Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   So....this is a dumb question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/299025-so-dumb-question.html)

Mudflaps 07-21-2021 11:46 AM

So....this is a dumb question

So, I'm halfway through doing a timing belt and water pump job. I reinserted the crank bolt to properly time the engine but.....now I cant back the crank pulley bolt back out....you know the struggle Im sure.

I cant do the old wrap a belt onto itself trick since the belt and tensioner are already on. Anyone have any other clever ideas?

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

phattyduck 07-21-2021 12:42 PM

Impact? If not, DIY a pulley holder. There are M8x1.25 holes in the crank pulley for this exact purpose.

-Charlie

Bad Luck 07-21-2021 02:06 PM

Use an impact on it

AJPuleo23 07-21-2021 03:16 PM

If an impact and DIY cam tool are not available, I used this and it worked just as intended.

Amazon.com: EWK Universal Camshaft Pulley Holder Cam Sprocket Holding Tool Camshaft Tool for Ford GM Honda Mazda Nissan Toyota Volvo: Automotive

brillo_76 07-21-2021 03:32 PM

I agree with the others. I use impact tools for that specific reason. :-)

I think the auto parts stores have a free loan a tools programs if you don't have one.. :-)

Mudflaps 07-21-2021 07:23 PM

Okay so I guess Im gonna go the impact route. Hopefully I can find a small enough impact wrench to fit lol. Thanks for the help, guys.

mtbtim 07-22-2021 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudflaps (Post 3657706)
Okay so I guess Im gonna go the impact route. Hopefully I can find a small enough impact wrench to fit lol. Thanks for the help, guys.

Use a small 3/8" impact and you'll be able to get in there. The bolt shouldn't be that tight. When we shot the video for this job, we held one of the cam pulleys with a special tool and the belt was able to hold the crankshaft timing gear while we loosened the 19mm crank bolt. There is a chance you could skip a tooth doing this but I doubt it. Like I said, the bolt shouldn't be that tight just from turning over the engine. But, the safer option is an impact.

The crankshaft timing gear does have two threaded bolt holes which are a M6 x 1.0 thread pitch. Like Charlie said, you could make your own holder tool with some scrap metal or a piece of wood.

G_Raw 07-22-2021 10:22 AM

What Tim said small 3/8's. I got my Milwaukee 3/8 stubby in there and it did the trick.

phattyduck 07-22-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3657768)
The crankshaft timing gear does have two threaded bolt holes which are a M6 x 1.0 thread pitch. Like Charlie said, you could make your own holder tool with some scrap metal or a piece of wood.

Oh, shoot, you may be right that they are M6 instead of M8... Either way...

-Charlie

mtbtim 07-22-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3657902)
Oh, shoot, you may be right that they are M6 instead of M8... Either way...

-Charlie

The crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) has M8 x 1.25 bolt threads so you were right. I'm just assuming he doesn't have the crank pulley on yet and he's dealing with just the crankshaft timing gear which has M6 x 1.0 bolt threads.