Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Tire Research Vomit (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/297796-tire-research-vomit.html)

oltombon 05-31-2021 02:17 PM

Tire Research Vomit

I've about driven myself mad researching tires the last two weeks. I'm down to 4 tires. Dumping this here partly to organize my own thoughts, partly to see if anyone has any takes. All info is based on a 265/70/17 tire.

This tire is going on my '20 TRD Offroad. Leaning towards a more aggressive all-terrain because I only put about 7-8k miles a year on this vehicle. Not a commuter, but still do the majority of the miles on pavement.

Did discount's rating system (Good, Better, Best):

Yokohama Geolandar X-AT (E)

Price: $227
Style: Better
Height: Best (32")
Weight: Good (56lbs)
Rep: Better

I like it because it's the tallest of the stock sized tires. Also probably my second favorite looking design.

BFG KO2 (E)

Price: $230
Style: Best
Height: Good (31.6")
Weight: Better (54lbs)

The best looking all-terrain. Nothing else about it seems to stand out though.

Toyo Open Country AT3 (E)

Price: $230
Style: Better
Weight: Best (49lbs)

The 2nd or 3rd best looking, and the lightest.

Falken Wildpeak AT3 (E)

Price: $246
Style: Good
Weight: Better (53lbs)
Rep: Best

The Falken is not my favorite but probably the most well-recommended of the 4 on forums. The worst looking of the 4 to me.

armabill 05-31-2021 02:40 PM

I was looking at the Grabber A/TX.

Its GSatt 06-01-2021 02:39 AM

My two cents, don’t get conservative if you want a good looking tire. Get the right size to get a stance you want. 265/70-17 probably not it. You can get the “best looking” tire, but if it’s too small, you’ll have remorse. Find the size. I’m in the 3rd Gen and that size looks beef on this, but your rig will swallow that . I think there’s a 275/70-17 if I recall on my research for my tires. Not the most popular, but someone makes it and it should be a 33”. I think BFG. More importantly, a little wider. Makes a big difference if you staying close to stock.

Good luck, I spent months calculating what tire. It influences where you might end up with a lift etc. etc. and one thing leads to another….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Tanker 06-01-2021 08:46 AM

Don't be overly conservative, sure. But also make sure that the tire fits - you should be able to jack it all the way to the bump stop and go from full turn to full turn without anything rubbing.

oltombon 06-01-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Its GSatt (Post 3642540)
My two cents, don’t get conservative if you want a good looking tire.

Yeah, I’m with you here. One thing I didn’t mention is that I don’t intend to lift this vehicle. I looked at 275/70s initially but 1) limited choices and 2) don’t want rub.

I think this is why I’m leaning towards the Yokohama. At 32”, it’s the biggest 265/70 I could find and close to a lot of AT offerings in 275/70. Plus it looks good and Yokohama makes a good tire afaik.

Swipter 06-01-2021 12:26 PM

My intention was to not lift and go with yoko at x but the weight was a little much for me. I really don't off road but I wanted the stance.

I went with toyo atiii p285 70r17 tires with fn wheels and a 3 inch lift. The total weight is one pound less than stock tires and wheels. My mpg is unchanged for combined driving and they track and ride great.

I also drive very little, annually, and 14k on my 3-year old sr5. My wife now likes my 4runner better than hers and wants the same done to get Limited 4runner.

I totally agree with above that 265 is not it. Do it once and do it right and you'll be happy.

MAST4R 06-01-2021 01:35 PM

Yeah, looking into tires can drive one nuts.

You are missing my current tire, which is the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3.

Your tires belong to two sub-categories:

Lighter duty for the Toyo and Falken and heavier duty for the ATZ P3, the X-AT, and the KO2.

Of the latter, the KO2 is easy for me to discard.

So that leaves the ATZ P3 vs the X-AT.

They have the same full 32" height and seem to have the same weight. Both have a 3-ply sidewall. Both should do better in mud than anything else on your list.

I can say that the ATZ P3 has surprised me for how civilized it has been on road, at least on stiffer suspension. I don't think any E load will play nice with the soft stock suspension but I can be wrong :)

Off-road, it offers total peace of mind and does great at 21 psi. Short of deep sand and the like, it can do just fine at 28 as well, just less comfort over rocks.

I am not sure I have a strong opinion about ATZ P3 vs X-AT.

Ripper238 06-01-2021 01:52 PM

Curious, why not Duratracs and why an extra heavy E load?

Bumbo 06-01-2021 04:14 PM

Have you considered anything other than an E load? It will open up some options. Personally I dislike how an E load feels... I usually stick to C and D load at most.

If you only put low mileage and actually use the truck off-road, I would get a mud-terrain. I absolutely love how well they do off-road.

I know... not making it any easier lol

patkelly4370 06-01-2021 05:15 PM

Where are you driving? Different places have different demands.
I live in the southwest desert.
Ambient temperatures can reach 120°+. Offroading is sharp rocks and ledges. Wet and snow traction is less of a priority (it does snow here too)
I've been researching tires for the eventual replacement. My choice for me is the Toyo Open Country A/T III. But I see every make and model on vehicles around here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oltombon 06-02-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripper238 (Post 3642687)
Curious, why not Duratracs and why an extra heavy E load?

Thanks for this post - you made me re-think everything haha. Not sure why I hadn't considered the Duratrac - but I researched it, and due to another comment I read, also decided on getting 255/75/17s...which the duratrac is offered in! I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of SL Duratracs in that size since discount tire is doing a sale on them right now. Appreciate you!

ToyotaWorldRunners 06-02-2021 12:11 PM

I've ran the duratracs in a 31" and a 33" on a few different rigs and really like their overall performance. I also think they are one of (if not the most) aggressive and good looking all terrain tire. Every tire has it's downsides, but I would vote for the duratracs or the geolander.

oltombon 06-04-2021 12:51 PM

Decision finally made.

Ordered a set of Yokohama Geolandar M/Ts in 255/75/17 from discount. Have an appt next Wednesday to get them put on. Will post a pic.

Ripper238 06-09-2021 05:12 PM

Interesting choice. Definitely let us know how they are. Curious how they are in the rain. Did u go with a C load?

whyzee125 06-09-2021 09:39 PM

I've had a lot of A/T's and IMO, Toyo ATII and AT3 are by far my favorites. I wouldn't hesitate to go Toyo with the options listed here. You won't regret it.