Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear Parking Brake Return Springs and Bell Cranks - OEM or Dorman? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/297209-rear-parking-brake-return-springs-bell-cranks-oem-dorman.html)

EJosephs 05-07-2021 07:33 PM

Rear Parking Brake Return Springs and Bell Cranks - OEM or Dorman?

I need to get a new return spring for the parking brake bell crank on my rear right drum brake.

I can either try this and hope it works, from Toyota (OEM) but not listed for a 1998 4Runner for $9: Toyota 4Runner Spring, tension(for parking brake bell crank return) - 9050620019 | Desert Toyota, Tucson AZ

Or buy a full set from Dorman for $33: Amazon.com: Dorman 924-753 Parking Brake Bell Crank for Select Toyota Models: Automotive

I really only need the springs, but what are your opinions on the safety and interchangeability of the other parts? Do you think the springs are trash anyways? I've never bought Dorman parts.

Some backstory for those interested. TL;DR: I was missing one of the return springs on the parking brake bell crank. The long version:

I just finished cleaning and adjusting my rear drum brakes. The LR brake adjusted very easily, and by cranking the parking brake handle I was easily able to get it to position. The RR, that was a different story...

I manually adjusted it with a screwdriver ALL the way from loose, because the parking brake bell crank wasn't fully resetting. Upon releasing the brake handle, it would stop shy of touching the back plate about a quarter inch. After the brakes were properly adjusted, this meant that if you set the parking brake, it would NOT disengage. The first reason is that there is some corrosion (rust) on the parts. That will clean up easily enough. The second, is that I'm missing one of the two return springs!

Too Stroked 05-07-2021 07:52 PM

In my experience, Dorman is the Harbor Freight of auto parts. Take that for what it's worth.

19963.4lsr5 05-07-2021 08:15 PM

I got my three sets from napa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJosephs 05-08-2021 12:01 AM

Thanks for the input. I would imagine buying this just for the springs would be fine, not sure how much I'd trust the bell cranks themselves though.

FD7683 05-08-2021 09:58 PM

I replaced both of my bell cranks due to rust. Dorman bell cranks is what I installed on my truck and it's been great even though I rarely use the e-brake. If your bell cranks are perfectly fine, I would get a new spring from Toyota or I would even head to the junkyard and get one from a donor rig.

If you are going for the new ones, remember to pack the entire boot with grease when you are assembling them. Also use a feeler gauge to adjust the bell crank screw gap to the surface - I went with .020 inch on the gap with the spring off.

MaineRunna 05-09-2021 09:53 PM

I've used both and the Dorman's are fine, its a piece of steel, aluminum, a clevis pin, cotter pin, rubber boot and a couple of springs. Even Dorman can't screw that up.