Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   After market dipstick? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298181-after-market-dipstick.html)

dcjeeper 06-15-2021 09:25 PM

After market dipstick?

1 Attachment(s)
Are there any aftermarket dipsticks available? 4Runner’s dipstick is so poor designed that every time I check the oil level, I have to pull it out and wait for at least 10 minutes then insert it into the tube to get the correct level. Really annoying. My MB ‘s dipstick is so much better even with synthetic oil.

Saker 06-15-2021 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcjeeper (Post 3647506)
Are there any aftermarket dipsticks available? 4Runner’s dipstick is so poor designed that every time I check the oil level, I have to pull it out and wait for at least 10 minutes then insert it into the tube to get the correct level. Really annoying. My MB ‘s dipstick is so much better even with synthetic oil.

So how is changing the dipstick going to shorten your wait time?

What is there some majic fast acting dipstick your MB used?

Please explain!

LeekT4R 06-16-2021 12:36 AM

Guess how i know you cant operate a toyota dipstick?

1000MPH 06-16-2021 02:32 AM

OP is basically right. Dipstick sucks because it rubs on the tube when removing or replacing. The only way I can get an accurate reading is to check it after it’s been sitting for hours and then you’ve go one shot. If you don’t have this problem you’re lucky.

dcjeeper 06-16-2021 06:54 AM

Yes, I know how to check the oil level with a dipstick. It’s just the design that makes it very difficult to check. You have to pull it out and let it sit for at least 10min so the oil in the tube clears. Otherwise it’s everywhere on the wall and you can’t tell where is the line. The picture I posted is a MB dipstick that has a thick and brown plastic tip that prevents it from rubbering the wall. It works much better than Toyota’s.

<<<< 06-16-2021 12:23 PM

The engineering problem is not with dipstick but in dipstick tube that is too small in diameter. Changing stick wont improve your results.

jp.vegas 06-16-2021 01:13 PM

Make sure you go with the carbon fiber option to add lightness.

lewdog998 06-16-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

You are spot on. My e550 was super easy to read and service. I could change the oil (using an extractor) and filter all from top with zero mess and it took maybe 15 minutes tops.

Whippersnapper02 06-16-2021 03:14 PM

Unfortunately nothing. I like the "scoop" style dipstick on my uncle's Accord but Toyota has moved forward past useful dipsticks.

rightyouareken 06-16-2021 03:48 PM

This is probably my biggest gripe with the 4Runner as well. I guess that's saying something lol.

I think the problem is a combination of the blade style dipstick, the narrow/long/winding tube that smears oil everywhere inside, and really thin/light colored oil. You really only get one shot with fresh-ish oil before you basically can't read the level.

Like you, I find my e36 M3's dipstick very easy to read because it also has a plastic end piece, a short/straight tube, and thick-ish oil which doesn't run and smear all over the inside of the tube. Even my 3rd Gen 4Runner's dipstick was a cinch to read with it's short length and thicker oil.

lewdog998 06-16-2021 04:16 PM

i think the combination of the flat blade and smooth surface hurts the oils ability to cling to the stick (that sounds dirty).....

I think I may try scribing some hash marks in it with a carbide scribe....maybe that would help more oil cling, making it easier to read...just a thought.

08TxRunner 06-16-2021 06:29 PM

Having owned a 4th gen, the day after I got my '20 I ran the last two inches of the dipstick (both sides) across my bench grinder stone. It helps some, but not much. Maybe a little bit with the reading in that area, but as noted, it's the long swipe of oil from the tube that distorts the reading the most.

ElectroBoy 06-16-2021 06:35 PM

You can rough up and scratch hash marks into the blade so the oil has a chance to stick better. But one side of the blade always gets a smear.
Good thing these beasts use so little oil. After an oil change I’ve never had to top off the oil level.

Old Tanker 06-16-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Are there any aftermarket dipsticks available?

Clearly, we need an Overland Dipstick - $250, but on sale with free shipping and 10% off. Zero functional difference, but the buyers will be so invested that they will swear it is better.

5thToy 06-16-2021 08:58 PM

While there appears to be consensus regarding difficulty in reading 4Runner oil level, enthusiasm for gourmet dispsticks apparently lags.