Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   '08 T4R Front Brake Calipers OEM or Aftermarket? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/298965-08-t4r-front-brake-calipers-oem-aftermarket.html)

lemii 07-18-2021 04:58 PM

'08 T4R Front Brake Calipers OEM or Aftermarket?

Thought I would rebuild my front calipers, but on both there is one piston stuck solid...so I'm looking to purchase replacements. I intend to keep the vehicle for perhaps another 10 years, I bought it new and it has 115k miles on it.

So, what's the general consensus (if there is one) OEM $530 for both fronts or aftermarket $180 for both (such as Power Stop)? I do have Power Stop rotors and pads on it.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Syr4RinNC 07-18-2021 08:51 PM

Not the most popular opinion, but Im pretty happy with mine from Tennessee. I think they were about $125 each and They have a lifetime warranty on them

lemii 07-19-2021 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3656864)
Not the most popular opinion, but Im pretty happy with mine from Tennessee. I think they were about $125 each and They have a lifetime warranty on them

from Tennessee??? Where exactly did you get them?

Thanks

UrbanRunner651 07-19-2021 07:49 AM

Just go aftermarket with a lifetime warranty. Add some paint for extra protection as the aftermarket finished typically rust pretty fast.

Too Stroked 07-19-2021 01:52 PM

If you're planning on keeping your vehicle and / or you don't want to be replacing them more frequently, go OEM. The biggest thing that fails on aftermarket / rebuilt calipers is the seals. Once the seals fail, it's all downhill and you'll take out your pads and rotors with the calipers.

By using sub-standard parts, the aftermarket calipers are less expensive to manufacture and sell. The lifetime warranty sounds good until you have to use it every year and it doesn't cover the other stuff that gets wiped out.

As Clint Eastwood once said, "So kid, you feeling lucky?"

84ability 07-19-2021 04:00 PM

Buy the nice ones from NAPA with the lifetime warranty. I've had to get one replaced and it wasn't too big of a hassle, just hold onto your receipt.

Too Stroked 07-19-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84ability (Post 3657105)
Buy the nice ones from NAPA with the lifetime warranty. I've had to get one replaced and it wasn't too big of a hassle, just hold onto your receipt.

Of all of the aftermarket parts out there, I would take NAPA over any of them. Especially any "premium" parts that they offer.

lemii 07-20-2021 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84ability (Post 3657105)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 3657134)
Of all of the aftermarket parts out there, I would take NAPA over any of them. Especially any "premium" parts that they offer.

I bought a set from NAPA yesterday. Now all I need are the new rotors and brake pads...I wll rebuild the rear calipers as they were not fozen.

Then it's just a matter of installing the parts and flushing the brake fluid!

Thanks all

rwh963 07-20-2021 08:20 PM

look into reman toyota calipers. i recently had my rears done. the caliper side was $110 each. remanned by toyota. not sure about the fronts.

make sure if you need the brackets, pins, bushings etc as well. unlike aftermarkets, toyota sells each part individually.

Flesh Eater 07-20-2021 08:25 PM

I love the Z36 Power Stop. I have installed them on five vehicles. My one vehicle has towed a trailer from Pennsylvania to South Dakota, did a trip to Colorado, and has towed 8 hours south to WV around 6 times on them. Problem free with frequent maintenance on the slide pins.

Oh and the trailer is around 2,990lbs. and no trailer brakes.

My full size truck is running the Z36 as well and I’ve done a lot of 7,000lbs. towing with it. Zero brake issues.

Syr4RinNC 07-20-2021 09:18 PM

I meant mavis tires. I was checking google to see if they have mavis tires in Tn
and typed that without thinking apparently

but yea, happy with mine from mavis tires and lifetime warranty

lemii 07-21-2021 07:59 AM

I ruined a set of the Z36 Power Stop rotors due to the frozen up calipers. I received the new Z36 rotors and pads yesterday. I bead blasted and painted the rear calipers yesterday and will install new seals etc. today, then begin the install. I'll also flush the brake fluid...any watchouts for that process? I plan to start with the rear passenger side, then rear driver side, then front passenger side, and finish up with the front driver side.

Thanks all.

lemii 08-06-2021 08:26 AM

Update:

2008 T4R Limited, V8, 116, 800 miles.

Replaced the front calipers with NAPA remanufactured calipers with lifetime warranty: $188 for both after core charge. Could not rebuild the orignal due to seized pistons in each one. I believe this was the culprit of the rotors warping!

Bead-blasted, painted, and rebuilt rear calipers as I was able to remove the piston from each one.

Replaced Powerstop Rotors (front & back) which were both warped with new Poerstop Rotors and brake pads - Z36 Truck & Tow Kit - $360.77 from AutoAnything.com.

Flushed the original brake fluid, with the help of the wife.

Brakes work great with no hint of any shimmying. Success!

S p a r k y 08-06-2021 08:49 AM

Hate to say this now, You can upgrade to 5th gen calipers that don't have the sticking or freezing problem. Napa ones freeze as well. Had mine for 15 years and have swapped my NAPA's several times due to freezing up. Wish i had done 5th gen. But now that im NAPA, i am staying.

When Napa's freeze, go buy a new napa caliper, swap at home. Then return the napa and they will swap with the warranty. Saves trips to and from.

lemii 08-06-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S p a r k y (Post 3661910)
Hate to say this now, You can upgrade to 5th gen calipers that don't have the sticking or freezing problem. Napa ones freeze as well. Had mine for 15 years and have swapped my NAPA's several times due to freezing up. Wish i had done 5th gen. But now that im NAPA, i am staying.

When Napa's freeze, go buy a new napa caliper, swap at home. Then return the napa and they will swap with the warranty. Saves trips to and from.

Thanks for the advice - should I have to do another brake job due to frozen calipers, I may bite the bullet and do the T5R conversion. I'd have to read up on the details though; I'd rather not have to modify anything on the wheel hubs and such.