Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear shocks - Tokico or Gen 4 Bilstein 5160? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/298832-rear-shocks-tokico-gen-4-bilstein-5160-a.html)

RidingDirty 07-13-2021 03:23 PM

Rear shocks - Tokico or Gen 4 Bilstein 5160?

Hey I'm can't make a final decision with my rear shocks. I'm looking at either Tokico Blacks or Gen 4 Bilstein 5160s (25-227611) to match my Dobinsons 210V rear coils. I know that in order to fit the Tokicos I will need to drill out a larger hole at the top shock mount (11/16" to 15/16" diameter). But if I drill out a larger hole for the Tokicos will that mean I will have trouble using other shocks in the future? Like if I want to switch to the 5160s sometime later, won't the top mount have too much play due to the oversized hole? Or do the bushings and retainers keep the shock from shifting at the top? I know this is probably a simple concept, but for some reason it is causing me a lot of confusion. Thank you.

Devbot 07-13-2021 04:24 PM

I cannot get enough of my Tokico+210v combo. Highly recommend. My ONLY gripe is they ride a tad bouncy without weight, but nothing a couple sandbags couldn't fix (if you have a rear steel bumper, then perfect). People also always mentioned something about drilling out a hole for Tokicos but they popped right in for me with no issue, not sure why but I definitely didn't need to drill a thing

RomanSchnobrich 07-13-2021 05:37 PM

I also enjoy the ride my black Tokicos provide, and didn't have to enlarge the mounting hole. There's a big thread on it somewhere on this forum; most folks don't drill out the hole (if I recall correctly) and never have any issues.

Bad Luck 07-13-2021 05:46 PM

I think you have to drill out the hole if you use the metal centering washer that came with the FJ80's (the metal washer that goes between the bottom of the rear shock mount and the bushing) or you just reuse the 4Runner stuff.

Devbot 07-13-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3655470)
I think you have to drill out the hole if you use the metal centering washer that came with the FJ80's (the metal washer that goes between the bottom of the rear shock mount and the bushing) or you just reuse the 4Runner stuff.

Hell I'm not even using one with my Tokicos at all, only the retaining washers at each end, didn't have enough room! Iirc this was another very common thing; not having enough threads to start the top nut when using the centering washer
If you think about it it's not really crucial anyways, if they served any serious purpose or perhaps helped protect the bushings then two would be required - one for each - instead of having one of them covered at both ends by washers and the other being pressed directly against the body from one side

Fiffa 07-13-2021 09:40 PM

Love my 210v/4G 5160 combo!

I do, however, have about an extra 350 lbs. of constant weight on top and in back, so it may be a bit less forgiving if you're running stock weights.

Will soak up even little bumps on the road and won't over-articulate on tight corner transitions. Off-road they act like they were designed to work as a set!