Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Firestone Air Helper Springs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297315-firestone-air-helper-springs.html)

MyFirstRunner 05-12-2021 09:06 AM

Firestone Air Helper Springs

Hi, installing the these helper springs this weekend to help with towing my pop-up camper.

Where did you all install your valves?

Also, it came with 2 small red pieces in the parts bag, anyone know what they are for?

Thanks!

Amazon.com: Firestone W237604135 Coil-Rite Kit: Automotive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetboy 05-12-2021 09:38 AM

Not mine - but this is where I put mine only on the passenger side.

https://trail4runner.com/wp-content/...er-4runner.jpg

scratchhax 05-12-2021 09:53 AM

I mounted mine to the hitch wiring bracket
https://i.imgur.com/WqID2tv.jpg

MyFirstRunner 05-12-2021 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchhax (Post 3636646)
I mounted mine to the hitch wiring bracket
https://i.imgur.com/WqID2tv.jpg

I like that!

MyFirstRunner 05-12-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetboy (Post 3636642)
Not mine - but this is where I put mine only on the passenger side.

https://trail4runner.com/wp-content/...er-4runner.jpg

My only concern with above the bumper is introducing a rust point. Any issues over time?

meltdown 05-12-2021 12:02 PM

I have my air bags run to a single valve. I mounted it just behind the drivers side rear mud flap towards the inside of the truck. I don’t have a picture, but if you look at it from below it’s easy to figure out. Easy to get to and install. Surprisingly, it stays very clean in that location.

scratchhax 05-12-2021 02:11 PM

Do you have problems with cornering going to a single valve? When I installed mine it was suggested (by etrailer) to keep them distinct otherwise they said you could run into an issue where compression on one bag causes the other to expand ie cornering. Not likely to cause major stability issues unless you really over did it with the bags, but additional wear and tear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meltdown (Post 3636703)
I have my air bags run to a single valve. I mounted it just behind the drivers side rear mud flap towards the inside of the truck. I don’t have a picture, but if you look at it from below it’s easy to figure out. Easy to get to and install. Surprisingly, it stays very clean in that location.

Jetboy 05-12-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyFirstRunner (Post 3636690)
My only concern with above the bumper is introducing a rust point. Any issues over time?

No problems. It's all plastic there, so no rust concerns. And it's easy to go back if you want to remove. Two barbed push rivets would cover the holes pretty easily. Or you could replace the the plastic bumper trim piece.

The location is inside the rear door edge, but outside the door seal. Its not totally protected from dirt and road grime, but mostly protected. So they stay pretty clean.

Smitty19TRD 05-12-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchhax (Post 3636756)
Do you have problems with cornering going to a single valve? When I installed mine it was suggested (by etrailer) to keep them distinct otherwise they said you could run into an issue where compression on one bag causes the other to expand ie cornering. Not likely to cause major stability issues unless you really over did it with the bags, but additional wear and tear.

I will keep mine separate for that very reason. Combining properly requires a valve to keep the air from transferring across.

The hoses are small so I don't think the air would travel rapidly; however, if you are on a sweeping curve, you would end up transferring pressure. That being said, depending on the load, as in, still being comfortably within the limits of the suspension, it may not be a glaring issue. I will still keep mine separate.

MyFirstRunner 05-12-2021 04:11 PM

Does anybody know what the two little red pieces are that come with the kit? Are they just to reform the tubes after you cut it?

QwikKotaTx 05-12-2021 04:35 PM

Have them on my Ram with a tee to single valve. Have not noticed any issue when cornering. I have mine attached to a vertical surface with a hole in it on my hitch, used large washers to make up the difference.

AggieOE 05-12-2021 04:47 PM

Used Airlift bags and ran the valve to the top of the bumper under the liftgate as someone posted earlier. Single valve though split to both bags. I've had it since November and no issues yet. Super helpful when loaded up or towing!

meltdown 05-12-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchhax (Post 3636756)

I have not noticed any issues. When towing my normal load (About 2500 lbs), I run between 15-20 psi. The roads are pretty straight through the delta region too. When not towing, they’re set 5 psi or less.

I use a small bike hand pump to air them up. Combining them on one valve saves me some time. I doubt on road driving would be affected much. If I offroaded heavily or did rock crawling, I would probably separate them.

MyFirstRunner 05-16-2021 03:49 PM

Installed them today, a lot of work without taking apart the suspension but as others aid, it’s doable. Did take off the pan hard bar which gave a little more room for the passenger side.

Thanks for the help!

IrishRover 05-16-2021 10:07 PM

I just installed a pair and did a 2400 mile road trip. Very noticeable difference and confidence in handling. I decided to combine them into a single hose/input for safety and simplicity. The air pressure will equalize and if one fails on a trip, one side won’t dip. I figured this is the safest approach as my rear suspension sags about 2” without the airbags.