Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear hatch won't close - PROBLEM/SOLUTION (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298343-rear-hatch-wont-close-problem-solution.html)

AirspeedX 06-23-2021 05:00 PM

Rear hatch won't close - PROBLEM/SOLUTION

Long time since Ive been on here.

Short story:
Had a couple hours to pack up to take the family camping, leaving early the next morning. All packed up, go to shut the rear hatch and it bounces back up towards me. Umm? Check the obvious, bounce, bounce. About 100 more bounces and cursing and I realize I'm in trouble

TLDR:

Rear hatch does not shut!

This shouldn't be happening to a 5th gen. But it did and apparently it does.
The latching mechanism rusts, gets gunked up, whatever and fails. I am very diligent in lubricating my door latches with white lithium grease by the way but this still happened.

I found a YouTube video (Stuck open or closed rusty Tailgate Latch fix for 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner - YouTube explained the situation with more depth. When the hook of the latch hits the striker and rotates around it, there is a tiny little lever that moves into position to lock it into place. This lever wasn't moving. I cleaned it, brake cleaner, q-tips, PB Blaster, gas overnight, etc and it still wouldn't work properly.

In the short term - I manually moved this little lever to the almost closed position and shut the door and after a few attempts it would lock shut. I then had to roll the rear window down and somewhat reinstall the door panel with the door closed so the rear window wouldn't be moving back and forth.

Im leaving out many details here but this almost cost me a camping trip with my family.

Toyota wants $400 for an oem part, can source is online for $350 CAD.

Rock Auto had a chinese version for $150 shipped CAD. Just installed that (took not even 10 minutes, fluid filmed the snot out of it and its working as it should). Time will tell and I will update if it fails.

Sorry no pictures but I can add some if others get in this same jam.

CavPro 06-23-2021 05:13 PM

I'd take a fixed rear window 4r any day.

GreenMountainOwl 08-06-2022 05:50 PM

I’m now having this problem.

I appreciate the details above, however could someone point out exactly what has to pivot to solve the problem? I’m an older person and lack the skills to make any diagrams or edit photos— I’m not sure which part needs to be moved, and how, in order to make the solutions discussed here work properly.

I think I’m doing it correctly but I can’t get the latch to catch even after many attempts.

I’ve tried closing the hatch with the main rotating/swiveling latch part (for lack of a better term) in many different positions but it doesn’t make a difference.

Thank you.

spartacus 08-06-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMountainOwl (Post 3751732)
I’m now having this problem.

I appreciate the details above, however could someone point out exactly what has to pivot to solve the problem? I’m an older person and lack the skills to make any diagrams or edit photos— I’m not sure which part needs to be moved, and how, in order to make the solutions discussed here work properly.

I think I’m doing it correctly but I can’t get the latch to catch even after many attempts.

I’ve tried closing the hatch with the main rotating/swiveling latch part (for lack of a better term) in many different positions but it doesn’t make a difference.

Thank you.

Here is a video for a 4th gen that might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNMyV9ZOfE&feature=youtu.be

Disconnect the battery terminal, some have reported that the rear window stopped operating after the repair and they had to disconnect the battery and reconnect to get it going.

bioniccruiser 08-15-2022 05:52 PM

I just had this problem. I dug around in the mechanism after I had it removed from the hatch with a pick and got a small piece of black plastic that broke off from somewhere out. then I got a piece of rubber out too. same size. after that the mechanism started working. I can't find where the plastic came from. it couldn't really fall in with that white cover over it. from what I can see into the mechanism all looks good. so far it's back together and everything works as it should.

just wanted to pass along the info in case it saves someone else a bunch of $$.

flyrv9 08-15-2022 06:59 PM

I haven't had an issue with my rear hatch latch, but I have had a problem with the rubber weather strip that goes around the perimeter of the opening. It has come loose along the bottom and can cause the hatch to not latch. Or, it latches, but I get a "door open" light on the instrument cluster.

I think it comes loose from sliding things across it, like suitcases and boxes.

GreenMountainOwl 08-18-2022 10:06 AM

Alright...after much time and checking all possibilities from the outside, I visited a friend who is much more mechanically-inclined than I am and we tore into the thing.

Turns out it’s simply very rusty inside. The entire latch actuator assembly needs to be replaced.

Is this covered by my Certified Used warranty?

I called the dealership and despite giving them the correct part name, the service guy said he would need to look into it because he wasn’t sure what I was talking about.

Grug556 08-18-2022 11:04 AM

mine failed to. I cleaned it out and noticed that a small black plastic piece had broken off of it internally and was blocking the mechanism of the latch. Was a rectangular piece and black. Have a look for it maybe. Easy to see.

GreenMountainOwl 08-25-2022 10:06 PM

I’m finally out of the woods with this problem.

Mine was rusty through and through, no amount of penetrant made a difference.

I purchased an aftermarket replacement latch assembly and changed it in about half an hour. Everything is back to normal now

I know this is buried in a thread, but I have an installation tip that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere else: The hole where the latch assembly protrudes through actually has a recessed “lip” around it. If I had drawing skills, I’d make a diagram as it’s hard to explain until you have it disassembled. This lip is where the metal latch assembly as well as the two little plastic tabs on the top have to sit. I was struggling for a while because I could only get the latch or the plastic things through the large hole at a time, I couldn’t fit both at once. Finally I stopped and looked and noticed the lip, slid the bottom of the latch assembly through first, sat it on the lip, then rocked the plastic tabs outward until they caught. Once it’s there it’s a solid fit.

TK-422 08-27-2022 12:14 AM

I had this issue a few weeks ago on my 2015. The lock had closed itself before the hatch was fully engaged. I used a screwdriver to pop it open and closed the hatch.

I forgot about it until a few days later when I went grocery shopping. I didn't have any tools on me so I had to hear the emergency alert for the 6 miles home.

It looked OK so I cleaned it and put some super lube on it at it has been fine since.

osugsxr 05-15-2023 07:59 AM

my rear hatch is acting up, hit miss if it will open up. I sprayed some pb blaster in the lock portion to hopefully help. I'll need to source the actuator and replace it, DIY videos dont seem to bad .

*PB blaster did help and hatch opened on first try, did see some rust from looking into it