Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   T4R went into “Limp Mode” (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/298780-t4r-went-into-“limp-mode”.html)

Saker 07-11-2021 11:15 AM

T4R went into “Limp Mode”

So , on June 11 my truck went into limp mode.
After sitting in my truck for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, on the phone making appointments, with the truck in park and my foot on the brake, I put my truck and drive all of a sudden this is what happens see video!
Truck was put on a flatbed wrecker and brought to the dealer.

The code was P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System Stuck Open

They noticed I had a sprint booster in-line and blamed it on that. I went to the dealership & removed the sprint booster.
They cleared the code, restarted the truck and engine rpm was approximately 2000, so the set it to relearn, restarted the truck and everything went back to normal.

Well, I thought everything was good until yesterday when it happened again.
Truck sat idling for 10-15 minutes in park, got back in truck, foot on the brake, put in reverse….. LIMP MODE.
Same screens flashing on dash.
Good thing I was next door to the dealership when it happened and I limped into the service isle.
So that’s where it sits now waiting to be evaluated.

Truck in Limp Mode on Vimeo

spartacus 07-11-2021 11:38 AM

They will in all probability replace the throttle body, The issue sometimes pops up even after that and the resolution seems to be a new ecm. Goodluck.

j-dub 07-11-2021 09:44 PM

Dang,
Curious to find out what happened. Hope it is nothing serious, wonder if the truck is doing some sort of throttle adaption to compensate for the sprint booster and it it now at the end of its compensation range.

MyanRagahis 07-11-2021 10:16 PM

Similar issue with mine but I can fix it by pulling my battery terminals for a minute or two and remove the pedal commander and it's back to normal. These newer 4Runners have a lot more new gadgets that make it more difficult I guess, assuming it correlates with your spring booster.

Mine would go into limp mode constantly with my pedal commander after a few weeks. Correct usage and installation and all.
Some people have issues with them, some don't. It's trash to me and stays in my trunk now because I haven't cared for it.

Saker 07-11-2021 10:41 PM

I need to clarify, the sprint booster was removed after the first episode. It is not in the T4R.

SteadFAST 4Runner 07-12-2021 11:47 AM

Do you think it was that you were holding the brake down for too long?

JAXJeremy 07-12-2021 12:01 PM

I'm curious to hear what the diagnosis is..

Saker 07-12-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteadFAST 4Runner (Post 3655078)
Do you think it was that you were holding the brake down for too long?

No, the second time, on the brake long enough to place in reverse…. That’s it.

ElectroBoy 07-12-2021 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3654954)
I need to clarify, the sprint booster was removed after the first episode. It is not in the T4R.

The SB would not cause that kind of failure. The error codes for the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor are P2120 thru P2138.

As @spartacus said P2111 is a related to a throttle body problem. See the DTC chart.

Have you got any status updates from the dealer yet?

Saker 07-12-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3655242)
The SB would not cause that kind of failure. The error codes for the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor are P2120 thru P2138.

As @spartacus said P2111 is a related to a throttle body problem. See the DTC chart.

Have you got any status updates from the dealer yet?

I can’t see the jpg (DTC Chart) you supplied!

I heard today, it threw the same P2111 code.
They can’t seem to duplicate the issue.

I voiced to them I thought it was the throttle body or the ecm.

ElectroBoy 07-12-2021 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3655248)
I can’t see the jpg (DTC Chart) you supplied!

I heard today, it threw the same P2111 code.
They can’t seem to duplicate the issue.

I voiced to them I thought it was the throttle body or the ecm.

These intermittent problems can be a pain to solve. Sometimes it’s cheaper to shotgun it and replace likely components vs spending a lot of labor hours troubleshooting it.

Let me try attaching those photos of DTCs again, FYI.

1000MPH 07-13-2021 12:03 AM

Does anyone know what causes the pics to post like that?

ElectroBoy 07-13-2021 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000MPH (Post 3655278)
Does anyone know what causes the pics to post like that?

This is strange. When I preview them they’re ok. When I save them they’re ok. But when I refresh the webpage they’re gone.

Maybe there’s a max amount of photo space allocated to each user. I’m gonna try to delete some early pics I uploaded years ago to free up space.

Edit: Nope.

Tried PDFs, nope.

Tried another .jpg. After saving it appears then gets deleted.

Saker 07-13-2021 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3655279)
This is strange. When I preview them they’re ok. When I save them they’re ok. But when I refresh the webpage they’re gone.

Maybe there’s a max amount of photo space allocated to each user. I’m gonna try to delete some early pics I uploaded years ago to free up space.

Edit: Nope.

Tried PDFs, nope.

Tried another .jpg. After saving it appears then gets deleted.

Try to resize to 150kb or smaller, see if that will work on the jpg's.

ElectroBoy 07-13-2021 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3655297)
Try to resize to 150kb or smaller, see if that will work on the jpg's.

I’ve tried all sorts of combinations of sizes. Never had this problem before. It’s a mystery for now.

If you have access to the 2016-2019 Repair Manual the troubleshooting procedure is on pages 3788-3793.

The repair possibilities are:
Clean the throttle body with motor assembly,
Repair/replace ECM wire harness or connector,
Replace throttle body with motor assembly,
Replace ECM.

TOYOTA 2016-2019 4Runner Repair Manual RM27F0U

This is what the Toyota techs would be doing to diagnose your problem. Hard failures are easy to find following procedures. Intermittents are harder. But there is one procedure where they wiggle the connector/harness to try detecting poor connections. Hopefully they will have results for you soon.

Good luck with this.