Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stock tires rubbing after alignment? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/297859-stock-tires-rubbing-after-alignment.html)

Nology 06-02-2021 04:48 PM

Stock tires rubbing after alignment?

2 Attachment(s)
I recently put on some Falken Wildpeak tires in the stock size and had an alignment. After the alignment, I started getting some tire rub on the left side mud flap. I went through the paperwork and realized I never got a print out of the specs so I can't see exactly where everything is at. I've seen countless threads of this happening with larger tires and a lift but don't recall seeing any with stock tires.

Devbot 06-02-2021 04:59 PM

Mud flap? Are you referring to the rear tires? If so it's solid axle and does not receive alignment. Maybe they rotated them around and a slightly larger one got swapped in, now causing rubbing?
In any sense, caster angle is what determines how far forward your wheel is, so if by some chance you're referring to the front I'd just go back and ask them to increase it/set it back to where it was
Edit: just realized they're brand new. Could be the size of the tread being increased opposed to what you had previously. I'm assuming you didn't notice rubbing before the alignment when you still have them on, at least

thezentree 06-02-2021 05:12 PM

My 285s fit better than that. I'd take that back and let them have the opportunity to try again.

Endlessblockades 06-02-2021 05:25 PM

Pretty sure rear wheels receive a toe and camber adjustment. I always get a "4 wheel alignment" (for $50 using a Groupon - old school) and the sheet has different degrees noted before/after for the rears. I pulled my mud flaps before I tired-up, so no help there.

Devbot 06-02-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3643179)
Pretty sure rear wheels receive a toe and camber adjustment. I always get a "4 wheel alignment" (for $50 using a Groupon - old school) and the sheet has different degrees noted before/after for the rears. I pulled my mud flaps before I tired-up, so no help there.

I'd love to see where these alignment cams are then, cause I have a strong feeling they're jerking you around.

Endlessblockades 06-02-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3643190)
I'd love to see where these alignment cams are then, cause I have a strong feeling they're jerking you around.

They never mentioned it. Some kind of black magic I suppose......that's Big-O Tires for ya! It makes no sense. I know you can adjust thrust angle on a leaf spring rear end....

phattyduck 06-02-2021 06:31 PM

They'd have to really pull the caster down to get the tire back that far. You say stock sized tire - can you confirm the actual numbers on the side of the tire?

-Charlie

Nology 06-02-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3643198)
They'd have to really pull the caster down to get the tire back that far. You say stock sized tire - can you confirm the actual numbers on the side of the tire?

-Charlie

That's with the tire turned closest to where it rubs. It only rubs in reverse. Tire size is 265/70R16.

Bad Luck 06-03-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3643179)

There is no way to adjust toe and camber on the rear axle. If you have adjustable upper and lower control arms then you can change the pinion angle and the thrust angle of the axle but that's it. You are really only get a front end alignment.

Endlessblockades 06-03-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3643483)
There is no way to adjust toe and camber on the rear axle. If you have adjustable upper and lower control arms then you can change the pinion angle and the thrust angle of the axle but that's it. You are really only get a front end alignment.

I wonder what the hocus-pocus they put on the sheet is all about. If I ever get another alignment from them, I'll call them on it.

fourfive 06-03-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3643517)
I wonder what the hocus-pocus they put on the sheet is all about. If I ever get another alignment from them, I'll call them on it.

You still get camber & toe readings for the rear wheels but they're not adjustable on the rear solid axle.

Endlessblockades 06-03-2021 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourfive (Post 3643529)
You still get camber & toe readings for the rear wheels but they're not adjustable on the rear solid axle.

Yep but how is it that they appear to change somewhat on the printout before/after the fronts are adjusted? Is it a result of an altered front stance? Seems odd, if so...

fourfive 06-03-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3643543)
Yep but how is it that they appear to change somewhat on the printout before/after the fronts are adjusted? Is it a result of an altered front stance? Seems odd, if so...

The changes in the rear toe & camber during a front end alignment is usually pretty minimal but yes, my experience has been as the front end alignment changes, it has a mild impact on the unadjustable rear wheels.

Bad Luck 06-03-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Even the laser alignment machines aren't as accurate/repeatable as everyone is made to think. They are much better than the old style "analog" alignment machines but they still aren't perfect. During the alignment process most laser alignment machines require you to roll the vehicle either forward into position or backward then forward to where it was in order to measure camber. In order to get a caster reading the steering wheel needs to be rotated one way, then the opposite direction, then centered. All of this movement can cause sensors to change from the original positions resulting in a slight change in the rear alignment. Typically 0.01-0.03 changes in rear toe throughout that process are normal to see. I have seen rear alignment measurements change more than that due to bent parts or bad bushings allowing for more movement.

Devbot 06-03-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Like I said, they're jerking you around most likely. """Alignment technicians""", if you can even call them that, are as sketchy as lube techs. You give them an inch of ignorance and they take a mile
But I just don't trust many mechanics so I'm always skeptical of getting shafted somehow