Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Cam Delete Downsides? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/297062-cam-delete-downsides.html)

Devbot 05-01-2021 09:48 PM

Cam Delete Downsides?

To those of you running alignment cam deletes, I was wondering what are some of the downsides you've experienced to running these plates? From what I know so far they seem like the perfect modification but I can't help but feel like there's some drawback I haven't come across yet, otherwise manufacturers would throw on these $0.05 bits of steel and every car would come with them as standard. In general people don't seem to talk about them at all, despite many 4R and Taco owners having them, so any input would be appreciated

2TH4IST 05-02-2021 03:24 AM

Only downsides I have come across is having to explain to the alignment guy to align everything via the spc upper arms, except toe of course. Tell them to not touch the cam eliminators, every single time.

JZiggy 05-02-2021 04:50 PM

Also interested to hear if there’s any negative consequences to these eliminators.

Devbot 05-02-2021 05:59 PM

Ah, I should've guessed that adjustable UCAs would be needed. Guess that's one downside right there

theesotericone 05-02-2021 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3633429)
Ah, I should've guessed that adjustable UCAs would be needed. Guess that's one downside right there

Your looking at this backwards.

Toyota uses an adjustable cam bolt and sleeve to allow fine tuning alignment. That's fine for 95% of people who use their rigs on FS roads to go hunting, fishing and camping. They will never put enough force on the stock cam tabs to knock them out of alignment.

There's a smaller number of people who use their rigs a lot harder. These people will constantly knock the stock alignment cams out of place. That's who the alignment cam eliminator plates are made for. They are a specific answer to a specific problem. A problem most people never have. So why would a manufacturer make them standard? lol

I've had mine on for over a year. In that time I've had zero issues with knocking my alignment out. The plates have not moved at all. That's after running a lot of hard trails. Contrast that with the stock cams that I had to do a parking lot alignment on after every trip so I could drive home.

Most people that beat their rigs already have after market uppers so calling that a downside is a bit of a stretch.

They are a no brainer if you beat on your rig. They aren't really needed at all if you don't.

JZiggy 05-02-2021 07:02 PM

If you have adjustable UCAs already will the cam eliminators prevent one from getting as accurate an alignment as with the factory cams? Or do the UCAs provide all the adjustment needed? N00b questions, sorry.

theesotericone 05-02-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3633446)
If you have adjustable UCAs already will the cam eliminators prevent one from getting as accurate an alignment as with the factory cams? Or do the UCAs provide all the adjustment needed? N00b questions, sorry.

I got exactly where I wanted to be with just using the uppers. All in spec except for camber. I run camber slightly more negative then spec on purpose. That puts less wear on my outer lugs which are the ones I need most when wheeling. My rig tracks perfectly straight and steering returns to center just like it should.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3604496-post2.html

3bears 05-02-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3633446)

after all these years and all the great advice you have given on so many things... I find it funny you calling yourself a NOOB

Malcolm99 05-03-2021 03:08 AM

I guess I don't beat my rig's enough.., all these years of fighting to break loose those cam bolts I never heard of these cam eliminators. You can always mark your cams with the provided lines and see if this is actually needed, I keep good tabs on my alignments and this hasn't been an issue even with a Hydraulic plow and winch hanging off the front, and a lot of offroading without plow obv. Must be fun trying to train the alignment tech on how to align your rig since they usually don't touch the cams anyways lol.