Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid plate and catalytic converter protection (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297575-skid-plate-catalytic-converter-protection.html)

Johncmng 05-22-2021 07:21 PM

Skid plate and catalytic converter protection

What skid plates do you guys have to prevent thieves from stealing your catalytic converter? CBI has one but I think they can still get to it. Also, how many converter do we have in our 5th gen $Runners? There seems to be two canister coming off of each manifold.
TIA

jawkdna 05-22-2021 08:12 PM

best skid for cats

No skid plate that I am aware of completely prevents someone from getting your cat, it's more about making it a pain in the ass for them..

Humble Leader 05-22-2021 08:31 PM

I found this site, but I've never tried them. I started looking for something as well but realized there were not many options for me. Shipping some heavy duty skid plates like RCI from the states would just cost me so much, probably more than a cat replacement + they don't cover fully, to my knowledge

Scorpion Armor Skid Plate for 05-20 Tacoma/4Runner 10-14 FJ Cruiser Daystar | Toys For Trucks(R) Official Site | Truck & Jeep Accessories

someone with some fabrication skills can make a simple skid plate that can mount on the existing frame. sure someone can just cut through it but many will just pass on it, not worth the extra time/risk

rageandlove 05-22-2021 08:37 PM

I ordered one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

We will see if it gets past customs.

Charlievee 05-22-2021 08:45 PM

Can't take your cats if they're not there.

URD Off Road Y Pipe for 2010+ 4Runner V6 - Underdog Racing Development

xxalyxx 06-20-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3639935)
I ordered one of these.

SOUTH AFRICA: FLAME THROWING DEVICE TO COMBAT CAR JACKING (V) - YouTube

😂😂 Hilarious!

xxalyxx 06-20-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3639935)
I ordered one of these.

SOUTH AFRICA: FLAME THROWING DEVICE TO COMBAT CAR JACKING (V) - YouTube

😂😂 Hilarious!

trapshot68 06-20-2021 02:29 PM

Just straight-pipe it with a motivational message:

https://i.redd.it/vf2fwy482lg41.jpg

honda250xtitan 06-20-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johncmng (Post 3639907)
What skid plates do you guys have to prevent thieves from stealing your catalytic converter? CBI has one but I think they can still get to it. Also, how many converter do we have in our 5th gen $Runners? There seems to be two canister coming off of each manifold.
TIA

4. 2 off the manifold and then 2 more on the OEM Y pipe before it crosses over to merge.

URD y pipe elminates the last two which are after the o2 sensors ;)

AlumniCU 03-12-2022 12:32 PM

RCI now has cat protection

See Catalytic Guard | 03-Present 4Runner – RCI Off Road

Fits with their existing transmission skid. Have ordered it and will report back...

GT0neX 03-13-2022 02:53 PM

RSG recently released a skidplate with guards for the cats.

2010+ Toyota 4Runner Cat Skid Guard
– RSG METALWORKS

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

jawkdna 03-13-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alumnicu (Post 3718938)
see catalytic guard | 03-present 4runner – rci off road

fits with their existing transmission skid. Have ordered it and will report back...

ordered!

4Roamer 03-14-2022 12:46 PM

It's not a separate item but if you want skids too, RCI makes good products. They just released a new transmission skid plate that had cat protection. Works for 03 to current.

Catalytic Guard | 03-Present 4Runner – RCI Off Road

Edit: Opps. didn't see the comment above for the same product. :blind:

salsanacho 03-14-2022 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlumniCU (Post 3718938)
See Catalytic Guard | 03-Present 4Runner – RCI Off Road

Fits with their existing transmission skid. Have ordered it and will report back...

Let us know how the install goes, it looks like you need to remove the transmission skid to drill some holes and install. I haven't tried, but hopefully there's an easy way to remove the transmission skid without loosening all the bolts on all the other skids.

CutthroatSlam 03-14-2022 02:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some ideas....