Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear Bumpers with Trailer Hitch (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/298686-rear-bumpers-trailer-hitch.html)

domhanna 07-07-2021 06:18 PM

Rear Bumpers with Trailer Hitch

I'm looking for a rear bumper with a trailer hitch. I'm tight on budget so affordability is key. I'm not towing anything heavy just a little U-Haul trailer but the rear part of my frame where a trailer hitch would go isn't in ideal shape for towing so I'm looking for a bumper kit.

I know there's a lot of options on the market I just wanna get opinions before I go buying.

phattyduck 07-07-2021 06:54 PM

You do understand that aftermarket bumpers bolt on to the same location of the frame that the stock hitch bolts to, right? If the frame is in bad shape back there, it will still be in bad shape with a new bumper.

There are a number of inexpensive aftermarket hitches that will do the job if you don't want to get an expensive rear bumper.

-Charlie

domhanna 07-07-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3653696)
You do understand that aftermarket bumpers bolt on to the same location of the frame that the stock hitch bolts to, right? If the frame is in bad shape back there, it will still be in bad shape with a new bumper.

There are a number of inexpensive aftermarket hitches that will do the job if you don't want to get an expensive rear bumper.

-Charlie

I figured they bolted in where the original bumper bolted in which is a little further up on the frame. I guess I'm stuck working with what I've got.

RandyBobandy 07-07-2021 07:32 PM

The factory rear bumper bolts to the body and I definitely wouldn’t want to tow anything with a hitch on those attachment points. Have that section of the frame repaired or find a friend who can help you. it’s an easy section to get to so not that hard to repair if you can weld, I fixed that section on mine and now have a factory hitch mounted

domhanna 07-07-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyBobandy (Post 3653704)
Have that section of the frame repaired or find a friend who can help you. it’s an easy section to get to so not that hard to repair if you can weld, I fixed that section on mine and now have a factory hitch mounted

this is probably what I'll end up doing. I have a buddy that can weld really well it's just a matter of how far we gotta go to find good steel to weld to. I definitely should've checked the whole frame before buying. It's great up until the rear suspension... ya live and you learn.

brillo_76 07-07-2021 08:59 PM

Yes the other users are spot on as if you frame is rotted so is your bumper mounts and floor pan were that hooks up to. Use my build thread as to how to fix your frame as DIY. Randy and I rebuld frames. So you can see how to do it as that's your best bet at this point. I wouldn't hook anything to a oem bumper nor those body mounts that support it. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

phattyduck 07-08-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhanna (Post 3653726)
this is probably what I'll end up doing. I have a buddy that can weld really well it's just a matter of how far we gotta go to find good steel to weld to. I definitely should've checked the whole frame before buying. It's great up until the rear suspension... ya live and you learn.

Sounds like somebody was dropping boats into the ocean earlier in the truck's life. Check the rear lower control arm brackets (inside of frame area) while you are under there...

-Charlie

diverscale 07-08-2021 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3653736)
Yes the other users are spot on as if you frame is rotted so is your bumper mounts and floor pan were that hooks up to. Use my build thread as to how to fix your frame as DIY. Randy and I rebuld frames. So you can see how to do it as that's your best bet at this point. I wouldn't hook anything to a oem bumper nor those body mounts that support it. :)

You should link your build thread to your signature. DIY frame repairs could be used by lot of people in here.

Riceye 07-12-2021 05:14 PM

4xinnovations.com

The fabrication is top-notch and their customer service is exceptional. Their rear bumper is truly DOT-3 rated.

I purchased both front and rear bumpers over a year ago (I took a 300mi road trip to save shipping costs) and had them hot-dip galvanised at a shop somewhat local to me in Milwaukee for $150. Everything went perfectly, although I did have to purchase a receiver with more drop to level my trailer.

96-02 4 Runner Rear Plate Bumper

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...2-1-105-c.jpeg
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...5-1-105-c.jpeg
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...4-1-105-c.jpeg

Endlessblockades 07-12-2021 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=Riceye;3655188
I purchased both front and rear bumpers over a year ago (I took a 300mi road trip to save shipping costs) and had them hot-dip galvanised at a shop somewhat local to me in Milwaukee for $150.
[/QUOTE]

Dang - something else to consider. There is Pacific Galvanizing right across the bay from me in Oakland....looks interesting.

brillo_76 07-12-2021 08:37 PM

I am really liking the idea of plate bumpers. :D. Deer will bounce off them. ;)

brillo_76 07-12-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diverscale (Post 3654074)
You should link your build thread to your signature. DIY frame repairs could be used by lot of people in here.

I ran out of lines in my signature...;) That's a good idea though. :]