Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Intermittent Cooling leaks on 4.7 - Pressure test (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/297252-intermittent-cooling-leaks-4-7-pressure-test.html)

B.E. Coyote 05-09-2021 07:51 PM

Intermittent Cooling leaks on 4.7 - Pressure test

I have an occasional coolant leak on my 04 4.7 I lose almost a 1/2 gallon per 1000 miles. The engine has never overheated.

It looks to be coming from behind the engine. I have found other threads that suggest the water pump or an o-ring on the tube above. They leak sending coolant to the back of the engine from on top of the engine.

I have seen it dripping from behind once or twice. It will drop a pint of coolant on the ground fairly quickly but now that I have pulled my skid plates I can not recreate it to confirm.

Would a pressure test show me the leak? I'm not sure how it would be different than just running the vehicle to operating temperature?

AuSeeker 05-09-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote (Post 3635729)
I have an occasional coolant leak on my 04 4.7 I lose almost a 1/2 gallon per 1000 miles. The engine has never overheated.

It looks to be coming from behind the engine. I have found other threads that suggest the water pump or an o-ring on the tube above. They leak sending coolant to the back of the engine from on top of the engine.

I have seen it dripping from behind once or twice. It will drop a pint of coolant on the ground fairly quickly but now that I have pulled my skid plates I can not recreate it to confirm.

Would a pressure test show me the leak? I'm not sure how it would be different than just running the vehicle to operating temperature?

I have heard that the coolant will glow under a UV light, not sure if that's true but worth trying to help locate the leak.

If you're able to try a UV light let us know if the coolant does indeed glow.

Buckaroo 05-09-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3635748)
I have heard that the coolant will glow under a UV light, not sure if that's true but worth trying to help locate the leak.

If you're able to try a UV light let us know if the coolant does indeed glow.

It will glow....but you need to add the glow juice. This is the kit I have.

Amazon.com: MASTERCOOL 53351-B Professional UV Leak Detector Kit with 50W Mini Light, Black: Automotive

Buckaroo

B.E. Coyote 05-10-2021 05:22 AM

kit ordered