Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Strange sound at engine — listen here. Lights flashing on dash too. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/298610-strange-sound-engine-—-listen-here-lights-flashing-dash-too.html)

Lewis&Clark 07-04-2021 11:17 PM

Strange sound at engine — listen here. Lights flashing on dash too.

At this URL, you can see a video of the sound my 2008 4Runner makes when starting up. Kind of a hum or motor sound.

Dropbox - Video Jul 04, 7 48 15 PM.mov - Simplify your life

This sound goes on for 25-30 seconds and then just stops. But then the check engine light and stability lights are on/solid, and the VSC OFF light is blinking.

I’ve had those light issues before and they were just as other threads talk about here — a poorly fitting gas cap. But I’ve never had this sound before.

Any thoughts?

Seymore Butts 07-05-2021 02:05 PM

If that's the V8 in your sig line, and the sound is coming from the engine compartment, then the first thing I'd suspect is the secondary air injection pump.

Lewis&Clark 07-06-2021 12:30 PM

Thanks. That’s a decent start for me to run with. This is indeed the V8. 2008 Limited.

Is there any connection between a potential secondary air injection pump issue, and the presence of the check engine, VSC, and traction control lights? Or is that more likely a coincidence?

Seymore Butts 07-06-2021 02:24 PM

Yes, a SAIP failure will trigger the CEL. Any time the CEL is activated for any reason, the truck will disable it's TC and VSC functions.

Around here, all auto parts stores will download the CEL code for you free of charge. It's a good place to start. That, and listening to the SAIP in the engine bay.

AuSeeker 07-06-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis&Clark (Post 3653212)
Thanks. That’s a decent start for me to run with. This is indeed the V8. 2008 Limited.

Is there any connection between a potential secondary air injection pump issue, and the presence of the check engine, VSC, and traction control lights? Or is that more likely a coincidence?

Read through the topic linked below for more on the SAIP (Secondary Air Injection Pump) failure, also contact @slyfox75 for a possible fix/bypass, he may respond in this topic since I "mentioned" above.

As mentioned finding out what codes have been triggered will help determine what the issue actually is.

Secondary Air Injection Pump Failure on V8's! Important!

Lewis&Clark 09-06-2021 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. It was indeed my secondary air injection system. I ended up having to replace the pump, filter, and tubes, but the problem went away when that was done. 1500 miles ago now, so hopefully it'll stay that way...