs wasn't feasible given my schedule, i went with moog-branded 555, and they feel great, both manipulating them by hand, fitment, and feel while driving. i could get the outers as OEM so i did that. the hydraulic lines seem to be the issue to contend with.

texadelphia 04-21-2021 05:07 PM

There's hardly any corrosion on mine so I'm assuming the hydraulic lines wouldn't be an issue but if there's one thing I've learned about working on cars, it's not to assume anything.

texadelphia 04-21-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoleif (Post 3630009)
the new rack sounds fiscally smart. fwiw i did bushings only on mine, and because getting OEM ITREs wasn't feasible given my schedule, i went with moog-branded 555, and they feel great, both manipulating them by hand, fitment, and feel while driving. i could get the outers as OEM so i did that. the hydraulic lines seem to be the issue to contend with.

So the Moogs that Advance sells are rebranded Sankei 555?

19963.4lsr5 04-21-2021 09:06 PM

Sorry, I’m late to the game....every Moog I ever installed was replaced by a NAPA. I’ll never buy Moog. Ball joints, shocks...etc. Never!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texadelphia 04-21-2021 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3630065)
Sorry, I’m late to the game....every Moog I ever installed was replaced by a NAPA. I’ll never buy Moog. Ball joints, shocks...etc. Never!!!!!!

Napa brand or the Altrom Sankei 555?

photoleif 04-21-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3630063)
So the Moogs that Advance sells are rebranded Sankei 555?

the moog EV433 that i bought off amazon are rebranded 555. i'm sorry that i do not recall if they're sankei. they bear a 555 casting. here's the link, fwiw. i'd take a picture too, but they're all booted up now.

19963.4lsr5 04-22-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3630089)
Napa brand or the Altrom Sankei 555?

Napa

Wedgy 04-22-2021 10:57 AM

You might want to get a flair wrench for the PS lines. I would definitely do a whole OEM rack.

texadelphia 04-29-2021 11:53 PM

I found OEM ITREs on Amayama for almost half as much as anywhere in the states. Hopefully they don't take too long to ship.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

HiLife 04-30-2021 12:59 AM

I was in the same delema as you are in. My rack is still good, no leaks, so I kept the original rack.
Replaced both left and right itr from Amayama. Left and right otr's and rack boots from my local toyota. And poly rack bushings from a member from this site.
Prices were cheaper then.