Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Power Steering fluid low (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/298712-power-steering-fluid-low.html)

Qnbrew88 07-08-2021 12:59 PM

Power Steering fluid low

Good morning all,
I was searching for this topic but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2004 V6 SR5 with 129K miles.
Yesterday i noticed my power steering fluid reservoir is about a quarter inch below the minimum line on cold.
I followed the hoses but could not see any leaks, power steering pump looks dry too,. and the floor was also dry.
My question, is do you think there's a slow leak? or is it normal to lose a little bit over time? And if there's a slow leak, where should i be looking at?

Also, could recommed a power steering fluid brand?
Manual says Dexron 2 or 3 but i only see 4's at my local store.

Thanks!

y=mx+b 07-08-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qnbrew88 (Post 3653926)
Good morning all,
I was searching for this topic but couldn't find anything.

I have a 2004 V6 SR5 with 129K miles.
Yesterday i noticed my power steering fluid reservoir is about a quarter inch below the minimum line on cold.
I followed the hoses but could not see any leaks, power steering pump looks dry too,. and the floor was also dry.
My question, is do you think there's a slow leak? or is it normal to lose a little bit over time? And if there's a slow leak, where should i be looking at?

Also, could recommed a power steering fluid brand?
Manual says Dexron 2 or 3 but i only see 4's at my local store.

Thanks!

Check the boots for wetness, most leaks will probably occur on the outputs of the rack.

I'd go ahead and flush the system, then fill and monitor for now. I used Valvoline maxlife atf, since it's rated for just about every ATF type under the sun

Writeup for the flush: DIY: Power Steering Flush (4th gen specific)

Qnbrew88 07-08-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3653988)
Check the boots for wetness, most leaks will probably occur on the outputs of the rack.

I'd go ahead and flush the system, then fill and monitor for now. I used Valvoline maxlife atf, since it's rated for just about every ATF type under the sun

Writeup for the flush: DIY: Power Steering Flush (4th gen specific)

Thank you. I'll do that.

Urbanite 07-08-2021 07:25 PM

I'd also remove & clean the reservoir while you're at it, it makes a big difference in the long run!