Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Falken's Wildpeak 265/70R17 is the way to go (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298572-falkens-wildpeak-265-70r17-way-go.html)

Gouranga 07-02-2021 08:38 PM

Falken's Wildpeak 265/70R17 is the way to go

after months of research..

THE SL :) they are light only a few lb's more than stock tires
the are just as quiet as the oem tires i cant tell the difference noise wise before and after as it sounds the same and thats a good thing.. handling is great .. nothing bad to say what so ever..

the wall looks aggressive more aggressive than the TOYO's K02s

i went with 265s (because they are more like 275s) fit wise they fit perfectly with stock everything on a 2021 venture.

pic before with the peasant stock tires
. then you can see the gap at full turn fits perfect

https://i.imgur.com/UcFHE0E.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J3LltxM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kSe34IH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NRAcLUQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1o27sJ7.jpg

jlficken 07-02-2021 09:36 PM

If only they hadn't started making them in China :nono:

Tuco S. 07-02-2021 10:49 PM

SL load + Heavy for size + Made in China = Strike 4

Pedro367 07-03-2021 08:06 AM

Toyo KO2s are my favorite sidewall design.

Mudballz 07-03-2021 08:51 AM

Great tire !!! My set were not made in China I have 10k on them best all around tire that has done it all well especially in the rain :guitar2:
Mike

DallasTRDPro 07-03-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudballz (Post 3652318)
Great tire !!! My set were not made in China I have 10k on them best all around tire that has done it all well especially in the rain :guitar2:
Mike

I love mine as well. They do well in snow and rain.

5thToy 07-03-2021 10:43 AM

I'm sure they are great tires, but one thing they are not is "light". They are heavy tires by comparison to the competition. The 265 SL is a half pound heavier than the 265 KO2 in C load.

jimmied 07-03-2021 11:03 AM

I thought the same as well and am still happy but they will get progressively louder. They are not loud but they are loud enough at this point to where I might not use them again. Still undecided but close to that break even point.

Dzldust 07-03-2021 09:34 PM

Love mine ,good choice

vonhughes 07-03-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasTRDPro (Post 3652331)
I love mine as well. They do well in snow and rain.

I've got 'em on my 2002 and they are ANIMALS in the snow. I mean crazy good! Not too much road noise in the clear, either.

Baystate4Runner 07-03-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlficken (Post 3652272)
If only they hadn't started making them in China :nono:

Mine are made in the USA.

MAST4R 07-03-2021 10:45 PM

They are great tires for most conditions and they come at a great price.

However, in my use (which is very unfriendly to tires), the really good SL tread lasts just 10-12,000 miles ( I have had 7 SL Wildpeaks, true for all of them, whether made in Thailand or the US) and once we get over 20k, by which the tires are 8/32 or less, punctures in the desert start happening. I had three.

I never had issues with them in Montana where they drove over tons of sticks. I never had issues in Utah or in AZ with brand new tires. All three punctures were on tires under 9/32, all in the Sonoran desert (same as Baja).

They are a great tire and probably ideal for Canada but no tire is perfect and folks in Arizona, Nevada, and So Cal will want to look elsewhere if they do a lot of desert driving.

rhadam 07-03-2021 11:07 PM

265 Wildpeaks was one of the first changes I made after buying my 2017. Mine were stamped USA. Great tires that work well in the rain and off-road. Went up to 275 10ply Wildpeaks and am very happy. When these wear out i'll throw in 285 Wildpeaks.

760Runner 07-04-2021 12:58 AM

I have the 285s on c rating and I love them. Ive used them off-roading in the deserts of California and Arizona, Utah region and they kick ass in the rain, Everyone raves about these tires and I can see why.

honda250xtitan 07-04-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAST4R (Post 3652460)
They are great tires for most conditions and they come at a great price.

However, in my use (which is very unfriendly to tires), the really good SL tread lasts just 10-12,000 miles ( I have had 7 SL Wildpeaks, true for all of them, whether made in Thailand or the US) and once we get over 20k, by which the tires are 8/32 or less, punctures in the desert start happening. I had three.

I never had issues with them in Montana where they drove over tons of sticks. I never had issues in Utah or in AZ with brand new tires. All three punctures were on tires under 9/32, all in the Sonoran desert (same as Baja).

They are a great tire and probably ideal for Canada but no tire is perfect and folks in Arizona, Nevada, and So Cal will want to look elsewhere if they do a lot of desert driving.

(cooper at 3 xlt) ;)

jlficken 07-04-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baystate4Runner (Post 3652457)
Mine are made in the USA.

According to Falken they are now made in China, USA, or Thailand and there's no way to tell what you are getting besides physically looking at the tires.

Since I can't buy them locally I won't take the risk of buying online and getting Chinese made tires I won't be buying them.

I was 100% going to buy them for my incoming 4Runner until I started seeing reports of them being made in China.

olyltd 07-04-2021 12:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A coworker bought the Wildpeak for his Tacoma and after seeing them on his I have bought two sets for different cars; one for 2016 4Runner Limited and one for 2019 Subaru Ascent. Both sets went on factory 20" wheels and I love that look.

Now we have a '21 Venture coming and plan to keep the matte black TRD 17" wheels and get another set of Wildpeak, but they look too big, or at least the 265, in the front wheel well.

The pic of them on my Limited, I also had a slight lift but can't remember how high. Maybe like 1.5" leveling.

I want to do a slight lift on the Venture for aesthetics so any suggestions?

BlueRidge77 07-04-2021 02:59 PM

Stock size SL are no where close to being light. I wish I weighed mine before I put them on back in Jan of 17, but on paper they are 7 lbs heavier (39lbs vs 46lbs) than OEM. I just put on SL 285/70-17 Toyo OC AT3 and they weigh only 1lb more at 47lbs. (Scale said 46.7). I will admit the Falken AT3W 265 width was pretty close to the Toyo 285 width so they run a bit wide.

The Falkens performed well at everything I threw at them and they gave me 60k miles. Bit on the loud side especially as they age. I wanted a quieter tire and wanted low weight at the 285 size so Falkens were out… went with the Toyos. We'll see how they age.

Signal 07-04-2021 03:23 PM

I loved the look of these but the Yokos I got were too good to pass up 725 for 5 tires @ 285/70/17 and they even came with a 45k mile warranty.

Bruin1md 07-04-2021 07:04 PM

So are they all made in China now? If so, that makes me re think buying them.
And shame on Falkken if that’s the case.

I was sure this would be my next tire ….. now I need to find another tire that matches it in terms of wet and snow traction and looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baystate4Runner 07-04-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin1md (Post 3652697)
So are they all made in China now? If so, that makes me re think buying them.
And shame on Falkken if that’s the case.

I was sure this would be my next tire ….. now I need to find another tire that matches it in terms of wet and snow traction and looks.

No - see post #16.
But it looks like you won’t know until you see them where they were made.
I bet you could have your tire shop order them for you under contingency that you only take them when made in USA.

Bruin1md 07-04-2021 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baystate4Runner (Post 3652702)
No - see post #16.
I bet you could have your tire shop order them for you under contingency that you only take them when made in USA.

Got it — just saw that post.

I gotta think there have to be manufacturers now catching up and making newer Gen tires to match or surpass the Falkens at this point…?

Pedro367 07-04-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin1md (Post 3652711)

I gotta think there have to be manufacturers now catching up and making newer Gen tires to match or surpass the Falkens at this point…?

There are and have been. These Falkens just seem to have a Jesus like following here and the rest of the Toyota world. Not saying they aren't good tires, by any means. Especially for the price.

Nitto Ridge Grapplers, BFG KO2s, Toyo AT3s. All great choices.

BlueRidge77 07-04-2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro367 (Post 3652738)
There are and have been. These Falkens just seem to have a Jesus like following here and the rest of the Toyota world. Not saying they aren't good tires, by any means. Especially for the price.

I think that cult following started back years ago when they were much cheaper than the competition which put their value through the roof. Now, the price has crept up to pretty much the same as General and Toyo… So now it’s a much tougher choice to go with them…

Bruin1md 07-04-2021 10:17 PM

Quote:

So, I’ll weigh in here:
I had E load KO2’s in my GX460 and absolutely hated them in the rain. Hands down the most overrated tire relative to the ratings …..
in retrospect, I had no business getting an E load tire on that and it was poor due diligence on my part.

I’ve also had Toyo open country tires (circa 2017) on my Ram 1500, and found them pretty mediocre as well.

My understanding is that the latest version — the Toyo AT3’s— have much improved wet traction and overall performance ?

jp.vegas 07-04-2021 10:18 PM

Love me some TOYO KO2s. :tongue:

91foxbody 07-04-2021 10:48 PM

Who cares if a tire is manufactured in China? If the tire is good it’s good, if it sucks it sucks.

meltdown 07-04-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin1md (Post 3652756)
My understanding is that the latest version — the Toyo AT3’s— have much improved wet traction and overall performance ?

We run them on an F150 at work. The individual who drives that truck talks very highly of them. They did very well during the big snow storm.

2021nightshade4x4 07-05-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Same with Cooper Zeons in the Rover World

kenwilliams0803 07-05-2021 12:10 PM

Will never buy again. Mine were not round, bad ones have to go on the back. Takes three road force balances to make them acceptable every time they get balanced. As a result, no rotation and they are louder than the super swampers on my Jeep.

Pedro367 07-05-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 (Post 3652861)
Same with Cooper Zeons in the Rover World

The car forum world is kind of funny like that. It takes only a couple people and good or bad about something can spread like wildfire. I remember when I was on the wrangler forums everyone went crazy for Rancho RS9000Xl shocks because a few people posted that they liked them. Drove me nuts haha.

I'm a firm believer in just trying things for myself because analysis paralysis on forums can get exhausting.

Snowtrooper 07-05-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenwilliams0803 (Post 3652881)
Will never buy again. Mine were not round, bad ones have to go on the back. Takes three road force balances to make them acceptable every time they get balanced. As a result, no rotation and they are louder than the super swampers on my Jeep.

What size and rating? And how long ago was this?

2021nightshade4x4 07-05-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro367 (Post 3652891)
The car forum world is kind of funny like that. It takes only a couple people and good or bad about something can spread like wildfire. I remember when I was on the wrangler forums everyone went crazy for Rancho RS9000Xl shocks because a few people posted that they liked them. Drove me nuts haha.

I'm a firm believer in just trying things for myself because analysis paralysis on forums can get exhausting.

I have two theories:

1.) Tire manufacturer has a specific size that suits that particular vehicle really well (stock rims with no trimming or lift)

2.) The thread found the right place among the right members - input from seasoned members or very descriptive reviews and pictures answer some of the unknowns for would-be shoppers and buyers

Either way it’s better than reading faceless reviews online from people who may not have even had them on your same make and model of vehicle. Discount tire reviews do show vehicle make/model of the reviewer, but it doesn’t mean your vehicle will be in the reviews.

Forum threads and pics are great and I regard members’ thoughts and experiences much more highly than any alternative. Love it here.

jlficken 07-05-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91foxbody (Post 3652764)
Who cares if a tire is manufactured in China? If the tire is good it’s good, if it sucks it sucks.

I won't buy tires made in China. If you want to great, however, I won't.

rhadam 07-05-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baystate4Runner (Post 3652702)
No - see post #16.

The shop that does my tires/lift/etc said they had a supplier with USA made Falkens. They have never given me a reason to question their word, so take that for what little it's worth haha.

CMTAZ 07-05-2021 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
265/70 17 w/ an Eibach Pro Truck lift kit. The ride is noticably better than factory, and the handling is much improved.

HanginInUtah 07-06-2021 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMTAZ (Post 3653000)
265/70 17 w/ an Eibach Pro Truck lift kit. The ride is noticably better than factory, and the handling is much improved.

I'm so glad to see your post. Been contemplating pulling the trigger on the Eibach lift. Thanks for your feedback!!

Dzldust 07-07-2021 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love mine,the 265/70r17 was a good fit for me, way cheaper than the 275/285 and even though I did put a small lift on (2”/1”) I’m still keeping them when most everybody jumps to the 285’s.No trimming,get to keep my mudflaps,no change in gearing needed which is good since we pull a small camper every now and then etc etc,the 4runner is a good daily driver/weekend beach or light trail rig, this size tires has worked great so far

Gouranga 10-05-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thToy (Post 3652337)
I'm sure they are great tires, but one thing they are not is "light". They are heavy tires by comparison to the competition. The 265 SL is a half pound heavier than the 265 KO2 in C load.

45.7 lbs is the 265 ko2

and the falkens are 46.5

and on top falkens are bigger tire and more square looking than the poverty ko2s

get ur facts straight boyo

5thToy 10-05-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gouranga (Post 3678609)
45.7 lbs is the 265 ko2

and the falkens are 46.5

and on top falkens are bigger tire and more square looking than the poverty ko2s

get ur facts straight boyo

You just reinforced the fact I stated that the P Rated Falken is heavier than the KO2 C Load in the same size.