Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Retrofitting garage door overhead button in 2020 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298166-retrofitting-garage-door-overhead-button-2020-a.html)

RoamingScott 06-15-2021 02:52 PM

Retrofitting garage door overhead button in 2020

All, curious if anyone has found the part number from the premium trims like the Venture/Pro that have the integrated garage door opener button up by the off road controls. I'd love to just swap that panel and gain some functionality on my 2020 Off Road. Thanks!

This is the panel I'd be looking to get:

https://4rstatic.net/attachments/4f0...2d8-jpg.19947/

davem 06-15-2021 07:21 PM

That’s where the buttons are in my 2014 SR5P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08TxRunner 06-15-2021 07:47 PM

FYI the SR5P has it too.

daytonaviolet 06-15-2021 08:18 PM

I have the oem garage opener on my runner. Problem, the programmed button is always active. Even if truck is locked, if someone breaks the window and pushes the button... they can gain access to your garage.

Bad design.

08TxRunner 06-15-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 3647474)
I have the oem garage opener on my runner. Problem, the programmed button is always active. Even if truck is locked, if someone breaks the window and pushes the button... they can gain access to your garage.

Bad design.

What year? My '20 sure isn't like that and I've tested it. Edit, see that you have a '16.

daytonaviolet 06-16-2021 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08TxRunner (Post 3647493)
What year? My '20 sure isn't like that and I've tested it. Edit, see that you have a '16.

Perhaps it was fixed at a later year ? But yes my 16 limited has this issue. I tested it by locking with the windows down for an hour. I reached in and pressed the garage opener and it opened.

Yours is 2020 and does not do this ? Perhaps I should get the one for the 2020 limited ?

97BlackAckCL 06-16-2021 10:26 AM

You'll need a homelink overhead console. I retrofitted one into my Acura, you should be able to swap one into the 4Runner I would think. My SR5P came with it stock also

gsla72 06-16-2021 10:30 AM

I thought about going this route for a long time. With the way Toyota wires their vehicles, I was worried that the harness for the homelink features/buttons would be different in my trail that did not originally come with the option. If memory serves, the pigtail for the overhead console may be different between the versions.

I ended up buying a frameless mirror and running a power wire to an add-a-fuse that only works when the key is in the "on" position. This keeps the buttons from being active when the car is parked. My 4R didn't have the auto-dim mirror originally, so I was able to add two features I didn't have with the mirror. If yours already has the auto-dim mirror you may not have to run the power wire all the way to the fuse box.

IanB 06-16-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 3647474)

Bad design.

This has always been the way integrated homelink has worked in my experience. It's always hot, just like a battery powered garage opener remote.

daytonaviolet 06-16-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanB (Post 3647673)
This has always been the way integrated homelink has worked in my experience. It's always hot, just like a battery powered garage opener remote.

Seems the later years may have been powered off during lock.

IanB 06-17-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 3647699)
Seems the later years may have been powered off during lock.

If that's the case, it could be in the canbus circuitry that kills power to that circuit, or it could be a different homelink module than earlier models, but my money is on canbus differences. If you look up part #'s for each you can confirm if the homelink is the same.

KingPrat 06-17-2021 02:43 PM

Here's your part number. 81260-35690-B0

Quite the hefty price for homelink. $640 for console w/o sunroof w/ homelink.

Rottwagon 06-19-2021 01:58 AM

I have a 2019 trdp. No need for my home link setup. I’d actually rather use that space for aux switches. Can this be swapped out easily to someone that could use it??

StomblinBear 12-09-2022 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rottwagon (Post 3648444)
I have a 2019 trdp. No need for my home link setup. I’d actually rather use that space for aux switches. Can this be swapped out easily to someone that could use it??

did anyone ever get back to you? i was hoping to do the same.

gakattack 12-16-2022 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomblinBear (Post 3774120)
did anyone ever get back to you? i was hoping to do the same.

As the OEM homelink buttons are always on (at least for most years), I don't recommend going the route that OP is wanting to do. Others have done this too, but here's a much cheaper and very easy route to go with a Subaru mirror:

Easy mod: Gentex HomeLink mirror from a Subaru