Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Should I buy it? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/297164-should-i-buy.html)

pancakesfan 05-05-2021 05:02 PM

Should I buy it?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey y'all, looking for advice on a 2004 V6 SR5 for sale with only 126K on it. It's listed for $9300 by a used car dealer.

Here's the carfax ad

Here's the carfax report

I've also attached the service history from toyota's website.

My main concern is that the toyota records show the vehicle was towed on 09/2016 with 79K on it. The dealership reported a heavily leaking radiator, which was replaced. I'm worried this means the engine overheated, leading to potential head gasket problems. Also, that can't be good for the transmission right? It looks like the tranny fluid was replaced at 60K.

I'm planning to take a look at it tomorrow, and if everything looks good after I inspect it, and it drives nice and all, I'd take it to a mechanic for a PPI before buying. Would you not bother with this one based on the service history alone? Pictures looks nice enough, of course no pics of the frame...

I'd prefer to buy from a private seller so that I can get a better idea of how the vehicle has been maintained, but it's been tough going finding a clean one for sale that isn't snatched up in an hour.

Thanks everyone for your advice. If I'm missing any details let me know.

L8Shift 05-05-2021 05:22 PM

Appears to have spent most of it's life in Connecticut, Toyota of Stamford.. since 2004.

Mid gen upgrade occurred in 2006.

Condition of the frame, and drive train (diff lock/4wd), are critical in your decision making, amongst other things.

Over exposure of pics etc., tend to hide 'issues'..

Good luck in your search.

Humble Leader 05-05-2021 06:43 PM

no harm in checking it out if it's close by. there is a rip in the drivers seat cloth but I'm assuming you saw that/it's not a big deal for you. some things I'd check

- there are no service records for 2 years
- does the AC work. noticed there was a freon top up in 2016. there is a chance you might not have AC / have to put up some cash to replace any leaks, not cheap
- make sure transfer case engages. it's a part time 4wd. consensus is that part time should be driven in 4x4 mode every now and then
- frame rust
- take a close look at the engine bay for any signs of leaks or any suspiciously clean areas that seem 'too clean' as if a leak has been cleaned up

personally I would pass on that one, but that's just me. sure you could take it for a PPI but sometimes those can be hit or miss. you really need a trusted mechanic for this one if you're concerned about engine issues

alaskaman 05-05-2021 07:22 PM

Drive at 30 mph engage 4HI 4WD listen.

Disengage 4Hi 4WD smooth?

Stop
Put in neutral
put in 4 lo
engage drive
don't go over 5 mph in drive or reverse.
disengage

Accelerate in RWD.
stop quickly

repeat all steps again.

put it up in the air.
XREAS or shocks
signs of leaks
pull the tires
check brakes

compression check
when were plugs changed
rear window and moon roof operation
lights and brakes and turn signals

see what you think after this...

The 4Runner is a complex vehicle. Due diligence.

duffdog 05-05-2021 07:36 PM

No. Its not from Ca or Az...If a used vehicle is not from one of those two states, literally every single part of the entire truck is completely rusted and destroyed.

Bry n 05-05-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffdog (Post 3634621)
No. Its not from Ca or Az...If a used vehicle is not from one of those two states, literally every single part of the entire truck is completely rusted and destroyed.

A Man of Culture and Wisdom

pancakesfan 05-05-2021 08:46 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies. I'm going to pass on this one as it's priced a little too high and the service history is a little too questionable for me.
@alaskaman thanks for this list. I will be bringing it along when I test drive in the future . Agreed that 4runners seem to have more things to go over when purchasing than most cars.

Syr4RinNC 05-05-2021 09:51 PM

Yea - a little late to the game but my view was probably a little pricey.

If you can find an 06+ the frames, transmission and head gaskets are less likely to be and issues