Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Bolt-on Roof Rack Security (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298059-bolt-roof-rack-security.html)

Token_Indian 06-10-2021 04:24 PM

Bolt-on Roof Rack Security

Hey Everyone,

When I purchased my 4runner it came with a custom roof rack that bolts directly onto the roof. To those who have roof racks that bolt on directly, what are you using for security measures to protect the rack from theft? Assuming someone would just need the correct socket size to take it off.

I have been looking around online for specialty bolts that could be used that would deter theft (understanding a professional thief would not be deterred), but they require purchasing 100 bolts for productions sake. I want to attach it to the body, but that would require drilling which I am not interested in right now.

Just curious if I am being over protective or just a basic loctite and peace of mind is all you need?

Thanks.

STX4Runner 06-10-2021 06:38 PM

You're being OCD. If anyone can get up there and unbolt your rack, more power to them. I haven't heard of a rash of roof rack thefts. If you're really concerned about it you could get something from here.

McMaster-Carr

Gamma Ray 06-10-2021 07:04 PM

Yeah, I'd be more worried about things being stolen from the rack than the rack itself being stolen.

a47chuck 06-10-2021 09:11 PM

Bolt on security is an oxymoron.

jetmechG550 06-10-2021 10:02 PM

No thief is going to take waste that much time trying to steal a rack and unless they're 7' 6" they'll need to stand on something

mochacho 02-14-2024 03:13 PM

I tried to find the most obscure security bolts that would deter an average thief because if they really want it they'll hack it up and take it no matter what you secure it with.

I ordered some 1/4-20 stainless #14 drilled spanner bolts to secure my cross bars that are attached to my Inspired overland RTT. My Westcott Designs rack is also fitted with wide truss head spanners.

I couldnt even find the spanner bit at any of my major hardware stores and had to order them online. So its not an average bit that people carry like torx/ security torx.