Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Why lock the steering wheel when replacing rack bushings? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/297348-why-lock-steering-wheel-when-replacing-rack-bushings.html)

texadelphia 05-13-2021 04:30 PM

Why lock the steering wheel when replacing rack bushings?

Everything I've watched or read says to make sure the steering wheel is locked when replacing the rack bushings because you can mess up the steering wheel alignment if you don't. I can't wrap my head around how this would happen unless you disconnected the rag joint from the rack. It seems like as long as the rag joint isn't disconnected, and you just remove the rack mounting hardware, the position of the rack is tied to the position of the steering wheel. Am I missing something?

Skulking 05-13-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3637128)
Everything I've watched or read says to make sure the steering wheel is locked when replacing the rack bushings because you can mess up the steering wheel alignment if you don't. I can't wrap my head around how this would happen unless you disconnected the rag joint from the rack. It seems like as long as the rag joint isn't disconnected, and you just remove the rack mounting hardware, the position of the rack is tied to the position of the steering wheel. Am I missing something?

You're not missing anything, but I don't think you have enough room to press the bushings unless you disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack.

texadelphia 05-13-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skulking (Post 3637131)
You're not missing anything, but I don't think you have enough room to press the bushings unless you disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack.

In the 2 videos I've watched the intermediate shaft wasn't disconnected.

jgue467 05-13-2021 07:22 PM

I've done it on a 1st gen sequoia and 4runner, no locked steering and no removing shafts. But you will need a 2nd set of hands....

texadelphia 05-13-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3637179)
I've done it on a 1st gen sequoia and 4runner, no locked steering and no removing shafts. But you will need a 2nd set of hands....

How so? Was planning on flying solo.

T4topher 05-13-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3637197)
How so? Was planning on flying solo.

Did it without disconnecting steering shaft or having it locked and also did it solo (several times). Its not the easiest thing to do but it’s not the hardest by any means..

MaineRunna 05-13-2021 09:21 PM

The main reason for locking the steering wheel is so if you disconnect the rack from the steering shaft, you don't rotate the steering wheel and break the clock spring.

texadelphia 05-13-2021 10:37 PM

Sounds like it's not super important but I'll probably lock it just to be safe. Since I'll be doing the LBJs and inner tie rods at the same time I was mainly just wanting to be able to turn the wheels so I can get to all the LBJ bolts. But I'll disconnect the tie rods first then I can rotate the knuckles all I want with the steering wheel locked.

wemslie97 05-14-2021 08:36 PM

I did my steering rack bushings a while back and forgot to lock the steering wheel and when I was finished the steering wheel was off center about an inch and a half to the left. When I asked the mechanic about it he said " did you forget to lock the steering wheel? Ha!

texadelphia 05-14-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wemslie97 (Post 3637490)
I did my steering rack bushings a while back and forgot to lock the steering wheel and when I was finished the steering wheel was off center about an inch and a half to the left. When I asked the mechanic about it he said " did you forget to lock the steering wheel? Ha!

Interesting. I still don't understand the mechanics behind how that can happen but I guess I'll just do as I'm told. haha.

cas5259 05-15-2021 01:33 AM

Weird, the bolts still have to go in the same holes, and besides the passenger side collar, they go directly through the rack. Don’t see how the steering could shift unless maybe you got an alignment while the vertical bushings were gone.

I did mine while the diff was out, which made it easier I guess.

texadelphia 05-16-2021 12:55 AM

Well I couldn't figure out how to lock the wheel so I just went for it without it being locked. The steering wheel is now very slightly to the left, but before I did it the wheel was very slightly to the right by about the same amount. It feels like it drives straight and isn't pulling to either side but I guess I'll take it in for an alignment on Monday.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 05-17-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3637804)
Well I couldn't figure out how to lock the wheel so I just went for it without it being locked. The steering wheel is now very slightly to the left, but before I did it the wheel was very slightly to the right by about the same amount. It feels like it drives straight and isn't pulling to either side but I guess I'll take it in for an alignment on Monday.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

If the vehicle isn't pulling then you can remove the steering wheel airbag, remove the steering wheel and move it over a spline (or more as required) toward center and reassemble. What happens is the steering rack holes for the bolts are a close fit, but not a perfect fit so the rack can be off from where it was originally ever so slightly. It doesn't have to be off much for your steering wheel to change.

texadelphia 05-17-2021 09:20 PM

Just got back from the alignment shop. I went to a different shop that uses lasers and computers and I'm glad I did. Everything was off. Steering wheel is straight as an arrow now.

Bad Luck 05-18-2021 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3638344)
Just got back from the alignment shop. I went to a different shop that uses lasers and computers and I'm glad I did. Everything was off. Steering wheel is straight as an arrow now.

I didn't know there were still alignment shops that didn't use a newer style laser alignment machine.