Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Driving down steep fsr (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/299311-driving-down-steep-fsr.html)

bjornbjorn 08-01-2021 07:25 PM

Driving down steep fsr

I am new to off roading, I have a 5th generation 4runner. What is the best way to travel down a steep fsr without having to burn out the brakes? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

The road is relatively smooth, it was just graveled to smooth out the pot holes but it's steep

biratley 08-01-2021 08:25 PM

Driving down steep fsr

Use the manual shift option and drop
Her down a gear or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sp00ner 08-01-2021 08:25 PM

Keep the gears down on the transmission, if it's REALLY steep you can use 4LO, but I cant imagine that on a graded road.

Jakeepoo3 10-11-2021 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ner (Post 3660708)
Keep the gears down on the transmission, if it's REALLY steep you can use 4LO, but I cant imagine that on a graded road.

Like spooner said. If it's extremely steep go 4 lo and use your DAC. You won't even need to touch your breaks. In fact that disengages DAC as soon as you touch the brake.

MAST4R 10-12-2021 02:48 AM

In the Rockies, there are dirt roads where second-third gear in low range is the ticket.

For trails, the gearing is not low enough so if the spot is not terrible (then crawl control is perfect), there is nothing you can do but first gear low + brakes.

Sp00ner 10-16-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAST4R (Post 3680238)
In the Rockies, there are dirt roads where second-third gear in low range is the ticket.

For trails, the gearing is not low enough so if the spot is not terrible (then crawl control is perfect), there is nothing you can do but first gear low + brakes.

I've honestly become more and more fond of crawl control as I've used it more and more. I used it a few times on some steep sketchy wet clay downhills at the offroad park a couple weeks ago and then did the same without it, it was a pretty incredible difference.

I just wish the process to engage it and dial it in was less clunky. I love having button on the upper center 'console' but in this case it feels like both the wrong place and the wrong 'method' to engage and set. The way it engages doesn't help either.

beingnotdoing 10-18-2021 07:11 PM

I have a 3rd gen, so no fancy downhill assist for me. Use 2nd and then low gear to slow you down. When that isn't enough, drop into 4lo and that reduction in gear ratios will slow you down, as well.

I used every trick I had to get down a steep grade with switchbacks this last weekend in the Washington and Jefferson National Forest. I put the transfer case into 4lo, put the transmission into low, and used my brakes as sparingly as possible, but as much as necessary. I also stopped half way down for about five minutes to let the brakes cool off. I'd rather take it slow than realize I'm experiencing brake fade halfway down a dangerous-as-hell decline.

YEAHYEAHHH 01-17-2022 02:06 PM

Does DAC work in snowy conditions?

techno 01-18-2022 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YEAHYEAHHH (Post 3704212)
Does DAC work in snowy conditions?

I do not recommend DAC in snow, ice or muddy conditions. The system relies on good traction, otherwise it gets really confused. Use engine braking in low range 1st or 2nd instead.

Muskrat14 08-22-2022 11:00 PM

I’ve used Crawl Control a few times on steep down hills w loose rock. I thought it did well.

I’ve also used it a bunch on flat trails that would require a lot of gas brake. It’s a nice brake from pedaling on a long trail here n there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk