Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   6th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   6th Gen Steering Wheel (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/6th-gen-t4rs/298748-6th-gen-steering-wheel.html)

mteolus 07-09-2021 04:16 PM

6th Gen Steering Wheel

1 Attachment(s)
Seems like a trend for manufacturers to make steering wheels as a T-shape with a hole in the bottom that is too small to put your hand through. I personally like driving with my hand on the bottom of the wheel like you can in the current 5th gen. Anyone else with the same opinion? Check out the new Land Cruiser's steering wheel. I hope it isn't like this in the next Gen 4Runner.

Mbdelta 07-25-2021 11:43 AM

I actually think that mock-up looks really sweet. I’m partial to the steering wheel in my 4th gen, but as far as modern wheels go, that design looks pretty solid.

Putt4Doe 07-28-2021 09:57 AM

I agree. I think that looks purrrrrrrty! Of course, my kids could make a mess of it in .02 seconds!

BearBio 07-28-2021 03:14 PM

I'm old fashioned I guess but I've had two FJ40's, which are famous for breaking thumbs, so I got out of the habit of using things like that.

Just saying!

mrk95 08-08-2021 04:03 PM

You don't want your hand anywhere inside the steering wheel circle. Should someone cut you off or a freak accident happen where that airbag deploys before you can move your hands, and you'll have mush for forearms and wrists.

Under, over, outside... never inside.

aemravan 11-19-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk95 (Post 3662512)
You don't want your hand anywhere inside the steering wheel circle. Should someone cut you off or a freak accident happen where that airbag deploys before you can move your hands, and you'll have mush for forearms and wrists.

I am of the opinion that we need to stop taking away all the darwin-award winning things people can accomplish if you let them.. So I say they should definitely enlarge the steering wheel opening to allow not for just one, but both hands to be placed on the inside :)

shiftgear 11-22-2021 09:14 PM

That's a sick steering wheel, if it looks like that, I love it!

shiftgear 11-22-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk95 (Post 3662512)

I have a co worker who is missing his left thumb, blew off because he loved holding his hand in the middle of the wheel while going straight, he's lucky he didn't lose more fingers.