Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Reverse Light Mod? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/297747-reverse-light-mod.html)

spyder918 05-29-2021 12:40 PM

Reverse Light Mod?

Has anyone been able to successfully mod their reverse light to turn on via switch in the cabin?

flyrv9 05-29-2021 02:37 PM

Why would you want to do that?

Saker 05-29-2021 05:17 PM

Why do that?
I would run a separate circuit for a set of AUX rear lights.
You may want to think this out.

Ripper238 05-29-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder918 (Post 3641900)
Has anyone been able to successfully mod their reverse light to turn on via switch in the cabin?

In my teens i did it on my old 79 Buick just for fun.

30 years later i got a set of Baja S1's at 2500 lumens that i wired properly with a switch and relay.

https://i.imgur.com/Z5SpIA3l.jpg

Fantastic for backing down trails and setting up camp.

daytonaviolet 05-29-2021 11:57 PM

I agree with others, what’s the point ? The reverse lights aren’t that bright. I would rather manually trigger a pair of 6” spot lights with a switch. Better yet, trigger the 6” spot lights in reverse.

But if you really want to create an anytime reverse light switch .. just tap the reverse light circuit. It’s on the drivers side footwell.

sac602 05-30-2021 12:59 PM

I just did something similar when I installed a victory 4x4 rear bumper which has 2x 3" led lights in it.

I tapped into reverse light on passenger side (from cargo area) using t-tap connector, relay and aob switch.

Standard relay connections:

85 to aob switch
86 ground
30 positive wire to led lights
87 accessory-on power (run with add a fuse to fuse block down passenger kick panels)
87a wire from reverse light

lights come on when put in reverse like normal, And, come on or when the switch is used in dash.

Check this out at Amazon
LED Light Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Blue Backlit Kit Compatible with Toyota Tundra Tacoma 4Runner-Rear Light Symbol Amazon.com: LED Light Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Blue Backlit Kit Compatible with Toyota Tundra Tacoma 4Runner-Rear Light Symbol: Automotive

Amazon.com: ONLINE LED STORE 6 Pack Bosch Style 5-Pin 12V Relay Kit [Interlocking Harness Socket Holder] [14 AWG Hot Wires] [SPDT] [30/40 Amp] 12 Volt Automotive Relays for Auto Fan Cars: Automotive

Qibaok 240 PCS T-Tap Wire Connectors Self-Stripping Quick Splice Electrical Terminals and Nylon Insulated Male Quick Disconnect Spade Terminals Kit: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Uriveusa 12V Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Fuse Holder with 10A, 20A Fuse [Upgraded Fuses] - (2 Pack) (Mini Fuse): Automotive

sac602 05-30-2021 01:02 PM

I just did something similar when I installed a victory 4x4 rear bumper which has 2x 3" led lights in it.

I tapped into reverse light on passenger side (from cargo area) using t-tap connector, relay and aob switch.

85 to aob switch
86 ground
87 accessory-on power (run with add a fuse to fuse block down passenger kick panels)

lights come on when put in reverse like normal, And, come on or when the switch is used in dash.

Check this out at Amazon
LED Light Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Blue Backlit Kit Compatible with Toyota Tundra Tacoma 4Runner-Rear Light Symbol Amazon.com: LED Light Push Button Switch with Connector Wire Blue Backlit Kit Compatible with Toyota Tundra Tacoma 4Runner-Rear Light Symbol: Automotive

Amazon.com: ONLINE LED STORE 6 Pack Bosch Style 5-Pin 12V Relay Kit [Interlocking Harness Socket Holder] [14 AWG Hot Wires] [SPDT] [30/40 Amp] 12 Volt Automotive Relays for Auto Fan Cars: Automotive

Qibaok 240 PCS T-Tap Wire Connectors Self-Stripping Quick Splice Electrical Terminals and Nylon Insulated Male Quick Disconnect Spade Terminals Kit: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Amazon.com: Uriveusa 12V Car Add-A-Circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Fuse Holder with 10A, 20A Fuse [Upgraded Fuses] - (2 Pack) (Mini Fuse): Automotive

spyder918 05-31-2021 01:16 AM

Very cool. Thanks for all the tips and replies! Yeah I'm just looking for a quick/dirty way to get some lights in the rear for when we go camping and stuff. I don't have any 3rd party roof racks to wire a whole Rear Light set and so I thought tapping into the existing reverse lights would be easier.

Also I thought it would be something cool to flash the idiot speed racer tailgaters..lol.

lewdog998 05-31-2021 11:03 AM

The diode dynamics kit turn to reverse kit works really well. I have done this and it great.....but I get what you mean by flashing tailgaters....I have a set of floods mounted on the rear of my rack, and it works great for tailgaters.

2014-2021 Toyota 4Runner Tail as Turn™ Module +Backup Module (USDM)

sac602 05-31-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sac602 (Post 3642126)

85 to aob switch
86 ground

Check this out at Amazon

I tried to send a PM to a member with a question, but I dont think I did it right, so here is the diagram...

sac602 05-31-2021 03:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sac602 (Post 3642396)
I tried to send a PM to a member with a question, but I dont think I did it right, so here is the diagram...

attached wiring diagram...

????? 05-31-2021 06:06 PM

I have this setup soon to be installed for a little extra rearward lighting

Just waiting on some DT connectors to quickly remove for towing.

HitchPod Combos - Hotshot Offroad

daytonaviolet 05-31-2021 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sac602 (Post 3642398)
attached wiring diagram...

Looks okay. But most folks use 86 as gnd and 85 no from the switch.

ElectroBoy 05-31-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 3642432)
Looks okay. But most folks use 86 as gnd and 85 no from the switch.

It shouldn’t make any difference. They’re just the coil pins. But it’s a good idea to be consistent with your schematics.
https://m.delcity.net/images/linedra...%20Diagram.pdf