Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   JBA Offroad Upper Control Arm Install (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/298716-jba-offroad-upper-control-arm-install.html)

infamousRNR 07-08-2021 01:45 PM

JBA Offroad Upper Control Arm Install

are you guys getting tired of our videos yet?????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/noBts3Qf5rw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Devbot 07-08-2021 02:12 PM

I think it goes without saying your guys' channel is one of the most appreciated assets on here :usa2:

Breaker Bar 07-08-2021 10:04 PM

T4R folks will never tire of your guys’ videos. I like that JBA added a threaded hole for the ABS bracket, my set from a couple of years ago doesn't and has the bracket zip tied to the arm. One thing I noticed is that you torqued the through bolt while it was up on jack stands… On the UCA’s I’ve installed the instructions always mentioned to torque at ride height with the wheels installed.

counterculture 07-08-2021 10:24 PM

Thanks for the informative video!

JZiggy 07-08-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker Bar (Post 3654103)
T4R folks will never tire of your guys’ videos. I like that JBA added a threaded hole for the ABS bracket, my set from a couple of years ago doesn't and has the bracket zip tied to the arm. One thing I noticed is that you torqued the through bolt while it was up on jack stands… On the UCA’s I’ve installed the instructions always mentioned to torque at ride height with the wheels installed.

Since the UCA bushings are fully floating it doesn’t matter their position when the bolt is torqued. A rubber bushing is bonded to the inner and outer sleeves so it’s neutral position has to be set at ride height.

Breaker Bar 07-09-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JZiggy (Post 3654126)
Since the UCA bushings are fully floating it doesn’t matter their position when the bolt is torqued. A rubber bushing is bonded to the inner and outer sleeves so it’s neutral position has to be set at ride height.

Good to know, I did see that the bushings in the vid are different than mine from 2018. The press in poly bushings with steel sleeve inserts on my JBA’s, as well as on my Readylift UCA’s that I installed on my Ram pickup stated to torque with the tires on the ground.

infamousRNR 07-09-2021 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker Bar (Post 3654103)

looks like JZiggy beat me to the punch..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3653966)
I think it goes without saying your guys' channel is one of the most appreciated assets on here :usa2:

thanks for the kind words guys. Tim and I were beginning to wonder if anyone on here watches our stuff anymore lol

cl4Rk 07-09-2021 08:34 AM

JBA Offroad Upper Control Arm Install

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3654173)
Tim and I were beginning to wonder if anyone on here watches our stuff anymore lol

I watch at least one of your videos most days! Lol

Devbot 07-09-2021 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3654173)
looks like JZiggy beat me to the punch..

thanks for the kind words guys. Tim and I were beginning to wonder if anyone on here watches our stuff anymore lol

Literally every single repair I do I try to find something from you guys on the topic before I start :bounce:

BoomSticks 08-22-2022 06:36 PM

Any special considerations for getting the through bolt out of the passenger side?

octanejunkie 08-23-2022 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomSticks (Post 3754870)
Any special considerations for getting the through bolt out of the passenger side?

Watch Tim and Sean's video, you have to remove the airbox and loosen the AC lines. Passenger was easier than the driver side IIRC.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BoomSticks 10-17-2022 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octanejunkie (Post 3754929)
Watch Tim and Sean's video, you have to remove the airbox and loosen the AC lines. Passenger was easier than the driver side IIRC.

Yep, they didn't mention it, because there aren't any special considerations. I didn't have to move anything to get the passenger side bolt out.

mac33 12-01-2022 12:41 PM

bringing this old thread back up, sorry.

Anyone have any issues with JBA? Highly consider it but also considering SPC. Talk me into/out of one another.

RockAuto discontinued SPC so unable to get it cheaper.

Bad Luck 12-01-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac33 (Post 3772760)

Anyone have any issues with JBA? Highly consider it but also considering SPC. Talk me into/out of one another.

Mevotech branded SPC control arms are still out there. Google MEVOTECH CMS861193 and MEVOTECH CMS861192.

cblock406 12-01-2022 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac33 (Post 3772760)

When I did mine, JBA's didn't have adjustable caster like SPC, so I ruled them out and went SPC. No regrets. Maybe they are different now?