Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   New Members (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/)
-   -   My first Toyota and it's a 3rd gen 4Runner! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/297411-my-first-toyota-its-3rd-gen-4runner.html)

Mike's4Runner 05-16-2021 12:37 PM

My first Toyota and it's a 3rd gen 4Runner!

Hello everyone!
New 4Runner owner here saluting everyone!
My previous car was a 2001 Subaru Forester which I did everything on, including overhauling its motor from a H/G leak (The Achilles hill of older 2.5L n/a Foresters). Other than that that the car was a tank and super reliable. Sadly, the Forester was totaled from a girl that ran a red light while talking on her cellphone.. I will miss that car..
But now, I found a 2000 2WD 4Runner locally here in South FL with only 126K miles and no frame rust at a great price I couldn't pass up. Car is not without its faults and I have to do a few things to it, like replacing its T/B, Valve cover gaskets service, radiator, etc.. I already replaced the LBJs yesterday.
Anyways, I'm looking to learn a lot with you guys here and enjoy this car with my family as much as I can.
See you all in the forums!

Appalascadian 05-17-2021 09:32 PM

I just got a 4th gen recently, but I love the 3rd gens. When I started looking, I was planning on a 3rd gen.

DavidBlackwell 05-22-2021 02:50 AM

People who love car they would like to keep on buying the new generation. It's just about passion, when people have history dissertation help passion for cars only then they can indulge in such activities.

thennen 05-22-2021 07:13 AM

You got a bot already. Good work!

Congratulations on the new ride! Insanely low miles, too, plus no rust. Take proper care, and you'll have several hundred thousand miles ahead of you. My simple suggestion: if you're able to spend a little more for OEM parts whenever you do maintenance or repairs, the rewards will be worth it.

Enjoy!

Pure4Runner 05-22-2021 01:32 PM

Welcome from ATX.

Mike's4Runner 05-22-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3639746)
You got a bot already. Good work!

Congratulations on the new ride! Insanely low miles, too, plus no rust. Take proper care, and you'll have several hundred thousand miles ahead of you. My simple suggestion: if you're able to spend a little more for OEM parts whenever you do maintenance or repairs, the rewards will be worth it.

Enjoy!

Thank you all!

Oh for sure.. When it comes to replacing parts, I try to go with OEM only on the main components.. Much better parts and last way longer. OEM always has the best research and development.

Yessah 05-29-2021 12:42 AM

Just got my 3rd gen couple weeks ago too, first drive around and already had people asking if i was selling it hahaha, have fun bro.

OffRoad_RN 05-31-2021 09:52 AM

Is it a bad idea to buy a third gen with 200 to 250 k on it? Originally I was looking at Land cruisers but they are just too expensive. That led me to looking at 4Runners and then I read that specifically the 3rd gen is better than the 2nd gen. I'm buying a vehicle to take up on the fire roads do some mild off-roading and some over landing with. Originally I was going to buy an 80 series but I couldn't afford what people are asking for the FZJ80s, and a clean FJ80 is almost twice as much as a comparable 3rd gen 4Runner. It seems like for around $5,000 I can get a late 90s early 2000s 4runner with 250ish on the clock. Would it be a good investment to spend more money on a lower mile example?

KG26x 06-01-2021 11:17 PM

3rd gen is the best ;)

Toystory2 06-03-2021 12:50 PM

Welcome, and best wishes on your journey!

Toystory2 06-03-2021 12:51 PM

How do you like the 4th gen? Looking at one right now.

Jayota 06-04-2021 08:29 AM

Hello and Welcome! We sound like we are in the same boat. I too live in south Florida and just bought a relatively low mileage 2-wheel drive 4runner. I'm brand new to this forum and I just bought my 4Runner a week ago. I'm in the process of replacing the front fender and taking old rusty parts off (fun fun fun).

Would love to connect. I'm in the Tampa area.

.Axl. 06-13-2021 09:19 PM

Welcome :)

SoCalHeadhunter 06-14-2021 07:28 PM

I'm also planning on getting a 3rd gen to replace a Suby, but my Suby is a 2015 Crosstrek.

I originally expected to use the Crosstrek for some off-highway stuff, but never felt comfortable with not having decent recovery points. So, instead of spending the money on beefing it up, I just used it as a daily driver. It just felt like it would be a waste of money on a vehicle with a unibody that would never do what I wanted to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Suby. It's been a great reliable car and good for road trips that didn't involve anything beyond easy dirt roads. If it didn't have a CVT transmission, I probably would have pushed it a little more and would be keeping it for decades. I just don't want to own it when the CVT needs to be replaced in another 30 - 50K miles. There's nothing wrong with the CVT now, but I've read about too many of them going bad and they are a spendy item to deal with.

I've had the Suby on a few forest roads, but left any trail that I would call moderate or above for my built '85 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler.

The 4Runner will be what I always hoped the Crosstrek would have been. After I find the 4Runner, I'll sell the Suby and get another daily driver.

Even though I just joined and am also new here, welcome to the forum!

Christian

JRRockwell18 06-15-2021 06:33 AM

congrats and welcome, I just got my 1st 4runner too, super stoked