Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trailer lights question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297669-trailer-lights-question.html)

Nautical 05-25-2021 11:54 PM

Trailer lights question

Hello all,
2000 miles on my new orp and I知 loving it!
I知 hoping someone here can give some input on my trailer lights issue.
My main question is- is there anything different about the 4pin connector on the 4 runner than on a 2002 Ford e250 ( my previous tow vehicle)?
Some facts-
- I have not used boat in two years but I think all trailer lights worked properly when last used.
- Back right trailer light goes on with headlights, lights up with brakes and turn signal. It does not have the (white??) side light on.
- Back left trailer light does not respond to any headlights, braking or turn signal. The white side light is on.
- The side marker lights in the middle of the trailer both work
- - The back left bulb does not appear to be burned out. These are sealed units, not LED.
Should I buy two new tail light assemblies and wire them up?
Or is there something I don稚 know with 4 runner trailer hook up.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Nautical

patkelly4370 05-26-2021 12:30 AM

Our 4-pin trailer works the same on all our vehicles. 17 4runner, 07 Dodge Ram, 04 Jeep WJ, and 68 F100.
7-pin plug (horse trailer) works the same on all too (except the 68, no 7-pin plug)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fkheath 05-26-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nautical (Post 3640941)
Hello all,
2000 miles on my new orp and I知 loving it!
I知 hoping someone here can give some input on my trailer lights issue.
My main question is- is there anything different about the 4pin connector on the 4 runner than on a 2002 Ford e250 ( my previous tow vehicle)?
Some facts-
- I have not used boat in two years but I think all trailer lights worked properly when last used.
- Back right trailer light goes on with headlights, lights up with brakes and turn signal. It does not have the (white??) side light on.
- Back left trailer light does not respond to any headlights, braking or turn signal. The white side light is on.
- The side marker lights in the middle of the trailer both work
- - The back left bulb does not appear to be burned out. These are sealed units, not LED.
Should I buy two new tail light assemblies and wire them up?
Or is there something I don稚 know with 4 runner trailer hook up.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Nautical

The 4Runner trailer light connectors corresponds to the industry standard. With the weird things going on with your trailer, it may be mis-wired. Check your ground connections as a start; sometimes a poor ground at one of the lights can cause weird problems like yours.

Saker 05-26-2021 02:30 PM

Put 12 volts to each of the 3 connections on the trailer.

That can be done by connecting a wire from a battery.
Connect from the battery ground to the ground connection on the trailer.

There are diagrams on the net that displays what connections send power to the specific lights.
As stated, check your ground connection..
I would do that first.

You could start there.

s13koop 05-26-2021 02:51 PM

Best thing to do in these situations is to use a test light.
See if you got power at the pins/plug and if so then check at the light plug for power.
Green - right turn & brake
Yellow - left turn & brake
Brown - Tail/sidemarker light
White - Ground

Also, wiring will be same as previous vehicle
Source: I drive fords

Nautical 05-26-2021 07:08 PM

Thank you all for the good info and advice!
I had started to do some volt meter testing but ran out of time.
I値l check for voltage and good grounds this weekend.
Just wanted to know if there was something different about the 4 runner than standard.
Thanks again!