Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Lost ma Brakes today (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/298964-lost-ma-brakes-today.html)

giguchan 07-18-2021 04:45 PM

Lost ma Brakes today

Driving along at 65 and then nothing.. pedal to the floor. Saw a giant splash of fluid on the inside driver side wheel. More to come.

cl4Rk 07-18-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giguchan (Post 3656797)
Driving along at 65 and then nothing.. pedal to the floor. Saw a giant splash of fluid on the inside driver side wheel. More to come.

Whoah!!

RotaryDreamz 07-18-2021 09:07 PM

That sounds scary. Assuming you were able to stop without an accident I hope. Busted brake line?

Sparky 97Runner 07-18-2021 09:12 PM

Wow! Thank god for a properly adjusted e-brake.

Devbot 07-18-2021 09:24 PM

^^^And properly using it! Too hard while too fast will make you flip like no other

FD7683 07-19-2021 01:02 AM

I remember when my front brake line off the little 06 Civic bursted and lost all brakes! My master cylinder needed to be replaced due to pumping and running it bone dry which ruined the inner seals. Gook luck and glad you're ok!

Bad Luck 07-19-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3656870)
^^^And properly using it! Too hard while too fast will make you flip like no other

I wish that was a problem with my parking brake. I can't even lock the rear up when it rains. I've replaced both bell cranks and adjusted them per the FSM, verified both cables move correctly, adjusted the hand brake, and my rear drums are adjusted correctly as well. Worst parking brake I've ever had in a vehicle.

Skulking 07-19-2021 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3657075)
I wish that was a problem with my parking brake. I can't even lock the rear up when it rains. I've replaced both bell cranks and adjusted them per the FSM, verified both cables move correctly, adjusted the hand brake, and my rear drums are adjusted correctly as well. Worst parking brake I've ever had in a vehicle.

It's good to know I'm not the only person who has completely rebuilt their rear brakes and still can't get the parking brake to do much of anything.

pluton 07-19-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skulking (Post 3657078)
It's good to know I'm not the only person who has completely rebuilt their rear brakes and still can't get the parking brake to do much of anything.

Following advice found in this forum, I occasionally use the P-brake to bring the car to a stop (low speed normal driving). The rear brakes seem to in the best possible adjustment after doing this. Of course, 'best possible' for the P-brake on a 3rd gen 4Runner is not saying much.

gamefreakgc 07-20-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluton (Post 3657250)
Following advice found in this forum, I occasionally use the P-brake to bring the car to a stop (low speed normal driving). The rear brakes seem to in the best possible adjustment after doing this. Of course, 'best possible' for the P-brake on a 3rd gen 4Runner is not saying much.

Ha, especially when you use the parking brake on a steep hill and you feel the vehicle slowing slipping backwards anyway...

diverscale 07-20-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giguchan (Post 3656797)

The small, short part of curved brake line that is connected to the calipers/brake drums, gets very rusty and thin on these older cars. I would not be surprised this is the part that failed. Hope you give us news about the failure mode.

I think more of use should have a look at them. I've absolutely got to replace mine for sure next time I'm working on brakes. All my lines look pristine but these ends. And very easy to do with the copper/nickel brown lines, which you can bend by hand, and they don't rust anymore.

brillo_76 07-21-2021 01:57 PM

This is why I am glad my state has state inspections as things like this are mostly caught annually when the vehicle is checked for safety. Brake lines rust out here. when they get really rusty mostly they are changed before failure to prevent things like this from happening.

Glad nobody was injured on the break loss