Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   The MOST CRAPTASTIC Windshields Ever: More 5th Gen Butthurt (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297188-most-craptastic-windshields-ever-more-5th-gen-butthurt.html)

RichinRidgewood 05-06-2021 02:22 PM

The MOST CRAPTASTIC Windshields Ever: More 5th Gen Butthurt

1 Attachment(s)
I was in North Carolina when a dump truck got on I95. We were only going like 50mph when a stone bounced and hit my windshield and caused a star.

In one year (2020-2021) I have had a chip and a star and now the star turned into a crack when Safelite was trying to put a vacuum on it to fill the star in.

These Toyota 4Runner windshields are the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen on a vehicle in my entire life.

llDemonll 05-06-2021 02:24 PM

Also like a near-vertical windshield will catch rocks, huh? Whodathunk.

uh0h50 05-06-2021 02:27 PM

Just remove the windshield. Problem solved.

spartacus 05-06-2021 02:36 PM

I avoid driving behind dump trucks

RunTheJoules 05-06-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3634862)
I was in North Carolina when a dump truck got on I95. We were only going like 50mph when a stone bounced and hit my windshield and caused a star.

In one year (2020-2021) I have had a chip and a star and now the star turned into a crack when Safelite was trying to put a vacuum on it to fill the star in.

These Toyota 4Runner windshields are the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen on a vehicle in my entire life.

So who makes a windshield that doesn't crack when hit with a rock at 50+MPH?

Never seen someone so distraught over a cracked windshield. :hurt:

RichinRidgewood 05-06-2021 02:44 PM

It's sad that anyone would think that a fragile windshield like this is ok.

Dynamo 05-06-2021 02:54 PM

A rock strike put a nice big crack in my windshield right by the rear view mirror a month after buying it new.

Ironically, my '13 FJ Cruiser that I bought new still had the original windshield when I traded it in for my 4Runner. I had repaired 2 star chips in it and it had a bunch of sand sparkles but it never got cracked.

sgvT4R 05-06-2021 03:16 PM

Virtually all automotive glass is made to a certain standard thickness and the main manufacturer is PPG. I've seen small rocks going 25mph crack a windshield and sometimes 50mph and not break a glass. It just depends on the type of rock and how it hits the surface. I'm basically saying, you were just unlucky this time.

RunTheJoules 05-06-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichinRidgewood (Post 3634872)
It's sad that anyone would think that a fragile windshield like this is ok.

And it's hilarious that you think a windshield is fragile because it cracks from a rock impact at 50MPH.

5 vehicles I've owned now, and not single windshield was immune to rocks.... guess they were all just fragile. :yawn:

pDubs 05-06-2021 03:43 PM

My 5th gen (2014 4unner) is on its original windshield, no cracks or chips and has 112k miles on it now. I have had rocks fly up, nail the windshield scaring the S out of me several times, no visible damage anywhere.

Between the wife and I we have had 3 4runners. 2 4th gens, and now this 5th gen, each had or has over 100k on before upgrading to 5th gen or selling for a bigger vehicle for wife. Never had to replace or repair any of them.

MickyC 05-06-2021 04:16 PM

I'd move to a different area where you didn't need to follow trucks so much.

RichinRidgewood 05-06-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgvT4R (Post 3634883)
Virtually all automotive glass is made to a certain standard thickness and the main manufacturer is PPG. I've seen small rocks going 25mph crack a windshield and sometimes 50mph and not break a glass. It just depends on the type of rock and how it hits the surface. I'm basically saying, you were just unlucky this time.

These were made in Japan. I bet it's a Japanese mfgr. and not PPG.

I have done programs at Ford where I was responsible for the glass in South America and it was a French company who supplied the glass if I remember correctly.

The glass is not good enough for the application. That was even part of the conversation with my insurance people and the tech at Safelite based on the number of Toyota claims they see.

2021nightshade4x4 05-06-2021 04:20 PM

Can’t comment yet on Toyota’s glass. Miss my laminated front driver and passenger windows in Dodge and Land Rover. As unreliable as Dodge and Land Rover are in everything else, their glass vendor (Pilkington) makes some of the strongest laminated stuff in any vehicle I’ve had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whippersnapper02 05-06-2021 04:28 PM

Replace it with a metal panel.

Too Stroked 05-06-2021 05:24 PM

I don't think Toyota glass is any more fragile than any other major manufacturer. If you don't like Toyota glass, wait till you see what Safelite slaps in there. Some of the aftermarket stuff has more waves than the average Great Lake.