Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   lost power steering suddenly (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/298303-lost-power-steering-suddenly.html)

Simmer 06-22-2021 11:28 AM

lost power steering suddenly

Hi guys - was up in the mountains over the weekend and lost power steering suddenly. Dumped all the fluid out. Not sure why, wasn't wheeling or anything crazy but the dirt forest service road I was on is bumpy, rocky, etc. The entire section under the hood near the pump is wet with oil, not sure where specifically it's leaking out but it's not a slow leak.

I had about ~100 miles to get home with zero power steering. What is the probability I burned up my pump running it with no fluid? What about my rack? I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to fix, but since they're piece-rate I'm not expecting any forward thinking - just fixing the leak and moving on. Should I be worried about my steering rack or any other part for damage?

Thanks

gamefreakgc 06-22-2021 02:26 PM

Rack should be ok, since it doesn't seem like the seals on the rack were the point of failure. It was on mine and there was no brining it back. The pump is just mechanically driven so there's no risk of 'burning out the motor' like on an electric pump. I suspect the dealership will replace it anyway. You should be fine after the repair.

Simmer 06-22-2021 02:39 PM

Thank you! I appreciate your time in reply. Someone had mentioned to me about metal shavings from the pump going into the rack, wasn't sure if that was a large concern or not. Yeah I don't mind if they replace the pump at all, in fact I'd prefer they do just to be safe.

ReconcileUs 06-22-2021 03:04 PM

Why the dealer? No good local mechanic?

Bad Luck 06-22-2021 04:46 PM

That's really going to depend on what failed and why. It's hard to say if your rack is okay or not, but I'd be willing to guarantee that your pump is toast.

Simmer 06-23-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReconcileUs (Post 3649324)
Why the dealer? No good local mechanic?

Not that I've found, no. Only one I have found is crazy busy, hard to get an appointment.

Simmer 06-23-2021 06:01 PM

Dealer said the seal(s) within the pump itself failed, so new pump. Lines are still good. Said they'd flush it so I'm hoping rack is okay too (nothing bad getting into rack from the failed pump).

Thanks again guys! :)

Endlessblockades 06-23-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmer (Post 3649697)
Dealer said the seal(s) within the pump itself failed, so new pump. Lines are still good. Said they'd flush it so I'm hoping rack is okay too (nothing bad getting into rack from the failed pump).

Thanks again guys! :)

What's the damage for a new PS pump at the dealer?

Simmer 06-23-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3649703)

They haven't told me yet, I told 'em to just order it. I'll let you know what they say when I get it back!

gamefreakgc 06-24-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simmer (Post 3649710)
They haven't told me yet, I told 'em to just order it. I'll let you know what they say when I get it back!

A new pump from Toyota retails online for about $300. The dealer will most likely mark up that price to near MSRP of $461. Add in 3-4 hours of labor, fluid costs, and taxes, I think it will cost somewhere around $950.

brillo_76 06-24-2021 07:54 PM

I agree with gamefreak with pricing. I have no idea why the vane pumps are so expensive OEM.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

3bears 06-25-2021 01:03 AM

not knowing your skill levels. but its not a difficult job and pumps can be had for under 150 at auto part stores
yes you should flush the system
I would have cut the belt if I blew a pump in the middle of no place

Simmer 07-01-2021 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3650046)
not knowing your skill levels. but its not a difficult job and pumps can be had for under 150 at auto part stores
yes you should flush the system
I would have cut the belt if I blew a pump in the middle of no place

Shoot, I didn't even think of this. I think that's smart, I should have done this! I will if this ever happens again...

Simmer 07-01-2021 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3649703)

Was roughly 700 but I'm not sure if they gave me any sort of help or not since I was just in previously for timing belt.