Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   sound issues after speaker upgrade (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297186-sound-issues-after-speaker-upgrade.html)

usdmej 05-06-2021 01:25 PM

sound issues after speaker upgrade

Just installed new components in front and coaxials in the rear doors using tacotunes speaker adapter plates (removed and bypassed the cargo hatch speakers to keep the rear speakers in series).

unfortunately my driver side speakers now play significantly lower in volume than the passenger side speakers, probably at 20% of what the passenger side is outputting

passenger side speakers sound fantastic but i'm getting an audible buzzing sound from the front component speakers when the vehicle is on

anyone else run into these issues?

rhadam 05-06-2021 11:37 PM

I installed TacoTunes speakers, ran them for a couple months before upgrading to a Kenwood 10.1" headunit and speakers all around. Never had an issue with the TT speakers. Buzzing would typically indicate a grounding issue... right?

Skidmarcx 05-06-2021 11:44 PM

More info on how the components are connected needed.

What do you mean you bypassed the rear lift gate speaker? I guess I don’t know how Toyota connects all the rear speakers

MedicLt 05-07-2021 08:26 AM

I did a double layer of dynamatting in all my doors and hatch. That alone improved the road noise issue.

I did Hertz component speakers all around a 10” JL sub w/custom enclosure (should have gone 12”) JL amp and Cleansweep.

Can you swap that buzzy b**ch of a speaker out?

That sucks dude. Hope you sort it out.

21TOR 05-07-2021 08:51 AM

You should be able to adjust the balance to compensate, probably set up that way originally.
Guessing after you changed the speakers you are noticing the set up by the factory signal.
No idea on the buzzing.

Tieyota 05-07-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhadam (Post 3635030)
I installed TacoTunes speakers, ran them for a couple months before upgrading to a Kenwood 10.1" headunit and speakers all around. Never had an issue with the TT speakers. Buzzing would typically indicate a grounding issue... right?

Buzzing does typically indicate a grounding issue. I’d recheck your wiring and make sure none of it was pinched by anything once you installed it in the door

2021nightshade4x4 05-07-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usdmej (Post 3634824)
Just installed new components in front and coaxials in the rear doors using tacotunes speaker adapter plates (removed and bypassed the cargo hatch speakers to keep the rear speakers in series).

unfortunately my driver side speakers now play significantly lower in volume than the passenger side speakers, probably at 20% of what the passenger side is outputting

passenger side speakers sound fantastic but i'm getting an audible buzzing sound from the front component speakers when the vehicle is on

anyone else run into these issues?

Did you match the Impedance to the factory speakers? Did the factory speakers have any kind of foil backing to prevent interference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyrv9 05-07-2021 12:45 PM

Buzzing is usually cause by the following: Bad or loose connection, blown speaker (yes even new speakers sometimes) Bad or loose ground, Impedance mismatch. Sometimes you don't get what you ordered; I'd check to insure all speakers are correct and match your head unit. Swap the buzzing speaker to another spot and see.

usdmej 05-21-2021 05:08 PM

thanks for the help guys.
i was able to figure out the buzzing, my right front crossover was too close to some wires. once i relocated them the buzzing stopped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude (Post 3635117)
Did the same setup. Check your jumpers...I used a Metra speaker harness and just wired the leads together and snapped them in.

Also, how did you tap the lead for your front component crossover? I pulled mine using a Tacotunes tweeter adapter running the full range signal to the crossover and then new speaker wiring to the tweeter and mid. I noticed that on of the pins in that harness was not properly seated...check it.

Also double check any adapters used at the speaker itself and connections....any connection point is a possible failure.

Otherwise it might help if you post up details on how you wired it all up.

if you've suggested that in other threads then i might have copied you since im running the same wiring as you.
however, for the front component crossover, the TT harness had 4 wires coming out (2 went to the crossover input, 2 went to the crossover woofer output). i only had to run 2 wires from the tweeter out to the tweeter.

ads2539 05-21-2021 05:16 PM

Did you figure out why the driver’s side volume was so low?

usdmej 05-24-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ads2539 (Post 3639606)
Did you figure out why the driver’s side volume was so low?

unfortunately no, with more listening i'm noticing the right and left side have a different sound signature too (right/loud side is more clear with better highs) which leads me to believe there is a connection issue and not just a system imbalance.

are you having a similar issue?

97BlackAckCL 05-24-2021 03:23 PM

The buzzing is a ground loop and something is not grounded properly, the volume issue sounds to me like a wiring configuration issue or something with the bypassing of the rear speakers

usdmej 05-24-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3640451)
The buzzing is a ground loop and something is not grounded properly, the volume issue sounds to me like a wiring configuration issue or something with the bypassing of the rear speakers

as i said earlier, the buzzing sound was the crossover being too close to some other wires.

the only thing swapped were the speakers, there was no grounding involved anywhere. can you explain why you think it's related to grounding as others have also suggested?

ads2539 05-24-2021 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usdmej (Post 3640443)
unfortunately no, with more listening i'm noticing the right and left side have a different sound signature too (right/loud side is more clear with better highs) which leads me to believe there is a connection issue and not just a system imbalance.

are you having a similar issue?

No, I’m not. No part of my system is JBL or Toyota, not even the speaker wires. I was just interested in this thread.

2Biglabs 05-25-2021 01:34 AM

Phase?

Are the speakers in phase on both sides? That might come across as low volume. Crossovers, depending on the style, change the phase in different ways. Depends on what dB/octave they are.

If one speaker is "out of phase" with all the other seakers "in phase" the odd man out will be lower.

When i say in phase, it meant all speakers are + at the same time or - at teh same time. Autosound2000 (if there still around) has a CD (sorry, im old) that has a track to determine proper phasing.

Good luck.