Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   SAS kit recommendations (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/297114-sas-kit-recommendations.html)

hntz4x4 05-03-2021 07:48 PM

SAS kit recommendations

1 Attachment(s)
After breaking off the shaft of right side CV inside the diff I think I'm finely ready to do a SAS, even got the wife to agree. Got a lead on a Dana 44 that's ready to go.

So my question is, who has used any complete (or complete as possible) SAS kit that's available and would recommend it? My sons and I will be doing this job ourselves in the garage. So I'm looking for a complete as possible link/coilover kit.

T4topher 05-03-2021 09:18 PM

4wheel underground has a great looking link setup/shock mounts. All pro has some SAS kits that look decent. Trail gear looks meh but would probably work. Ruffstuff has great stuff..

Team_Jake 05-03-2021 09:31 PM

Links or leafs? If going links, 4 Wheel Underground is really the only company that makes custom fit link brackets specific to our vehicles. Plenty of universal brackets out there if you want to build your own kit - Artec, Barnes4WD, RuffStuff, etc. If going leafs, Sky's Offroad will have almost everything you need.

hntz4x4 05-04-2021 06:19 AM

Plan on going links.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Jake (Post 3633850)
Links or leafs? If going links, 4 Wheel Underground is really the only company that makes custom fit link brackets specific to our vehicles. Plenty of universal brackets out there if you want to build your own kit - Artec, Barnes4WD, RuffStuff, etc. If going leafs, Sky's Offroad will have almost everything you need.

busmup808 05-04-2021 11:07 PM

Toyota Tacoma Straight Axle parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midcoma 05-05-2021 12:14 AM

4WheelUnderground hands down.

I have their SAS kit on the front of my Tacoma and the 4-Link kit in the rear of my 4Runner. Both are daily driven and handle amazingly.

MStudt 05-05-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3633845)
All pro has some SAS kits that look decent. Trail gear looks meh but would probably work.

Both are the same company, and both are now all Chinese parts.

Mike

T4topher 05-05-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MStudt (Post 3634484)
Both are the same company, and both are now all Chinese parts.

Mike

Honestly I wouldn’t recommend using either but it is still an option and thought I’d mention it. The SAS steering kit from AP looks half decent is why I mentioned it really.. Personally if I was going SAS I’d go with 4wheel underground hands down. I’ll probably end up with one of his kits in the rear when I go LT in the front. His new rear coilover kit looks pretty sweet too

MStudt 05-05-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3634502)
Honestly I wouldn’t recommend using either but it is still an option and thought I’d mention it. The SAS steering kit from AP looks half decent is why I mentioned it really.. Personally if I was going SAS I’d go with 4wheel underground hands down. I’ll probably end up with one of his kits in the rear when I go LT in the front. His new rear coilover kit looks pretty sweet too

I would 100% agree with you. All-Pro had good stuff when the Jon & Tracy owned but, but turned to crap once Trail Gear bought them out. Like most things Trail Gear gas bought (Longfield, Low-Range, Wheeler's). Maybe Ruffstuff will have something some day.

Mike

hntz4x4 05-06-2021 05:22 PM

Well I was looking at the WFO kit, they are kinda of local to me. I got off work early yesterday and drove up to WFO's shop to get price ideas. They were extremely helpful. So much so that they asked all the right questions, and to find out the built Dana 44 I had my eye won't work. Apparently the axle came from a 78 Bronco which cast wedges for the factory radius arms to clamshell around.

Unless someone can point me in a direction where I can make this axle work, this whole project might be put on hold. The price on the axle was helping make the rest of the parts do-able.

hntz4x4 05-07-2021 09:04 PM

So it looks like it has been done before on a 3rd gen. Sorry I don't know how to make the proper link. Kind of computer stupid. If you search this guys post.

ADH8796 4runner Build

Bad Luck 05-10-2021 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hntz4x4 (Post 3635249)
So it looks like it has been done before on a 3rd gen. Sorry I don't know how to make the proper link. Kind of computer stupid. If you search this guys post.

ADH8796 4runner Build

There's several people that have done it. Here's some threads for you to glance over if you're interested:
1999 SAS Dana44 ARB 4Runner Build
Addicted's 96' 4runner using TG Tacoma SAS kit
slowpoke99's super slow timeline/build thread
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...s-pics%7D.html
ADH8796 4runner Build
Dous's Build Thread Version 2.0
DOWNPOUR11's Build Thread
John's 99 4runner rebuild/build

hntz4x4 05-10-2021 05:23 PM

Sorry, I meant more specifically using the factory Ford radius arms (modified) with leaving the wedges on the axle housing.

Bad Luck 05-10-2021 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hntz4x4 (Post 3636069)
Sorry, I meant more specifically using the factory Ford radius arms (modified) with leaving the wedges on the axle housing.

Oh lol well now you have some options for reading material when you're on the toilet lol

eimkeith 05-10-2021 05:35 PM

are you looking to do links or radius arms? (different animals, handling and articulation-wise)