Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Oil filter re-located (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/298652-oil-filter-re-located.html)

rodsrunner 07-06-2021 02:53 PM

Oil filter re-located

I have a 2004 SR5 4.0 with the oil filter located in a very accessible position on top, why did they relocate below the motor and now the skid plate has to be removed?

rdruss 07-07-2021 03:36 PM

They didn't want you to get bored! There's a discussion about it somewhere on here, it was necessary because of some changes that had to be made that wouldn't allow it to remain where it is on yours.

rodsrunner 07-07-2021 10:30 PM

I looked but could not find any info, yes it was very nice.

rodsrunner 07-15-2021 12:33 PM

Does anyone know why?

Bumbo 07-15-2021 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodsrunner (Post 3655935)
Does anyone know why?

Because engineers are a$holes?

swampdodo 07-16-2021 02:54 PM

Because they wanted you to experience what it was like to change the oil on a 4th Gen V8...without actually having a V8...

ElectroBoy 07-16-2021 04:19 PM

Here’s one explanation of why the oil filter location was moved:

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3258223-post82.html

And another:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3259807-post89.html

rodsrunner 07-17-2021 09:30 AM

Thanks, now that makes sense.

Old Tanker 07-17-2021 10:23 AM

The new RAV4 has a canister filter and dual VVT, doesn't it?

SurferUK 07-17-2021 12:22 PM

How relieved am I that I have a single VVTI 2007 V6 - I don't think I would have got this filter off if it wasn't accessible on the top!! :ohwell:

It took over an hour and I tried every trick in the book...I kept going thinking it was utterly futile and eventually it moved. I had to use the strap for a whole turn before I could do it by hand

https://i.ibb.co/znMQNRt/6019579975004435740-121.jpg

AuSeeker 07-17-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3656469)
How relieved am I that I have a single VVTI 2007 V6 - I don't think I would have got this filter off if it wasn't accessible on the top!! :ohwell:

It took over an hour and I tried every trick in the book...I kept going thinking it was utterly futile and eventually it moved. I had to use the strap for a whole turn before I could do it by hand

https://i.ibb.co/znMQNRt/6019579975004435740-121.jpg

Most oil changes at dealership[s and private garages are done by the least experienced mechanics because it's not all that hard to do, I have seen many times a beginner mechanic use the oil filter wrench to tighten the oil filter instead of tightening it by hand as you're suppose to do, the reason to do it by hand is because over time and heat cycles the oil filter will become tighter because the rubber gasket tends to swell and it will be difficult to remove as you discovered.

I have also seen most beginner DYIers do the same thing as well when tightening the filter.

So there's a good reason most oil filters come with instructions to tighten the filter by hand until the gasket comes in contact and then tighten it another 1/4 turn and then check for leaks and then again after driving it a bit, if there's any leakage then you can tighten a bit more.

When I was still doing work professionally as a mechanic there were many filters I had to totally destroyed to get them off.

SurferUK 07-17-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3656503)
Most oil changes at dealership[s and private garages are done by the least experienced mechanics because it's not all that hard to do, I have seen many times a beginner mechanic use the oil filter wrench to tighten the oil filter instead of tightening it by hand as you're suppose to do, the reason to do it by hand is because over time and heat cycles the oil filter will become tighter because the rubber gasket tends to swell and it will be difficult to remove as you discovered.

I have also seen most beginner DYIers do the same thing as well when tightening the filter.

So there's a good reason most oil filters come with instructions to tighten the filter by hand until the gasket comes in contact and then tighten it another 1/4 turn and then check for leaks and then again after driving it a bit, if there's any leakage then you can tighten a bit more.

When I was still doing work professionally as a mechanic there were many filters I had to totally destroyed to get them off.

Yes mate, I have struggled with occasional tight filter on new (To me) vehicles I have bought but this was another level!

I was still feeling a sense of relief hours later, as I could not afford to destroy the filter as one way or another I needed to start the engine to move the vehicle back onto the driveway (On a hill)

You can see how close I got!

AuSeeker 07-17-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3656509)
Yes mate, I have struggled with occasional tight filter on new (To me) vehicles I have bought but this was another level!

I was still feeling a sense of relief hours later, as I could not afford to destroy the filter as one way or another I needed to start the engine to move the vehicle back onto the driveway (On a hill)

You can see how close I got!

Did you not have a new replacement filter, I'm confused, why were you removing the old filter???

SurferUK 07-17-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3656513)
Did you not have a new replacement filter, I'm confused, why were you removing the old filter???

Yes but if I broke the old filter and could not remove it, I then had no way of starting the engine (Without spraying oil everywhere) to get it back onto my driveway :)

AuSeeker 07-17-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurferUK (Post 3656533)
Yes but if I broke the old filter and could not remove it, I then had no way of starting the engine (Without spraying oil everywhere) to get it back onto my driveway :)

Once all the sheet metal of the filter is gone and only the threaded mounting flange left it is a much stronger/solid material/steel and also the holes in it makes it much easier to remove.